Name your best or favorite wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Arabia, in Lake Huron, off Tobermory...

You're coming down the line, and around 105 ft, 42 deg F, start going towards the wreck... Suddenly, you are greeted by a majestic bowsprit...

Beautifully preserved...

Alex

wetrat:
Phil - love the caissons! Didn't realize they were so deep. What about the glass bottom boat in the Avalon Underwater Park? :wink:
wetrat
After years of researching the history of the Caissons, Gary Fabian beat me to it, and he found some great stuff.
http://ub88.org/thecaissons.html

329577423_l.jpg

God, favourite wreck – there are so many great dives out there!

For me, the Rosalie Moller is the best wreck dive in the Egyptian Red Sea now. The Thistlegorm is still great if you've never done it before, but you'll cry if you saw it now and remembered how it used to look; the Ghiannis D is a fab first wreck dive; and the Carnatic is still picturesque, but the Rosalie Moller has them all beaten – it sits in 56m or so and is in an area where vis is always a bit ropey. This, and the depth and the fact it is relatively hard to find, has meant it hasn't been raped and pillaged like the others – it still has portholes, etc, and in the engine room you can even find intact light bulbs! And the whole wreck is covered in baitfish, which in turn attract tuna, trevallies, grouper and lionfish. An amazing dive.

Also, any of the main German High Seas Fleet wrecks in Scapa Flow, if only for their sheer size and the history attached to them.

The Bianca C – at 600 foot long, this liner is one hell of a dive, and it sits upright in warm water off Grenada. What more could you want!

Mark

vkalia:
Been 4 years since I dived that wreck, but yeah, it is pretty damn special. Probably one of my favorite wrecks as well. The bones inside are pretty grim, though - really depressing, thinking about the U-boaters towards the latter part of the war, who pretty much knew they werent coming back.

Incidentally, for some reason, of the 20-odd times I've visited that wreck, doing 2 dives/day on it, I've not had a single day of diving where everything has gone perfectly for both me and my buddy.

Cheers,
Vandit

If it's a U-Boat I'm assuming it was sunk in WW2, hence it is a war grave. Are the regulations completely different re access to war graves when diving in the US, because if this was a sunken U-Boat in UK waters I'd be pretty surprised if you were able to penetrate it. In fact I'm almost certain it wouldn't be allowed.

sidthejedi:
If it's a U-Boat I'm assuming it was sunk in WW2, hence it is a war grave. Are the regulations completely different re access to war graves when diving in the US, because if this was a sunken U-Boat in UK waters I'd be pretty surprised if you were able to penetrate it. In fact I'm almost certain it wouldn't be allowed.

Yeah its a U boat.
As far as entering the wreck, and taking artafacts its not supposed to happen...
but its one of those thinks like leash laws for cats..
everyone has a opinion about this.. and i dont want to start a big debate..
i know when we take people out there we tell them its a war grave, be respectfull...
and all but i cant follow each diver and watch them...
all i can do is be accountable for my actions....
But the 853 is one of my favriots as well
im actually goin next sunday

Ray

sidthejedi:
Are you sure it's not in international waters?

My favorite wreck is the Duane. When I was in the Keys last the Grove was still on her side. I'm hoping to get down and dive her again.

in Truk Lagoon. Hands down - the most fun I've ever had on a dive. Could have been done with no deco, but I JUST COULDN'T leave it. Racked up 33 minutes of deco. Also enjoyed the Nippo Maru - same place.

Empire Mica, a Russian Freighter sunk by a U-boat off of Mexico Beach in the Florida Panhandle. It was a great dive although I have heard that it was damaged by one of the recent hurricanes. I will be diving the Cape Fear area this summer and hope to get out to the U-352. I will probably have a new favorite after that trip.

Future favorite, Oriskany whenever and whereever they decide to sink it.

Diveral:
Empire Mica, a Russian Freighter sunk by a U-boat off of Mexico Beach in the Florida Panhandle.

The EMPIRE MICA is a British tanker that was torpedoed in WWII. The SAN PABLO, a freighter sunk as a target off Pensacola, is commonly called the "Russian Freighter" (its not Russian though).

Back
Top Bottom