Navy Sinks Aircraft Carrier to Create Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spiegal grove has definitely taken much needed pressure off the reefs around here, i think the duane is better but the grove is very popular and this is a boon to the area and the reefs, hope this wreck helps them as much

some cool pics :salute:

sinking_oriskany_1.jpg

L_IMAGE.10af4d01520.93.88.fa.d0.4ec51127.jpg

_41656670_sinking_ap203b.jpg

I just heard, based on reports from side-scan sonar and divers, the flight deck is resting in 150 ft of water but the tower is at 60 ft. What happened to the calculations? I thought the flight deck was supposed to be at 130 ft. However, I've also heard that at least part of the flight deck is at that depth???

My guess is that the increased depth will (or should) greatly limit the number of recreational divers who will be interested in diving this wreck. If true, projected revenues from increased tourism to the area may not meet expectations. If false, I'd expect more divers to be heading for the nearest chamber.

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of wrecks, especially new ones (without growth) that are below rec limits.

Bill.

Jim from MBT Divers in Pensacola dove it today as they were one of the organizers for the sinking and stated that the press report of 150 feet was wrong. He said they had 12 divers and they flight deck all read 130' (+/-) .

from http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/737693202/show/505785
Re: SHE IS UPRIGHT

The Navy Divers were incorrrect - we had 12 divers on her that all agree withing 2-4 feet - average is: 69 to the top, 130 to the flight deck.

I'm not at all interested in diving this wreck based on the 212fsw statement. I have no interested in doing deco diving, nor am I trained for it.

Had they sunk this in 120 feet of water, that would have been something I would potentially make a point of doing. As it stands, going out of the way to dive a wreck that I can only spend a few minutes on at *maybe* 130 feet is not something I think most rec divers will do.

As a tech dive maybe this is appealing, but they sure limited the market as I doubt tech diving accounts for even 1% of all divers.

RonFrank,

had they sunk it in 120 feet of water, you wouldn't ahve to dive it. it'd be sticking out of the surface. :)

my professor is going out this weekend to dive it, she said she is just going to stick around the wheelhouse area. Maybe she will take some pics, will let you know what she thought when she gets back.

I think the other factor that is going to limit how many people dive this thing is the high price the local charters are charging to take you out there. $145 for a two tank dive? No thanks!

It is my understanding that the local shops have gone together and "agreed" on this $145 charter price. Is it just me, or isn't that called "price fixing" and is illegal under anti-trust laws???

-Kyle

mike_s:
RonFrank,

had they sunk it in 120 feet of water, you wouldn't ahve to dive it. it'd be sticking out of the surface. :)

Well, after doing some research, the Island is at 65', and the deck at 120~130 feet. That makes a rec dive at the deck maybe 11 minutes...not long. I suppose you can do it as a multi-level profile dive, and follow it up to 65'.

I'm sure this is a tech divers dream. Sounds like they have prepared it for penatration.

Still, for divers like myself, I think I'd rather be on a 30~80 foot reef!

I would definatlely dive it if I was in the area given a chance. Would I make a trip just do dive this... no, or at least not with my current training. Maybe I'll decide that deco diving is for me, and get into deep diving, but I'm more of a reef type of diver at this stage as that was what attracted me to diving in the first place.

Fun fact (or not so fun for taxpayers). The current Nimitz class carriers cost 4.5 billion each to build (that is with a B), and the US has 12 in service, you do the math!:11:

RonFrank:
Fun fact (or not so fun for taxpayers). The current Nimitz class carriers cost 4.5 billion each to build (that is with a B), and the US has 12 in service, you do the math!:11:

Another fun fact. The Navy resurfaces the deck their aircraft carriers every six months. The surface is a combination of sand and something else that I can't remember, but it's basically a gritty sandpaper like finish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom