Name for "Women Only" Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dafydd

Reaction score
Well the poll on allowing men in the womens forum is conclusive. Better than 70% that responded thought men should be allowed in here. But I don't know if this is a majority rule situation. If we were at a resturaunt and only 1% of the people at the resturaunt thought men should not be allowed in the ladies room, well that would be enough for me. So shall we leave it up the moderaters?
It turns out that this whole issue started not as an effort to remove half the people from this area on the basis of gender, but in an effort to re-evaluate the name of the forum. Therefore I pose the question, what should this forum be called? When we get a few responces I'll place another poll and we can all vote again. Keep in mind that I'm not asking "should we change the name?" That will not resolve anything. I am asking for a list of possible titles.
I'll start the ball rolling.

I like "Women Only"
But some obvious other candidates are:
Ladies Room
Girl Talk
Gender Spacific Forum

There's a start, so what do you think?

It is encouraging to see that 70
% of the women here don't believe in discriminating against guys on the basis of gender.

The women's rights movement has told us that to exclude someone on the basis of gender is immoral. Then of course they turned right around and created "take your daughters to work day", then got pissed off when most women rejected that and decided to make it into take our children to work day".

Daffydd wrote: If we were at a resturaunt and only 1% of the people at the resturaunt thought men should not be allowed in the ladies room, well that would be enough for me. So shall we leave it up the moderaters?

Let me switch gender for race, and toilets for sections so you can see how discriminatory this sounds:

If we were at a resturaunt and only 1% of the people at the restuarant thought coloreds should not be allowed in the main room, well that would be enough for me. So shall we leave it up the moderaters? "

I guess there are just people who when it comes to the opposite sex, are just really poorly adjusted. It continues to reinforce my beliefs that when families consist of both boys and girls, they both learn how to relate better.

As to Forum names, no name is going to keep out anyone just like Rosa Parks could not be made to sit in the back of the bus.

But....

Girl-talk works, how about estrogen room....or in a political parody of the feminist movement names but appropo to diving, how about Narc-Grrrl, lol

Originally posted by DrySuitDave

If we were at a resturaunt and only 1% of the people at the restuarant thought coloreds should not be allowed in the main room, well that would be enough for me. So shall we leave it up the moderaters? "

I guess there are just people who when it comes to the opposite sex, are just really poorly adjusted. It continues to reinforce my beliefs that when families consist of both boys and girls, they both learn how to relate better.

I pained over wether or not to bite on this responce, and I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not. I read DrySuit's post on another thread and found many of his commnets on this the topic that he has brought here to be interesting. I even agreed with a lot of them. Yet, he takes things too far in this area for my taste.
I feel like I've just been called a "Racist" because I would stay out of the "Ladies Toilet" in a restuarant... And did you say "People that do not have siblings of the opposite sex are Maladjusted"? This is just too far for me...

I started this simply to see how much intrest in a name change for this area is out there, and get possibilities. Then I was going to put together a poll so everyone could vote. If the consencious was that a different name would make people happy then I would suggest it to the moderateors. Right now there has not been enough intrest to pursue the matter.

As for the "Gender Equity Movement", DrySuiteDave and ladycute1
discussed this at langth in Scuba Board > General Scuba > Women Only > Female only classes
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5151&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

As for me I think that there are some real gender differances and would respect a ladies right to privacy.

"Well the poll on allowing men in the womens forum is conclusive. Better than 70% that responded thought men should be allowed in here. But I don't know if this is a majority rule situation. "

I prefer to actually talk about diving, it seems that wherever I go, i run into militant feminists who insiston looking at everything as a gender issue for political purposes. You will notice that I don't start these conversations, but apparently I cause consternation when I oppose flagrant gender bias. Apparently 70% of the readers don't want to discriminate on the basis of gender either. That is ok, Susan B Anthony really irritated a lot of people when she voted, and Rosa Parks irritated some people when she reused to sit at the back of the bus.

"If we were at a resturaunt and only 1% of the people at the resturaunt thought men should not be allowed in the ladies room, well that would be enough for me. So shall we leave it up the moderaters?"

If we were in the deep south 50 years ago and 1% of the klansmen in the restaurant voted to to not allow Negroes in the room, it would be criminal and racist. Your restaurant analogy is deeply flawed, as entering an internet based discussion forum that is viewed internationally is not remotely analogous to a place where women are exposing their genitalia and evacuating body wastes.

Polling members to see how much backup one has to openly discriminate against a group based upon an immutable phsysical characteristic like gender is sexist, it is bigoted and it is outrageously offensive...at least that is what our gynocentric, matriarchal society tells us when it is directed at women.

Dave,

Thank you very much for your interesting commentary, however, I believe the point of the thread was WHAT TO NAME this forum. Shall we return to the topic at hand? I am very interested in any options all of you come up with.

Personally, I don't see why the name has to change. The current one is fine, methinks! :)

~SubMariner~

I personally think its fine. Most of us are bright enough to know that it really isn't for women only but to discuss issues that are inherent to women only.... like large breasts and wet suits (never my problem) or moon days....

I have never posted in this forum, however, I feel the need to for some reason. I would like to say, that I feel some people are reading WAY to far into this whole issue. I see no reason that the women should not have a forum seperate to them to discuss issues that concern them as divers. I also feel no reason that men should not be allowed to post, if their insight is helpful. Maybe they can say what works for their wife/daughter/female dive buddy.

That being siad, how about a change, if one is necassary, to "Womens Issues" or "Womens Needs".

Good Day All.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom