National Aquarium in Baltimore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am certainly not quoting Ken or other dive shops, I certainly believe Ken did want to both lower the cost of this program and give more to the aquarium. So I do think that was part of the intention, but again don't quote me I am not an employee of his.

Here is another question, if AtlanticEdge is selling these spots to other dive shops, aren't they making a profit of a non profit? I mean I assume the legal question would be, if the aquarium did not exist, could AtlanticEdge still sell a spot to an aquarium dive? Well obviously not. So then does this make the arrangement illegal in some way? Again, is it illegal for an organization to charge people to donate blood to the red cross? I know that sounds silly, but its the same thing.

I just found this article in Time: Living: Symphony on Pier 3 - TIME

It certainly seems, that if the federal government declared it a national aquarium, then the jump to public institution is becoming smaller and smaller.

Its pyramidal glass roof juts proudly into the sky, 157 ft. its splash of gaily colored panels shimmers in the sun's bright glow. As architecture, the new National Aquarium in Baltimore is striking; as a scientific and educational showcase, it already ranks among the nation's best.

Perched on Pier 3 at the eastern end of the harbor, the aquarium—city-owned and built without federal funds—was begun in 1976. Although Congress did not contribute funds for its construction, it nevertheless designated the rising structure a national aquarium in 1979. By July its three huge tanks were filled with almost 500,000 gal. of salt water (most of it synthetic, since the genuine briny from the Inner Harbor does not have enough salt to sustain many marine creatures) and were ready to receive the first of some 5,000 fish, mammals, birds and amphibians that the aquarium now contains. A hoped-for completion date of July 4 was not met, but last week, amid fish-shaped kites, an appearance by Roy Rogers and fireworks at night, it officially opened. Said Executive Director James Kepley, 38, a muscular, red-bearded marine biologist: "Working toward this day has been a perpetual high for 3½ years."

Designed by Peter Chermayeff, 45, chief architect of Cambridge Seven Associates, the building improves upon concepts the firm used in 1970 for Boston's successful New England Aquarium. Chermayeff describes the layout as similar to a symphony, with a linear structure following an "ABA" rhythm. The exhibits constitute the A elements, or as Chermayeff puts it, "something to read, confront, evoke a response." Long escalator rides from one floor to another through a dramatically high-ceilinged central space provide the release, or B elements. The building begins with a low-key introduction to water—large, blue bubble-tubes at the entrance—and after a long, steadily mounting crescendo ends on a sort of coda of quiet contemplation: a globe, 8 ft. in diameter and cut in half, frames the exit, graphically demonstrating the fragility of the oceans in relation to the earth's huge mass. Observes Chermayeff: "Museum fatigue is a serious problem, and I did not want that to happen here."

The aquarium's orchestrated splendors include plenty to justify the quote from the late anthropologist Loren Eisely that is lettered on a plaque at the start of the exhibits: "If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." Suspended majestically over the central space is a 63-ft. skeleton of a finback whale donated by the New York State Museum in Albany, where it had been on display from the 1890s to 1978. The dolphin pool, or "tray," is visible from almost every vantage point in the building, its rippling surface broken by the frothy play of four bottle-nosed dolphins. Recorded sounds of surf, sea birds, sea lions and even snapping crustaceans can be heard on the escalator rides.

Among the exhibits are re-creations of the watery environments of coral reefs and a section of the Maine coastline (assembled, ironically, from casts of rock taken along the shore of Massachusetts). The last is sure to be a hit with schoolchildren, since they will be able to pick up and handle living tidal organisms such as horseshoe crabs, moon snails and sand dollars. The 13-ft.-high viewing windows of two gigantic "race track" tanks, one atop the other, reveal the dark worlds of an Atlantic coral reef and the deep sea. Scores of trigger fish, tiger fish, parrot fish, grunts and blow fish swim in a traffic jam of color through the coral reef. Below, sea turtles and rays settle into the simulated depths, sometimes with understandable uneasiness, as eight species of shark hover near by.

The spiritual as well as the physical apex of the aquarium is the tropical rain forest, housed in the 64-ft. glass pyramid that is the building's most distinctive feature. The rain forest illustrates the variety of environments dependent on water, and contains tall, exotic Amazonian trees, vines, shrubs, a waterfall, a stream and leafy ground cover, as well as lizards, snakes and frogs. From the visitors' platform one can take in the full glory of a complete ecosystem almost ten stories above the Inner Harbor, and at the same time view the vista of a redeveloped Baltimore embracing the horizon.

