NC Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had good experience with Diver Down and Boddy Cox. Boddy's the capt. and owner. Also stayed at Fishermen's Inn like someone else mentioned. We had a BBQ on the deck after the first day of diving. Grilled up the fish that where gotten that day along with some Shrimp someone picked up. Great time and good crew.

Everyone I know that's dived with Olympus says the same thing. Good operation but crowded. I have no first hand experience with them.

It is possible to do three dive in a day but those trips I've done have all been chartered and setup months in advance. A three dive trip can last 10-12 hours on the boat.

NC isn't scary but you do want to know what your getting into. I've been out there when it's been almost glass on the water and when we had 7-8' seas, gear everywhere even though it was all tied down and 90% of the divers and crew where lossing there lunch. Expect at least 3-4' seas. Expect currents on the wrecks and hang line. Expect to get blown out at some point. My first ever trip to NC was blown out. Also expect world class wreck diving when you get down the line. It's this reason we all keep going back.

The real trick to NC diving... Knowing how to board a boat in 6-8' seas...!!! I think this point needs to be driven home to those with little experience boarding in rough seas as it can be fair when the dives starts and all heII breaking loose when you surface... I think this is the biggest reason for new or inexperienced divers to think long and hard before diving NC... NOT saying it wont be flat calm for you but chances for moderate to slightly rough would be a better bet IMHO...

Anyway, on a good day and with good vis... NC has a lot to offer...!!! Now; let the games begin!

lee

I've had good experience with Diver Down and Boddy Cox. Boddy's the capt. and owner. Also stayed at Fishermen's Inn like someone else mentioned. We had a BBQ on the deck after the first day of diving. Grilled up the fish that where gotten that day along with some Shrimp someone picked up. Great time and good crew.

Everyone I know that's dived with Olympus says the same thing. Good operation but crowded. I have no first hand experience with them.

It is possible to do three dive in a day but those trips I've done have all been chartered and setup months in advance. A three dive trip can last 10-12 hours on the boat.

NC isn't scary but you do want to know what your getting into. I've been out there when it's been almost glass on the water and when we had 7-8' seas, gear everywhere even though it was all tied down and 90% of the divers and crew where lossing there lunch. Expect at least 3-4' seas. Expect currents on the wrecks and hang line. Expect to get blown out at some point. My first ever trip to NC was blown out. Also expect world class wreck diving when you get down the line. It's this reason we all keep going back.

Expect 6 to 8, pray for 3 to 4. :)

Expect 6 to 8, pray for 3 to 4. :)

I think Herman doesn't like big seas :D

3-4 is typical. Wave height is not the problem, it's the interval :wink:

I been on glassy seas where the biggest waves were made by the flying fish and in sporty seas with waves as high as the boat after being caught out in a thunderstorm 40+ miles offshore. In the open ocean conditions can and do change fast.

Jordan:

Looking forward to your report. Nice pic! Need to know, did you get in your night dive and/or Radio Island dive?

Desi

No. After a day on the water and 2 dives I was beat. Nobody wanted to night dive. I had a really fun time. We had 100+ vis on the Papoose!

No. After a day on the water and 2 dives I was beat. Nobody wanted to night dive. I had a really fun time. We had 100+ vis on the Papoose!

I don't think you missed much by not doing those two dives. Lots of work to get to Radio Island, I know now from first hand experience. :idk: After this past trip, I would only do Radio Island if Discovery was lugging my gear for me. $5 is more than fare for that. Plus, you get the knowledge of someone that knows the tides and when to dive them.

Speaking of Radio Island, we saw what looked like small black spiders while diving. Does anyone know what they are?? We asked a couple of people while there but no one knew what we were talking about.

Just for the record, nobody in the fleet (including a couple who have nicknames that start with "Hurricane") will come even close to running in 8' seas. A typical "rough" day has a close 4' chop. Anything more than that is downright nasty and after they go to 6' a small craft advisory is issued and it is truly unsafe to be out there. As a dive fleet, there is not a more professional group of Mariners than the crews in NC. You may be put in uncomfortable conditions, never intentionally and rarely by accident will any divers find themselves put in unsafe sea conditions.

Just for the record, nobody in the fleet (including a couple who have nicknames that start with "Hurricane") will come even close to running in 8' seas. A typical "rough" day has a close 4' chop. Anything more than that is downright nasty and after they go to 6' a small craft advisory is issued and it is truly unsafe to be out there. As a dive fleet, there is not a more professional group of Mariners than the crews in NC. You may be put in uncomfortable conditions, never intentionally and rarely by accident will any divers find themselves put in unsafe sea conditions.

Couldn't agree more.

I've only felt unsafe once. We had an easy 2-3 feet all the way out to the Naeco that day. It was a totally AWESOME dive but a thunderstorm blew in while we were down and the seas started building really fast. The storm was so large and placed so that there was no way home except through the storm. I recall that I was humming the song to Gilligan's Island when an instrument panel broke free from the ceiling and came crashing down. I remember passing the Aeolus/Spar site on the way back in and one of the Discovery boats was trying to recover the divers in 6-8 ft seas. Everyone on that boat was experienced and all the divers made it aboard with no problem at all. Things settled down just as quick as they built up. Leroy did an afternoon Spar/Indra trip the same day that he decided to extend to a Sub/Spar trip because conditions were so good on the way out.

I felt 100% safe on your watch, Captain, even as you were tossing my arse around the boat. You were always professional and safe. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom