NAUI BLACKWATER 1 Diver, does this course still exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With everything going on in Thailand, it made me think back to a course that REALLY increased my comfort in poor (zero) visibility.

Is this course still being offered? I never hear anyone talking about it.

Blackwater.JPG

The course is not in my most recent copy of the NAUI S&P. NAUI does allow instructors to write their own specialties and apply for the ability to teach them, it's possible that the course is being offered by some instructors.

FWIW, two or three years ago NAUI was discussing creating a series of courses for emergency response / public safety dive and science diving teams. Blackwater diving was definitely one of the courses being discussed. As I let my NAUI membership expire in December, I have no update on where they are with this.

I had been exploring an instructor crossover last year, and had asked specifically about blackwater training, this lead me to being introduce to the "write your own" specialty courses conversation.

Was told the Public safety diver program is still in the works. I've not followed up this year. Did sound promising given those involved.

Great to hear your interest! Some of my most peaceful dives have been blackwater, I encourage people to get comfortable diving without sight.

... In full disclosure, some of my worst dives too have been in 0 voz, but for other reasons.

Cameron

This is a specialty course as shown on the card. It means that the instructor applied to NAUI to teach it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom