Name this fish please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the first is a sharpnose puffer. Juvenile trunkfish look four-sided dice with tails.

I'll name him Otis.

The second one can be Fred.

too funny. Good one! :) I miss seeing Otis and Fred in first person!

These pictures are all I have to remind me of them......

thanks DoctorMike, now, what would you call the 2nd picture link? He looks different to me than my first picture link. what is the little guy tucked up next to the white feather dusters? brown and white in color?

Hey, Coz...

That also looks like a sharpnose puffer, looking at the profile. Hard to say for sure, but like a lot of species, they can have different markings during different phases of life.

I love doing fish ID, it's a lot of fun..! Makes diving like stamp collecting :)

I'm always looking for new species to photograph and to get better shots of old ones....

Mike

Hey, Coz...

That also looks like a sharpnose puffer, looking at the profile. Hard to say for sure, but like a lot of species, they can have different markings during different phases of life.

I love doing fish ID, it's a lot of fun..! Makes diving like stamp collecting :)

I'm always looking for new species to photograph and to get better shots of old ones....

Mike

Thanks! I'm pretty new at taking a camera with us underwater, so I'll take your advise and always try to get better shots of old ones. In the meantime, I'll keep learning and listening....

Continued safe bubbles to all of you helping me with answers on this thread tonight. Adios! and Good night.

Thanks! I'm pretty new at taking a camera with us underwater, so I'll take your advise and always try to get better shots of old ones. In the meantime, I'll keep learning and listening....

Continued safe bubbles to all of you helping me with answers on this thread tonight. Adios! and Good night.

Keep at it, it's a fun hobby! Expensive but fun...

My initial response on reading the title of this thread was very close to jonnythan's, but I'll play it straight...
The Doctor is correct, they're both sharpnose puffers.
As for trunkfish, once baby trunkfish grow out of their "pea" stage, they look much like the adults only tiny. Even in the pea stage, they have the adult coloration (black with white dots & black mouth is the baby smooth trunkfish; white with black dots white mouth is the baby spotted trunkfish.) The baby trunkfish trunkfish -- also in Coz but only occasionally seen -- is a yellow blob with black dots & no horns.

I was so ready to make the Otis and Fred type comment. You were too quick for me, Jonny!

It only took me about 55 minutes to come up with it. My wit is unstoppable!

Back
Top Bottom