NC: Scuba diver dies after rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he was on Nitrox and if he got his fill from Discovery, it was Nitrox 30 and he should have checked his own fill at the shop before climbing on the boat.

I was asking if the gas had been analyzed after the accident to rule it out as having caused the accident.

Does anyone know if his breathing gas has been analyzed yet?

If he got his fill at the shop, this shop is very meticulous with their gas mixing and is where I prefer to get my fills down there. They calibrate their analyzer frequently, ensure that it is back to baseline before putting it on the next tank (i.e., they don't hand the analyzer off to a long line if impatient divers), and stand there and watch you analyze your gas before handing your tanks over.

Kind of ar, actually.

Certainly a reasonable thing to ask after any accident.

Just a thought from a medical perspective. From GregTheDiver's pose #14 Dan's buddy was only out of contact for less than a minute. By this time Dan was completely unresponsive. Only a few things in medicine make you unresponsive in this short period of time.

From dive accident possibility, if he inadvertently held his breath but the boat rocked as severly as lulubelle's post says on the hang line then lung over expansion injury is likely.

Most other causes are going to be cardiac. Fatal heart rhythm most likely from heart attack. Other would include rupture aorta or aortic dissection. Impossible to tell if he was having any symptoms during the dive.

We are going to have to wait for autopsy results. Unlikely the toxicology report will be helpful but the official autopsy results can't be released until they are reported.

Safe diving.

By the way, passing out either from gas mixture problems or hyperventilation won't make you completely unresponsive. When get to surface then high likelihood responding to first aid. Same with seizure or syncope type passing out. By the description not being able resuscitate diver at surface likely had more severe medical problem.

Reactions: Jax
Just a thought from a medical perspective. From GregTheDiver's pose #14 Dan's buddy was only out of contact for less than a minute. By this time Dan was completely unresponsive. Only a few things in medicine make you unresponsive in this short period of time.
I am curious if you have medical credentials or are posting as a layman? Either is fine; just wondering.
From dive accident possibility, if he inadvertently held his breath but the boat rocked as severly as lulubelle's post says on the hang line then lung over expansion injury is likely.
Weren't they on the bottom, 100 ft or so? I don't think a jumping anchor line would have much effect at that depth.
Most other causes are going to be cardiac. Fatal heart rhythm most likely from heart attack. Other would include rupture aorta or aortic dissection. Impossible to tell if he was having any symptoms during the dive.

We are going to have to wait for autopsy results. Unlikely the toxicology report will be helpful but the official autopsy results can't be released until they are reported.

Safe diving.
Have some posts been removed? I thot that initial autopsy results had been posted?
By the way, passing out either from gas mixture problems or hyperventilation won't make you completely unresponsive. When get to surface then high likelihood responding to first aid. Same with seizure or syncope type passing out. By the description not being able resuscitate diver at surface likely had more severe medical problem.
Which I thot had been ruled out...? :confused:

Very sad situation and my warmest thoughts go out to all involved.

With that said, one reason these posts exist on SB is so newbies like myself can hopefully learn something.

Can someone please explain a "negative entry" and when it would be used?

And, why would holding onto an anchor line be potentially dangerous?

Thank you.

Very sad situation and my warmest thoughts go out to all involved.

With that said, one reason these posts exist on SB is so newbies like myself can hopefully learn something.

Can someone please explain a "negative entry" and when it would be used?

And, why would holding onto an anchor line be potentially dangerous?

Thank you.

We use negative entries as the surface current can be strong at times. If you stopped at the surface to gather yourself and signal OK, the current can pull you away from the boat and you could be doing it from 1/2 mile away. We usually meet our buddies on the hang line beneath the boat which is attached to the anchor line going down to the wreck.

As I said in an earlier post, NOT hanging on to the anchor line is dangerous. I never see the anchor line bouncing a great deal. Sometimes the hang line at 15 feet does. If the hang line is bouncing wildly when I am ascending, I'll do the safety stop while on the anchor line. But if either is bouncing such that holding on firmly will make you unable to control your depth safely, there are a variety of ways to deal with it. Use a jon line and let the line swing without pulling you with it, use your gloves and maintain your position while the line bounces, go down a few feet so that you are not swinging from 15 to 5, etc. And above all, keep breathing. Sometimes people instinctually hold their breath when they are in current and a bit anxious. That could get ugly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom