NACD Instructor standards violation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does answering someone's concern not count?

that was all my intent.

Pete,
I will say this regarding Rob, and this is to my recollection the only thing in this thread that I have expressed my opinion about him. Regardless of his training ability, personal ethics, any of that, he did a FANTASTIC job at trying to educate through social media. I've been at this for a while, not as long as some, longer than many. From my first ventures into sidemount in 2009, he was there posting pictures and advice. To this day he is posting random training tips that helps to keep divers from falling into complacency, and has a decent amount of gear updates on his website. On his website he has a fantastic resource explaining the how and why of certain parts of his gear. Not everything, but a lot of the big discussion points. Only other good resources like this that I know of are GUE's Equipment Configuration page, the Armadillo manual, and Steve Martin's website. It is great to see his opinion on how and why he does what he does. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant, you are seeing someone else's how and why and it is up to you to learn. If that all goes away because of this it will be a true loss to the community. He was doing a phenomenal job at trying to bring the NACD into the modern world, and regardless of your opinion on whether or not he was giving out good information or whether he was actually the one qualified to give it, he was at least trying, and that is more than most other people in similar positions in other agencies are doing. I hope that his trend of posting various training tips, keeping members updated on what the agency is doing, asking for their opinions on what they think needs to happen etc is continued and doesn't stop dead because of this.

Maybe Hetland can reply as to whether a "concern was answered" (?) but as far as I am concerned, the signal to noise ratio was too high to add any value whatsoever. But hey, JMHO.

Does answering someone's concern not count?

the noise was created after a simple response that aside from a very quick edit from TD to instructor *my fault, I admit it*, was accurate.

This is my last post on the subject bc at this point, i'm getting to be part of the problem.

But nothing you wrote has done anything to convince me that there was any value added to the conversation when you (essentially) noted that someone else was going to be responding - additionally, making a factual misstatement while you were at it and then arguing whether that mattered or not.

In summary there was zero value add and the whole thing further contributed to the image of cave divers as a bunch of (fractured) factions whispering behind each other's backs on the playground. Again - my opinion and worth exactly what it cost to read. ;-)

the noise was created after a simple response that aside from a very quick edit from TD to instructor *my fault, I admit it*, was accurate.

You mean like starting a thread in a public forum named "NACD Instructor standards violation" about an alleged incident that may have happened 2+ years ago, and then making no further comment about an investigation or its findings for a month and a half?

was in reply to Doc's post, particularly what I've emphasized:

The watershed of this is that many qualified potential candidates will have second, third and final thoughts about volunteering their services since we tend to lynch them publicly and at the drop of a hat. Rumors seem to trump reason and facts in the cave community. There's even a rumor that I started a rumor and I only host their website!

My post was less about a concern for any pending report, and more about the irony of Doc's comments in this thread.

Perhaps my memory is selective, but I don't remember such a proactive, official response once the news broke during the last round of purges. I have no knowledge or opinion on what RN did or didn't do, but I do find it interesting that it was officially posted on a public forum. The NACD (organization) seems to prefer to keep things hush-hush and confidential, even kicking out lifetime members who've dared to speak their minds about the organization (how dare they!). Now it seems to suit their purpose to publicly name and shame a board member and training director without any official finding of fact. I also have to wonder why this was announced on Scubaboard, and not on Cave Diver's Forum, which seems like the more appropriate forum, even though it's less appropriate than perhaps an email to NACD Membership.

Seems like the one(s) doing the public lynching in this particular case, are the NACD.

I love you Trace, but you are wrong here. The reason these Luddites avoid Social Media and ScubaBoard in particular is because they are scared poopless by it. They have no clue how to participate and rather than learn, they demean it and everyone who uses it. They could have a great impact on the dive and cave communities, but they hide behind their ignorance and lash out when challenged about it. The best marketing used to be word of mouth, but now it's word of internet forums. Ignore us and you're sure to go away. [/shameless plug] (By "you're", I obviously don't mean Trace, who has embraced the interwebs pretty successfully.) If you don't understand the workings of the interwebs and are a part of the industry, then please consider me your Huckleberry. I'm happy to school people in how all this social crap works and even how to get others to do your work for you. It will cost you nothing but time... and maybe a beer or two. :D [/shameless plug #2]

Yep, those agency guys are completely scared by social media. They don't have a clue how the inter-webs work, bunch of dinosaurs. They need to be put out to pasture, All of them.

My post was less about a concern for any pending report, and more about the irony of Doc's comments in this thread.
Your previous comments caused me to go back and read GDI's announcement. I see him announcing the resignation of three Board members, and referencing a very contentious investigation that has the agency in turmoil. I don't see any lynching by him or the NACD in that announcement and am surprised you can devine such intent from those words. It's my opinion that Rick has acted prudently by being so transparent. Now, that hasn't stopped a few misguided users from repeating and manufacturing rumors as if they were fact. It's simply not their fault.

As a relatively new diver with an interest in cave diving I've waded through over 500 posts... Some have flipped me on to my back to navigate them.

I am without a hound in the pack but as a perspective nacd diver I would very much appreciate more fact, education and comradeship and less rumor, snark and speculation. You all have skill oozing from your crusty old fins (I say this with the most respect, especially to those it may actually hold true) and can this somehow be passed on to the public as a messy situation is sorted out?

I can't help thinking a half dozen properly placed correspondence would have clarified much of the confusion.

Anyway, here's another penny in the pile. All the best, and I hope I get to dive with some of you! - Cameron

Breath in, breath out, repeat...

I am without a hound in the pack but as a perspective nacd diver I would very much appreciate more fact, education and comradeship and less rumor, snark and speculation.

Sorry for the hijack.

You will quickly learn that in this industry and others, nobody gives a sh!t about the next guy. Facts, real facts seldom surface, or will be distorted by noise that it become difficult to have a really clear view of things. Backstabbing, rumors, snark, speculation, distrust, lies, personal agendas, greed and shortcuts is the hallmark of some individuals. The big guys will rarely share information unless they can benefit from it. You find them everywhere and unfortunately their ways rub of onto others until we are all so 'dirty' that we don't see the wrongs anymore.

Its no different where I live. We have some big names in the industry and they don't wish any good for each other (mostly). There is so much knowledge and experience between these guys, but our industry will never benefit from this as nothing get shared while the backstabbing and speculation continues.

With ever shrinking revenue margins, the fight for survival is getting more brutal.

I am without a hound in the pack but as a perspective nacd diver I would very much appreciate more fact, education and comradeship and less rumor, snark and speculation. You all have skill oozing from your crusty old fins (I say this with the most respect, especially to those it may actually hold true) and can this somehow be passed on to the public as a messy situation is sorted out?

What you seek is there,but you won't find it from the forums since they are filled with many of the negatives intertwined with a positive. Go to the sites, meet people, fill stations too, and see for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom