Myth busters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of 100% O2, I would liked to have seen 100% H - Hydrogen. But that's pretty dangerous to work with, even for "experts" like the mythbusters...

rottielover:
Instead of 100% O2, I would liked to have seen 100% H - Hydrogen. But that's pretty dangerous to work with, even for "experts" like the mythbusters...

Ah thanks for the O2 explanations, and hydrogen would have indeed been cool.

The other thing I'm wondering about is in the teaser commercials where they scratch the chalkboard, one of the myths is that sharks go after a certain color. Now they have another commercial where they ask the same thing and it shows Jamie painting Adam red, but that wasn't on the show at all. Maybe they're going to be doing another one or something, atleast I hope.

they showed it in Singapore 2 days ago & i was glued to the TV watching it.. fascinating stuff.. they even used an armored personnel carrier to pull a "Sharrammer" (a cylindrical ramming pole wif the head of a shark) to simulate the force of a real GW ramming a boat.. sorry but the part that really cracked me up was the mechanical dummy trying to punch the sharks (to prove if hitting a shark's snout will cause it to back off) & the guy holding it underwater kept screaming "punch! punch! punch!" to the lever controller on the boat..

Just an FYI on my previous post:

Right after I finished typing it, they did a 5 minute mini-show right before another shark show. They were testing the color theory to see if sharks preferred "yum-yum yellow" over other colors. After the Surviving Shark Bites: Great White show was over they did a conclusion to the color test.

I think the most interesting thing was that they "proved out" (in as much as MythBusters can) that yum-yum yellow actually gets more test bites than black or silver...

One of my dive buddies has a total yellow thing. All his stuff is yellow. Does that mean diving with him reduces my chance of a shark attack by MORE than 50%? I think it does. :p

Did anyone see the episode that was on shortly after the "jaws" episode?

They were trying to prove the "duck underwater if your getting shot at" (like in a whole lot of movies).

At first I thought "well duh, any firearms enthusast is going to be able to tell you this one", obviously water being so much denser than air is going to cause a projectile to dissapate it's energy very quickly (thus why the bullets "powdered" when they hit the water).

The funniest part was when they used a 12ga shotgun w/ SLUG straight down into a 10 ft. tank of water.... DUH! I'm just glad no one got hurt, CA needs to enact a law saying "Mythbusters are NOT allowed guns!" LOL Next thing you know the'll be testing the "Can the Glock 17 really fire underwater" myth (which BTW I can already tell you that the Glock 17 is the ONLY gun (that I'm aware of) that *CAN* fire totally submerged (it needs special "marine" cups modification, and all air must be vented)... Def. need some ear plugs with that one!

Any my favorite part was them firing the .50 cal Barrett rifle into the pool (the water hit the ceiling!).

Saw it and liked it, though I didn't see the color test? When was that? Did I just miss part of the first half?

Loved the shark punching on a number of levels, though the two biggest laugh points were where they went to get the fists, and that whole "I just had one of those 'what in the hell am I doing?' moments".

I wanted to see the scuba bomb too, though seeing the tank seem to 'levitate' for a second from the force of the air, before spinning off, was pretty cool.

Naturally, the C4 was cooler, but that's cheating.

When was this shot though? They kept saying a shark had never gone through a shark cage, but didn't a GW go straight through one in South Africa (guy wasn't seriously injured)?

Ishie:
When was this shot though? They kept saying a shark had never gone through a shark cage, but didn't a GW go straight through one in South Africa (guy wasn't seriously injured)?

Actually a couple of years before, SharkWeek showed video of a GW that DID go right through a cage. The three divers inside were hanging on to the roof, and their fins sticking up through the bars, while the GW spun like a spindle. It went through one side, and out the other. When they pulled the cage up and put it on deck, it just fell apart like a house of cards.

I remember the video pretty clearly. I'd almost had my wife talked into doing a cage dive, and the clip sealed that trip for sure. She'll never do a cage dive with GWs now. :(

One, I wonder why MythBusters didn't remember a video presented by a previous SharkWeek, and two, I wonder how I can get a clip of that. It'd be great to impress my non-diving friends. ((Though showing that clip won't do much to improve the poor shark's rep.))

Thanks for the info!

Shame about your wife not wanting to do it now though. I'd really love to do the Guadalupe expedition, but the cost is a bit prohibitive, but perhaps more crucially, with my propensity for seasickness, I honestly don't know if I could handle five days on a boat with chum on board without throwing myself overboard sans cage. One of the classic problems with seasickness is that the misery can easily make one far less safety conscious.

Someday though...

I do wonder why they didn't reference back to that incident, especially if it was on SharkWeek before. I kept seeing all the shows on shark attacks, and generally changed the channel, so it was pretty disappointing this time. The Mythbuster stunts were pretty cool.

Another question: Was anyone else less than thrilled with the way they did the strength test with the reef sharks? Obviously any method isn't going to ensure total accuracy, and they couldn't find any great whites for it, but it seemed like both they didn't necessarily get the highest capacity a reef shark would pull, plus a reef shark is probably so structurally different as far as muscle mass to shark weight.

Don't know about "keeping the barrels" down or the wake actually breaking over the stern, but considering that famous 10' mako in one of the tournaments had no trouble hauling a boat backwards, you'd think a 17' (or 25') GWS would be able to do an adequate job if it felt so inclined.

But maybe I'm just over critical? Loved the sharammer. It's be cool to stick a motor in it and use it as a giant stylized scooter. No crowded dive sites! Of course... you probably wouldn't see much in the way of mobile marine life.

jeffreyd:
Well guess what..

Tank shot in bottom = Missile (air just comes out of the hole, same if you opened the valve on the tank and let go)
Tank shot in side = missile
Tank laced with C4 and detonated = A big bang. (duh)

The only question I have is if the tank was steel and rusted out it "could" cause a catastrophic fracture, but an up to date tank should not explode. The one in the movie was an AL80.

Ok so we've all seen a tank being "shot" what about replacing the burst disc with a solid bolt, fill the tank. and heat to 200 degrees F and see what would result!

Whos up for the challenge?
I'm on it as we speak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom