Name this fish please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They all look like sharpnose puffer to me. The second two pics are a little challenging in such low resolution and small dimensions. If you still have the pics in high res, maybe crop on the fish, then enlarge the pic, for closer looks. As long as you reduce the res of the large pic to under 400 kb, you can attach like this one below - which can be viewed larger, but also saved in full size for closer looks yet.

Pic editing is a larger challenge than shooting the pics; what program do you use?

Some members of my family taking a discrete approach to rapids last week...

Attachments

• Broken Bow OK - June 2010-123.JPG
    Broken Bow OK - June 2010-123.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 47
^^^They are right, it's a sharpnose puffer, not a juvenile trunk fish like I stated. A REALLY juvenile trunk fish looks like this in case you were wondering:

Juvenile-Trunkfish-457x303.jpg

I call them ping pong balls :)

They all look like sharpnose puffer to me. The second two pics are a little challenging in such low resolution and small dimensions. If you still have the pics in high res, maybe crop on the fish, then enlarge the pic, for closer looks. As long as you reduce the res of the large pic to under 400 kb, you can attach like this one below - which can be viewed larger, but also saved in full size for closer looks yet.

Pic editing is a larger challenge than shooting the pics; what program do you use?

Some members of my family taking a discrete approach to rapids last week...

DandyDon, I don't know how to do any of that. I am a complete newbie to picture taking underwater with our cannon camera in a simple underwater housing. Point, click, downloaded off camera, uploaded to Picasa and voila that's the extent of my knowledge for right now. It will grow on me as will my curiosity to make better quality pictures, but for now I simply wanted picture memories of God's beauty underwater that none of rest of my whole extended family knows exists....
I enjoy filling my logbook with fish I've not seen before on previous trips and really like my reef fish and reef creature books, so taking pictures of them seemed logical.
HONESTLY, I'm NOT a good dive buddy when I have the camera. I already was the diver at the back of the group enjoying every nook and crany, now with a camera in hand I'm really not the best at trying to stay with the group and close to my buddy which I know can lead to trouble in a hurry on drift dives, so I'm torn about branching out into photography underwater. To be honest, I really enjoy seeing the WHOLE REEF through my eyes instead of just what I could see through my camera lens right in front of me. To me it's like sitting in a football stadium seat and instead of watching the game on the field in front of you, you watch the jumbo screen at the endzone! Or at a Nascar race you watch the tv screen instead of the cars going around the oval....
I cherish the pictures I brought back this trip no matter how simple they are.....

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME ID THE LITTLE RASCALS IN THIS THREAD!

Please don't take offense, but who's the DM pawing the marine life? It urks me when DMs seem to think the park rules don't apply to them... holding a crab and sticking their finger to a seahorse. Nice way to set an example for their divers. You know how many people think that if the DM did it then it's OK?

You know how many people think that if the DM did it then it's OK?

It's many, many. Rule or no, it's best practice to keep hands off the wildlife unless you're removing an animal from its habitat forever.

A common practice that really irks me is when a diver frightens a balloonfish so that it inflates -- this usually requires a bit of jostling after catching the fish by hand. Balloonfish are very cute as they come & seeing one out during the day should be a treat in & of itself since they're primarily nocturnal predators. Yet few understand that panic & inflation aren't good for the fish or that it will cause a slow & painful death should the fish inhale a diver's bubble as it takes in water.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post my rant!

Please don't take offense, but who's the DM pawing the marine life? It urks me when DMs seem to think the park rules don't apply to them... holding a crab and sticking their finger to a seahorse. Nice way to set an example for their divers. You know how many people think that if the DM did it then it's OK?

I am confused,but that is easy to do....Please don't take offense, but where in this thread did you see someone pawing marine life? I did not see it in any of the photo links I followed, and I do not think I missed any. And, for the record, I agree with you, leave the critters alone. Look but don't touch.

DandyDon, I don't know how to do any of that. I am a complete newbie to picture taking underwater with our cannon camera in a simple underwater housing. Point, click, downloaded off camera, uploaded to Picasa and voila that's the extent of my knowledge for right now. It will grow on me as will my curiosity to make better quality pictures, but for now I simply wanted picture memories of God's beauty underwater that none of rest of my whole extended family knows exists....
Oh no problem. All computer stuff, and when I first joined SB - someone had to tell me how to copy and paste, but less anything more than that. Turn the machine on and logging in were all of my talents, if someone else kept the computer tuned - which is wasn't, so I had to learn. As I got into the care and feeding of my own machine, I acquired new hobbies.

PM me with your email address if you'd like to. I'd love to show you some examples from these three pics but I'd want you to email the originals as they downloaded off of your camera - not acquired from picassa.
HONESTLY, I'm NOT a good dive buddy when I have the camera. I already was the diver at the back of the group enjoying every nook and crany, now with a camera in hand I'm really not the best at trying to stay with the group and close to my buddy which I know can lead to trouble in a hurry on drift dives, so I'm torn about branching out into photography underwater.
I know. I feel like everyone with a camera should carry his/her own pony and have an agreement with the buddy follow closely.
[/QUOTE]I cherish the pictures I brought back this trip no matter how simple they are.....[/QUOTE]
I know the feeling, and it's good you feel that way. Videos can be fun too, edited on Windows Movie Maker which is on every Windows PC. Canons are real card hogs on video, but get a larger card. :eyebrow: Meritline.com has some great prices on 8 gb cards.

Let me know if I can show you a few tricks, ok...?

The photo I saw posted was indeed ONLY a sharp nose puffer. That is my favorite fish in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I am confused,but that is easy to do....Please don't take offense, but where in this thread did you see someone pawing marine life? I did not see it in any of the photo links I followed, and I do not think I missed any. And, for the record, I agree with you, leave the critters alone. Look but don't touch.
Easy, when someone links to a photo in their gallery on Picasa, you just click on the tab to see all the photos.

I'm usually in Cozumel at least 3x a year. This past year life got in the way. When I can see photos of one of my favorite u/w destinations I look at all of them.

Picasa Web Albums - Cozdreamer - Cozumel June ...

Cozdreamer has removed the shot of the dive master holding a crab from his gallery. Full on front shot so I'm sure anyone who has dived with the shop would have recognized the DM... this was NOT a slam on the poster, it WAS a slam on the DM... and there was someone in the photos wearing rental gear w/ the shop name clearly written on their mask, so, this is one more shop that won't be on my list if my #1 pick can't accommodate for any reason.

NOT impressed. I personally don't feel it's ok to touch marine life on a reef anywhere for any reason. Cozumel diving in the marine park has rules and as far as I know, DMs are not exempt. If you just can't help yourself, please go dive somewhere that doesn't have a marine park. A place I really love on the mainland and have watched and documented the death of over the years has no park and no rules. A couple great shops there. You won't see many fish, and most of the coral is either dead or or on it's way to death, but you can touch whatever you want. The local community opted against an official marine park in the early 90s. No rules. Fish for whatever you can catch and touch whatever makes you happy.

Back
Top Bottom