N00b question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got my BOW this winter and now I'm really excited about getting wet this summer, but my question is. My family has a swimming pool it's an inground pool about 6 ft. deep with a vinyl lining. If I were to use this pool to work on some of my skills is there a large risk with the vinyl lining? (*We've had to replace it once so I'm a lil nervouse)

It seems like the Tanks, and the fins (if the fins are sturdy enough) could both beat the pool up. I know that I should be in control of my tank to ensure that it doesn't beat up the vinyl, but still what's the risk? Has anyone ever damaged their pool with scuba equipment? Is it better just to save skills for another pool?

Thanks ahead of time,

austin

The risk is: you could ruin the liner.

Main culprit? The first stage and yoke.

With proper care, shouldn't be a large risk.

You're all equipped for an underwater repair mission, right?

Pools are great for practicing, gaining familiarity and in certain controlled environments- introducing others to the amazement of breathing underwater.

Watch out for the Sharks!

Just be sure to rinse your gear well, after diving the pool, if you shock it with chlorine. Other than that, I agree with Doc. The pool is great for practicing basic skills, getting more comfortable with your equipment, and trying out new equipment. If you get one of those plastic thingies that go on the bottom of your tank, you'll save some wear and tear on your tank, as well as your pool liner. Good luck and congratulations.

Shouldnt be a problem at all. In-ground pools with liners normally have plywood sidewalls beneath the liner, while the bottom and sloped areas have a thin concrete substrate. I practice my skills in my mothers inground vinyl lined pool all the time...no problems. I would be careful and give consideration to the bottom of your tank however. Its not inconcievable to accidentally rake the bottom edge across the liner and tear the liner. Six feet deep is plenty of depth to practice the core skills like mask removal, mask clearing, free flow regulator simulations, fin pivots, reg. removal and recovery, etc. The more you practice these skills, the more comfortable you will be in the water. Enjoy!! :14:

My pool is concrete and therefore doesn't have the risk yours has, and I made very good use of it after my certification class to work on buoyancy and trim. If you can make circuits of a pool at 6 to 9 feet and stay accurate, it helps enormously in doing the same thing in deeper water.

You'd have to be a total "spaz" to ruin a liner with scuba gear unless you go crazy with your knife. But even if you did make a few holes, they're easily patched. We do it all the time in our hatcheries and ponds.

agreed, my wife and I practice some skills in our above ground liner pool, it's only about 3 1/2 or 4 foot deep, but that's plenty to sit down and practice mask clearing, no mask etc. etc.

Heck after I got certified we noticed that the pool was leaking, so I just rented a tank and patched it up! Sure beat having the wife stand on me to keep me down like the last time I had to do a patch (she almost didn't let me up! LOL reminder: buy her flowers now and then :wink: )

I think you and the liner will be just fine. Welcome to SCUBA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom