Navy Seals Dive to 1200 m?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AT 1200 meters I bet their canteens would implode.
Gots to be hard to carry an M-16 in one of those hard suits.
Course those hard suits would be pretty flack resistant.
Wonder if they still tie the bandanas around their heads . . .

The Kraken:
AT 1200 meters I bet their canteens would implode.
Gots to be hard to carry an M-16 in one of those hard suits.
Course those hard suits would be pretty flack resistant.
Wonder if they still tie the bandanas around their heads . . .
According to the post they wear dry-suits... I don't know much about dry suits, but something tells me this is even more far-fetched

a drysuit full of fluorinert...

brrr

Sounds to me like someone bought a wagon load of . . . . .

Probably heard that stuff sitting in some bar somewhere listening to some half drunk Navy Seal wannabee telling war stories trying to get people to buy him beers.

The only reason I could see for a SEAL to be deep would be a submarine deployment off coast. Essentially deploying through an empty missle chamber, which they do. Typical uses are to mine harbors and such, so they would deploy off-coast, swim in, mine, then swim out. On rebreathers. But 1200 meters is pure fantasy. Your head would explode long before you got there.

3dent:
Do you realize that the referenced article is on the site of a Photoshop guru? I think he made this up as an advertising gimmick. The name on the conning tower and the “US Navy” on the nose look hacked to me.

The picture may be retouched or completely fabricated but the "Sea Cliff" is indeed a working, Navy submersible. When they replaced her steel crew sphere with a titanium one, it was able to reach 20,000 feet. It did this back in 1985 in the Middle America trench.

It's since been decommisioned by the Navy but is available through a research co-op with NOAA and the Navy's Submarine Development squad in San Diego.

PerroneFord:
The only reason I could see for a SEAL to be deep would be a submarine deployment off coast. Essentially deploying through an empty missle chamber, which they do. Typical uses are to mine harbors and such, so they would deploy off-coast, swim in, mine, then swim out. On rebreathers. But 1200 meters is pure fantasy. Your head would explode long before you got there.
I was a Diving Officer of the Watch for Dry Deck Shelter operations on USS James K. Polk.

We locked them out shallow with or without their SDV. Deep would be dumb.

It is considerably more complex than "an empty missile chamber." The modifications to the ship were extensive. 637 class ships could be modified to mount a Dry Deck Shelter on the aft escape trunk, but even that was quite a job. I expect that some 688s have been modified and there is probably a plan for the Seawolf class as well.

The new Virginia class subs have a dedicated lock that can deploy a seal team of divers of around 7 divers at a time through the lock. Of course like you said, there is no reason to do this lock in/out while deep.

Back
Top Bottom