NAUI Open Water Class Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband taught his kids to dive. I'm not sure it was the best way for them to learn. Only one of the four has any desire to dive,after getting certified. And, he won't dive in cold water because of how his certification went.
I think it may be best to have somebody else teach your kids, even as an instructor. ( my husband is an instructor and their previous step-mom was as well). Her kids also don't dive, after their certification with her.

I wonder what percentage of divers continue to dive after being certified? What maybe 25%?

My husband taught his kids to dive. I'm not sure it was the best way for them to learn ... I think it may be best to have somebody else teach your kids, even as an instructor.

Amen. I think children are better off learning major difficult skills like diving from an "impartial" third party, regardless of the parents' qualifications. Confusing the instructor/student dynamic with the parent/child dynamic can really mess up the learning process, and leave everyone with a bad experience.

I left my own son's scuba instruction to another instructor. My son worked harder, achieved more, and overcame more hurdles than he probably would have with me as his instructor. His instructor probably challenged him more than I would have. I just went along for the ride and kept my mouth shut.

Now my son is my #1 dive buddy. As mentioned before, I'm happier being his mentor than his instructor.

Do you too, think I am dangerous because I caused two individuals to discontinue having unprotected sex in the presence of my daughter? :shakehead::shakehead: :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I don't think you're dangerous only concerned. You've been diving for several years and things have changed greatly since you were certified. This would be another area of concern for me; especially when I've seen Instructors that I wouldn't certify as a Diver let alone as an Instructor.

I was certified when I was 12. it was something that I wanted to accomplish without any parental involvement. Years later, I taught my wife and three sons (when they became teenagers).

I can appreciate the fact that you want your daughter trained properly. You are a concerned and knowledgeable parent and I wish you and your Daughter the best the underwater world has to offer.

Why would you look for the cheapest course when its your child that will be trained? If you have concerns about the course and their subsequent safety, find somewhere/someone else and pay the full price.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Why would you look for the cheapest course when its your child that will be trained? If you have concerns about the course and their subsequent safety, find somewhere/someone else and pay the full price.

I guess if I pay enough then the course will be safe? Does NAUI specify a minimum (safe) cost for the course? :confused::shakehead:

I guess if I pay enough then the course will be safe? Does NAUI specify a minimum (safe) cost for the course? :confused::shakehead:

... as with most things in life you generally get what you pay for. That should be evident from what you described in the original post.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In cases like this, the standard should be the same regardless of cost. If the standard isn't met, the certifying agency should suspend the teaching status. The argument you get what you pay for doesn't work in a case like this. Just because something is expensive, doesn't guarantee a quality product. I am surprised the dive industry lacks a peer review to evaluate the competency of it's instructors, and allows substandard certifications.

I notice you didn't actually address the point.
Diving courses aren't cheap to run, therefore if something is dramatically reduced then maybe they have condensed the course to fit a price?
At the end of the day, you had concerns about what they are offering and yet you will still send your child there because it's cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom