"Naked" SPG Knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave line stretches when wet- has anyone tried to tie it wet (prestretched?) to see if the knot stays tighter to the hose? Of course, the melting and superglue parts could wait until the line is dry. I'd test it myself, but it's not quite time to retie all my snaps. :D

dbulmer:
Meng,
So do you want to tell a Gue instructor he didn't quite get it right? :)
Ehm, if I feel that it is not conducive to arriving at the right end point: yes. I have no issue with that. I personally would not use that knot on the last picture as my final knot if the objective is to secure a snap securely.

I would even go a bit further and NOT burn the knot itself. This lessens the overall strength of the knot. If the knot breaks (the burnt piece), AND you have two loose ends; it will come loose. If on the other hand you have two tightly and close ends directly to the knot, there is no room for movement of the ends. The knot can not come undone.

Nothing to do with GUE, but simple 'physics of the knot'

I have tried using wet nylon (well cause it was wet already) while it was a tad tighter after it dried, I ended up wishing the knot was slightly different and had to cut it off. So I actually like having the knot every so slightly moveable (with effort) so I can reorient it sometimes.

I burn the ends down into the knot. Haven't had one break yet.

I've done the "tie wet, let dry and burn ends" and agree that it was a tad tighter than I really wanted it.

Slightly off-topic, but the wet line method is just the ticket for putting a loop of cave line on your lighthead cord nut per the latest proclamation from GUE. I did it dry, and it lasted four dives. Wet, and cinching it down into the groove in the nut, seems to be the ticket.

You mean the cord gland??? Are they telling you newbies where to thread the line now too? :D

Meng,
My point was meant to be taken in fun hence the smiley. As a non DIR chap I find the minute I start to do something almost right I get a lesson in humility - part of the fun and experience of diving I think.

I do what was in the article until the last picture - I burn the ends down in the same way as rjack and then add superglue to what remains. I found it works for me personally. The reason I posted the link was because the boltsnap on my Salvo came loose at the weekend and I needed to put it back on. Fortunately my buddy had spotted it so we clipped it off with a double ender. Unfortunately my regular buddy who was diving with someone else was not so lucky and his bulb (Halcyon bulb) smashed.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom