NC Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Which dive operators do people recommend? I'm planning my first dive trip to NC over the July 4 weekend and hoping to hit U352. Ideally, I'd like to get in 3 or 4 dives a day, but it looks like 2 is more realistic. Also, do most recommend a 3mm or 5mm wet suit? Thanks.

Matt

Olympus is awesome and also the home of the finder of the U-352. I dove with them Memorial day weekend and loved every stinking moment except coming back to shore.

Olympus has their dive lodge at $25 night. Its a bunk house and not very clean, but liveable. The boats are self serve cattle style with a pretty good distance to lug your gear. The diving - its North Carolina.

Last edited:
I am reading between the lines so forgive me if I miss the mark but you seem to misunderstand NC diving. Diving in NC is not the quick out and quick back in tourist dives like those in the caribbean or Fla. Our dives tend to be a long way off shore (esp the ones you mention) and on the deeper side 100- 130 ft is common. 3 or 4 dives in one day are for the most part not possible. Boat rides are 2 to 3 hours each way, 30-45 minute bottom times and 1.5+ hrs of SI, plan on 7 to 9 hrs on the water for 2 dives. The conditions often times can be rough, 4 to 6 ft seas are common. Seasickness is another real problem, half or more of the boat hanging over the rail happens. We do have a few "inshore" dives that are in the 50- 80 ft range and less time off shore but they are limited.
I doubt that you will find a spot on the 4th weekend, most weekend trips fill up months in advance. My best advise is to reconsider your plans, see if you can find an inshore wreck diving to cut your teeth on before heading out to an offshore wreck. Depending on your cert and dive history, you may not find a charter that will take you offshore anyway. Most require at least AOW or proof of deep experience. We have some great wreck diving but it comes with a price....and often times with a nice shade of green. :alien:
I don't wish to sound negative or scare you off of NC diving but if you are expecting to walk up at 8 am, do a couple of dives on glass flat water and be back on the dock by noon, you have a wrong impression of the diving here. Diving in the Caribbean or quarries does not prepair you for the riggors that often times accompanies our diving.

Matt:
If I were to listen to anyone, it would be Herman. I just did my first NC dive over the long holiday weekend. I did only in shore dives and the boat ride out to them to was no less than 45 min but more like a little over an hour. As for sea sickness, he is spot on. We started the meds the day before, then the day of and still felt a little green. The most that I could get in during the day was 2 dives. We dove both Olympus and Discovery. I like Discovery better, boat was not as crowded (the middle seats were not there). Our first dive was with Olympus and the boat was packed and in order for you to bend over and put fins on and such your head was in someone elses crotch. Also, because it was our first dive there, we HAD to hire a DM. And, we are glad we did. All three of our boat dives that weekend were with someone that has dove that area a lot, DM or inst. From what I have been told, you may be able to get in with the in shore boat dives easier. Yes, not the 352, but gives you a taste of NC. At this point I would not even consider doing the off shore dives until I have been diving longer. I see that you have a bit more diving under your belt than I do, but I would suggest doing an in shore first. I wore my 5m and I was cold at about 20 min into the dive. I wore thin gloves on one and went to my 5m gloves. I wore a 3m beanie and 7m booties. I should have added my 3m shortie over top of my 5m. Don't expect any special help or attention from anyone. This is very much a DYI type of place. Hotels are expensive in this area and they are not great hotels either.

Although herman sounds harsh, I tend to agree with most all stated... Depending on the boat and dive site, trips can be quite long e.g. it can take you 1.5/3 hours to reach the ledges near the "Frying Pan Sholes" and thats on a good day. Smaller boats get you out quickly while the larger chug along. Due to the weather, many dives can be blown out and the weather can change quickly around here... and if you don't have a boat already lined up, good luck and see about waiting list!

Some dives are deep and others not so deep e.g. the Hyde runs 50-75' and a good dive to see Sand Tigers. Was there just two weeks ago and had a 8'+ just cruising about and a juvenile that kept messing with me... Heaps of fish, good size stingray, and a shipwreck to boot... and since you asked; closer to shore will be a bit cooler than further out (my understanding is its the Gulf Stream that has this effect further out) but I was diving the Hyde and Ledges with a full 3/2 and a 3mm shorty over the full. Diving the Hyde I had 1mm gloves and a 3mm hood but down to the ledges, first time down went with a hood and gloves, second time without the hood and gloves... In July, you should be fine with a 3-3/2mm but I will always take the shorty out just in case... I only go to the ledges doing 3 tanks, to long of a haul to only do 2 tanks IMHO...

Vis was good @ 45-50 but can really drop during bad weather.... and bad weather can make that trip really long going out and painful coming back...

Best to you, lee

@Herman - keep scaring the tourists- it will make finding spots easier :D

Where are you staying? Are you intent on U-352 or do you just want some exposure to NC diving? Do you have AOW and/or deep experience? What about open ocean? Like Herman said, it's not like diving in the islands or the keys.

Enough of my questions, now I will try to answer yours :)

There are much better dives than the U-352 (though good to see at least once) but if you want to do U-352 you want to go out of Beaufort/Morehead City. Olympus, and Discovery run multiple boats. Other boats, off the top of my head, are run by Atlantic Beach, Diver Down, Tortuga. They're all good but I think Discovery and Olympus are more set up for the single diver. Don't ignore the others, you can sometimes get on them if the group booking them wasn't able to fill the boat.

You will end up going to whatever site they decide to go to that day, based on conditions and diver preferences. About the only possibility of doing 4 dives is to add an evening charter to an inshore site such as the Indra. They don't run these every day but you could get lucky. Depending on delays, you could also end up getting back after your Indra charter leaves. That would suck.

I used to dive a 5mm all season. It was overkill in July and August but let me dive comfortably from early May thru mid-November (especially with the addition of a hooded vest).

If you just want to do some good NC diving, then you might also look to find something out of Hatteras or Wilimington/Carolina Beach.

The descriptions others have listed are accurate. It would be nice to get 4 tanks in, but really, with all the time on the boat getting out there and back, plus surface intervals, you are wiped after the two dives by the time you get back to the dock.

It is worth checking it out, though. My LDS goes with Diver Down and we like that operation. Diver Down Scuba Diving Charters - Captain Bobby Cox

There is also the Fisherman's Inn Fisherman's Inn Fishing Charters, Atlantic Beach, North Carolina That is just a couple hundred feet from the Diver Down dock. The Inn is basic, but is clean and comfortable and the husband/wife owners are very friendly.

Exposure protection needed varies by the individual, so I would suggest looking at the temperatures. Here's a link to NOAA's buoys. NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

I was in NC for a week of work and managed to meet the manager at Carolina Divers in Surf City. I have to say based on our conversation related to a trip I am making his way in mid November I would be hard pressed to find a more desirable operation. They seemed to be more than accommodating and very well organized. Morehead City for me is a real PITA to get to due to the Jacksonville Marine traffic. I would say call them also and find out what is going on the weekend in question. They also dive the sites that you are interested in. Have fun!!

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like many divers have expected easy diving in North Carolina and were surprised by what they found, so I appreciate the warnings. I should have posted that I was aware of the long boat rides, rough conditions and required level of experience prior to posting. Based on my diving experience and preferences, NC sounds like the perfect place but I'll be certain to do a dive closer to shore to start. It means a lot that locals are willing to provide such great information to strangers.

The dive operators I’ve contacted all have spots open on their boats over the 4th. I’m leaning towards either Olympus and Discovery, but I’ll look into the other recommended operators. Look forward to diving with everyone down the road.

What are peoples favorite dive sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom