NC divers for April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone,

I am coming over the NC in april this year (7th til 11th) and am desperate to do some wreck diving and see the sandtigers, ragged-toothed sharks etc.

I am visiting a friend in Chapel Hill for a wedding this April and we will also be spending about 4 days in Topsail Beach. (at Topsail from April 7th-11th).

Do you know if any local schools run dive trips in April? If so from where do they depart, what is the cost (roughly) per dive (if I dont bring my own equipment) and would it be possible for me to join any local clubs for a couple of days.

I have been divemaster for about 4 years, logged around 400 dives and have ben running dive trips and marien conservation projects since around 2004.

I am very interested in the wrecks, sandtiger sharks, ragged-tooths and any other sites - any infromation you have on how to go about booking dives in NC would be much appreciated.

If you have a numbers that would help, please let me know.

my email is questunderseas@gmail.com

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to NC.
Topsail beach is located roughtly between 2 of the major dive locations, Morehead City and Wilmington area. Both have good dive operations but that time of year I would suggest the Wilmington area. It's not too likely that any of the ops are going to be doing mid week charters but anything is possible. I know Cape Fear Divers will add a charter if you can get enought to sign on, it's worth asking. I suspect AQ will also. If you can extend your stay I see that AQ has a charter to the Hyde on April 12, that would be a good choice. It's also a little early for the sand tigers to be in. I would suggest you check with both Cape Fear Divers and Aquatic Safaris. They are a little closer to Topsail beach and being father south the water will be a bit warmer...more likely to see sand tigers.
Cape Fear Divers LLC
http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/

A little background on NC diving. It tends to be deep, 100ft+ is common and our wrecks are often a long way off shore. 2 to 3 hr boat rides in 4 to 8 ft seas are common. It is also very common for our dive ops to cancel trips at the last minute due to bad sea conditions so an alternative plan is always a good idea. Seasickness is a fact of life and unless you are positive you don't get sick, meds are a good idea.

A quick check of the CFD web site, looks like rentals are around $50-$75 depending on what you need. I would suggest adding nitrox if you can to extend your bottom time. After the long trip and expence it's worth it for the extra bottom time.

Picking up a local buddy is possible but not likely mid week. If your around during the weekend and the coast trip does not work out you are welcome to hook up with any of the NC Divers at the local quarry...it's not the greatest but at least it's diving. :)

Hope that helps.

Hi Herman,

Thanks so much for your message. I have contacted both the operators and asked if they're running any trips mid-week.

Ive heard so many good thigns about diving in NC and really wanted to see the wrecks and of course the sharks, so thanks for your help.

Ive been a Dm for 4 years and have done my NITROX cert so given half a chance thats what I'll dive with.

Really hope this works out, ive seen some videos on youtube and the diving looks excellent for the Atlantic. Definately better than the diving we get off the uk.

Seasickness should be fine, ive spent 9 days on a 22 ft lobster boat off the Honduran coast and didnt get too sick.

Cheers for your help,

Will let you know what they get back to me with.

Best,

Chris

Aquatic safaris keeps an always up to date schedule on their website at Aquatic Safaris Charter Bookings

They also have info about rentals on www.aquaticsafaris.com

Cape Fear Divers also keeps a calender on their site, but sometimes the latest info isn't on there during the off season. I think their site has rental costs as well.

At that time of year, finding anyone who is running a trip could be a challenge. My strategy would be to call all of the majors (Olympus, Discovery, Aquatic Safaris, Cape Fear) the week before and see what they have available. Some places will offer to start a new trip for you or book you on a trip that does not have enough people yet to run. That's OK, as long as you understand that you might be limiting your opportunity to go somewhere else if that trip does not fill. My first choice would be to book a trip that already has the minimum # of divers needed.

Any of the 4 shops I mentioned will have rentals, but I don't know what they cost. Expect to pay somewhere in the $90-$130 range for the charter. Most of our dive sites involve a substantial boat ride, and fuel costs drive the prices of the charters.

Hope that helps-

Rich

SpearIt charters docks in Topsail. I am sure that he would love to take you out mid week. Captain Tom runs a smaller boat and will run with 3 or 4 divers. Top notch operation, but tough to get a spot on the boat in peak season.

Back
Top Bottom