This artical dates back to the early 1980s. The facility has changed a good bit since then :popcorn:

Last edited:
Chris it is public knowledge they are a 501 c 3. What I was offering for Thalassamania, was that the term "public institution" is not a status or a filing class or something that you get in writing like a 501 c 3.

Thalassamania, I agree it is always up for interpretation. The thing I found interesting was that Congress officially declared them a National Aquarium...that must mean something...I wish I knew what. Guess that's what those guys learn in law school...haha.

It is true the The Aquarium in Baltimore was was Dubbed the National Aquarium by congress BUT They get little public finding. They survive off of what comes in the door from genreral admission, memberships, grants, and corporate sponsorships and renting out the facility for catered events.

Well lets see what has changed? Buildings...still owned by government. Land....still owned by government. BUILT using city funds and others. So I am not sure what has really changed.

I find it odd that no one has questioned how/why Atlantic Edge, a shop some 50 miles away from the aquarium, has the exclusive deal when there are several shops closer?

A little research would show that the Owner of Atlantic Edge is a volunteer diver there. Hmmmm, how convenient.

We have known that he is a volunteer diver at the aquarium. We also have asked why a shop located in Gaithersburg has a monopoly on the aquarium, no response.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why is it the VA Beach aquarium runs things differently then? I don't believe they any particular dive shop affiliation.

I am sure various places might do it differently or not do it at all. I am not sure that there is any association bewtween the two. We are focusing on the one in Baltimore.

Its sad, but I was originally calling just for my own information and I spoke with their Dive Safety Officer, Chuck Eicholz. I understood him to say that the current contract expires in 2013 and after that time, they are trying to run everything in house.

Unforuntately, when I spoke to Dione Kurzmiller, she not only denied those statement by Chuck Eicholz, but even said he probably is speaking out of turn and does not know what is going on. Great communication among that staff in my oppinion. I was just trying to get fact, but it was difficult to obtain them.

Dione continue to think that it was "ok" that we sent our customers to Atlantic Edge. What business freely just gives up their customers to a competitor. As previously mentioned, Trever from Atlantic Edge says they would not have any interaction, but its their staff who runs the program, so clearly that is a poor choice of words.

Bottom line is we are looking to make a program available to any dive shop who wants to participate and that means the aquarium should most likely host this program internally.

Its truely a shame that this type of educational opportunity has been exclusively given to a single for profit business located more than an hour away from Baltimore when there are at least 10 closer dive shops in the area. Again, I am suggesting a program that is open to all dive shop, but use those shops as a reference for such an odd choice of exclusive rights contract.

I hope the aquarium sees what they are missing out on and that despite a mission objective directly from their website of: "Commitment to create fun, engaging, and educational experiences for everyone." That they decide to actually allow the "everyone" to attend without having to access it through just one monopolized dive shop.

This really is kind of silly. Nonprofits can hire subcontractors who turn a profit on their work for the nonprofit. It happens all the time.

If it is easier for them to outsource managing their aquarium diving program to one shop rather than deal with individuals or many shops, then that is their decision to make. Perhaps management decided that the aquarium dives were too much of a headache and posed the choice as 1) Setup an exclusive agreement and establish a working arrangement with a single dive shop so that things run more predictably and easier or 2) shut down the diving so no one gets to do it.

I'm not saying they made the right decision - just that they made a decision that appears to me to be reasonable and well within their discretion.

Further, I don't see them denying anyone. They just chose a preferred vendor that isn't you. Anyone who wants to go, can go, they just have to go through a certain dive shop.

I am sure various places might do it differently or not d
I hope the aquarium sees what they are missing out on and that despite a mission objective directly from their website of: "Commitment to create fun, engaging, and educational experiences for everyone." That they decide to actually allow the "everyone" to attend without having to access it through just one monopolized dive shop.

Everyone can attend, they just need to go through one place. Are you suggesting that Atlantic Edge is discriminating?

Perhaps they were just the first to approach the Aquarium and offer to coordinate the diving, which makes them not only entitled to the profit (certainly the profit helps support their staff in running the dives) but also very shrewd businessmen. Also, they dont hide it either, they advertise it a lot. What that means is that more than just local dive shop regulars are getting a chance to learn about the opportunity--it's good for EVERYONE (well i guess except some dive shop owners/staff). I believe what Atlantic Edge did was recognize an opportunity and take advantage of it--I think that is called fostering competition.

Regardless, this is not the only diving opportunity around baltimore. Heck we live right next to the damn ocean (relatively). There are many opportunities being missed in the Baltimore area to foster a vibrant dive community; maybe the other dive shop owners should worry more about that than who controls access to the aquarium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom