Myth busters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian:
He got free advertising though, maybe even paid to say it. Most of the had on "Stuart's Cove" wetsuits and everything, and I"m sure it will drum up business for him. It was very odd hearing him say it though.

Stuart's Cove said nothing about tanks blowing up, you have the two shops confused. The guy that compared an AL80 to a bomb is from Bamboo Reef in SF, they have a few shops here in Nor-Cal, their Monterey store is the best dive shop in monterey IMO.

for the one who missed this is the scooter we are talking about
scubadoo_b1.jpg

One thing I thought was amusing was they showed "Stuart's Cove" all over most of the wetsuits, but the girl was wearing an O'Neill, and they blurred out the logo. Wonder why?

I thought it was a pretty cool show. Definitely makes me think twice about going down in a cage with a GW. That's the second time my wife has seen video of a GW (simulated or real) taking apart a shark cage. Last Shark Week, they showed a video of a real GW taking a wrong turn and going THROUGH a shark cage...

bob1dp:
Excuse my ignorance but I though people were diving steel tanks when the original jaws came out.
Most were, but in the movie you can see that the tank is flat-bottomed, especially in the scene where the bashes it in the nose. Also they brought the actual tank to the Mythbusters show, and it was definitley an AL tank.

I Tivo'd the show, and had to fast forward thru all the blathering to actually see the results, it just got to the point that I couldn't stand listening to Jamie anymore :wink:

Jaws was a movie, for entertainment, if they would have shot the bottom of the tank and then the tank took off like a missle thru the shark, well that's not very pretty, nor very entertaining. Big explosion, entertaining, seeing a "missle" of compressed air rip thru a huge animal, gross (blood and guts everywhere, at least in the sceen in jaw's you can see the bolts flying tword the camera, yea you can, use the slow mo feature!!!).

As far as some of the other myths... I don't think anyone should jump into the water in "armor" and then start punching sharks, there was a very real possiblity that he could have ended up with a shark up his arm (his fist in the belly) and they have enough jaw force to still break your bones even in the sharp teeth won't go thru the "armor"...

And the part about the piano wire.... COME ON GUYS have you NEVER BEEN FISHING??? I routinely catch trout on 2lb. test mono filimant that weigh in at 5 or 6 lbs. (catch and release area). It's well known in fishing that you can catch fish that weigh more than the "test" of the line your using, you just can't "haul" them up in the boat like your some kind of crane, you have to use a net, and you have to have some degree of finesse with a rod and reel.

Anyway, the show is entertaining at least (I mean I really dig see'n what's her face in the bikini, though someone should have told her that if your on National TV you should really shave your arm pits before the camera catch's you. DISCLAIMER: My wife is the one that pointed this out, if you have this show recorded or on Tivo you can verify this by watching the part where she's in the red bikini, she reaches across the camera's shot and BOOM! face full of arm hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, anyway>... I should really get back to my cert book :wink:

JustinW:
Stuart's Cove said nothing about tanks blowing up, you have the two shops confused. The guy that compared an AL80 to a bomb is from Bamboo Reef in SF, they have a few shops here in Nor-Cal, their Monterey store is the best dive shop in monterey IMO.

Oops, sorry. I was going by memory and we all know how reliable that is in old folks, hehe. Of course I'm not old, I'm just practicing for later in life.

Speaking of AL 80 bombs, I wonder if it would have exploded if the tank was filled with 100% oxygen instead of "air".

One last thing: Does anyone else long for the old Mythbuster days (like first season instead of second) when they didn't have a bunch of flunkies doing everything? Every time I see the interns doing something it makes me feel like Adam and Jamie are these huge celebrities that have lackey's doing their work now. That or maybe someone said, "hey, we need to add some hot chicks!"

Yeah, no kidding. The first season was nice, now Jamie and Adam are 'o so holy' and the 'little ones' are doing the work.

As for the O2, this was a 'Jaws' reproduction, and they sure weren't using pure O2 in those tanks. I doubt if it would have exploded even then. Oxygen doesn't explode or even burn, it just accelerates something else burning.

Kriterian:
Speaking of AL 80 bombs, I wonder if it would have exploded if the tank was filled with 100% oxygen instead of "air".
What O2 does is make other stuff more likely to burn, even stuff you wouldn't expect to burn at 21% will burn like crazy at 50% or greater O2. To get an explosion you'd still need something that would expand fast enough to explode (like hydrocarbons).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom