Nas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chloro once bubbled...
DivingGal once bubbled...

The NAS organization has not trained that many instructors here in Canada. Of the few I'm aware of, all work for one level of the government or another. The only one I am aware that teaches outside the job is our provincial archeologist.

I know the Parcs Canada nautical archaeologists have been trained by NAS. They offer the course only to those who are going to work for them.
The guys at Parks were instructing before the good old provincial guy. They are all great instructors (prov & fed). I have taken courses from both. I did not work for Parks even though I thought it would be a great job but it would take the fun out of diving. The parks guys are just very busy (ie cut backs) and obviously can not get involved with "for profit" organizations.

Our provincial guy has made a great effort in educating divers on the historical significance of our shipwrecks. I know that I look at wrecks completely differently now (ie. how did they build it like that with the tools they had then) thanks to NAS courses

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
The parks guys are just very busy (ie cut backs) and obviously can not get involved with "for profit" organizations.

Indeed, the guys at Parks Canada are great people. I was very fortunate to work with some of them at their office in Ottawa for my thesis on a 1690 shipwreck at Anticosti Island. These guys are so knowledgeable, it is not even funny !

I never met any nautical archaeologists at the provincial level. Is there any ? Most provinces rely on Parks Canada for archaeological expertise.

Just to support what you said about cut backs, there was 10 nautical archaeolgist working for Parks and now, they've reduced their staff to 7. There's a waiting list of 15 candidate to fill the 2-3 spots left by the eventual retiring senior archaeologists.

Not a lot of job perspective there ! Sad considering that Canada has a 1/5 of the world's fresh water and hundred of thousands of kms of shoreline !

chloro once bubbled...

There's a waiting list of 15 candidate to fill the 2-3 spots left by the eventual retiring senior archaeologists.

I can't see PW or WS leaving anytime soon. They would more than likely volunteer their time.

Bubble Boy once bubbled...

I can't see PW or WS leaving anytime soon. They would more than likely volunteer their time.

I know PW is going to leave within the next 2-3 years. The head, his name is Grenier, is going to leave in a few years as well. I've been working more with Bernier and I can'T see who is WS.

Like you say, they'll always been around.

FYI, this is a project that Parks workrd on in 1995-1997 in Québec and my project is associated to this one : the wreck at Anticosti belongs to the same fleet and sunk almost simultaneously.

http://www.mcc.gouv.qc.ca/pamu/champs/archeo/epaphips/wreck01.htm

If anyone is looking for a fun survey to do as part of their survey portion of their Nas #2 course feel free to pm me for info and details on this summer's survey of the Kinghorn.

Back
Top Bottom