Mystery Scorpion or Stonefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YoyoSponge

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been so far unable to find info on this weird little guy.
It looks like about half it's body is head.
The way it moves is by hopping, quite like a bunny, on it's large pectoral fins.
Found in the South China Sea, shallow water between 0 and 30 feet depending on the day.
Generally I see this individual in an open sandy area, but have spotted him once or twice on the reef.
It is about four inches when it's tail is curled as you see in the photo.
I do have a video I could upload if you think it would help.
Thanks. vlcsnap-2013-08-26-18h37m55s146.jpg

thanks supergaijin,
But looking at the various Synanceia members after your suggestion, I cam to the conclusion that its eyes are too low on its head to be in this genus.
After poking around in the order a bit more, I found "Erosa erosa" in the
Synanceiinae order (fishbase). It looks like a match, but there is another species in the Erosa genus too. I'm confident that this is a close match: the pitted stonefish Erosa erosa, Pitted stonefish

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 10:29 AM ----------

Im uploading a video of this guy so you can see how he moves. It is quite silly.
You will see it here:Pitted Stonefish Erosa erosa - YouTube

Looks good to me- I had never heard of Erosa erosa before. I wonder where they got the 'Eros' from? It sounds a little sexy- not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Stonefish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom