ndl limit for 130 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI...

table1.gif

IwakuniDiver:
I know that the Navy Tables are calculated from the time you leave the surface to the time you leave the bottom but I'm pretty sure that the NAUI tables are calculated using your total dive time and max depth achieved rounded up to the nearest 10fsw.

(BTW Andy, you're right, I just looked again, it's 8)

Scott
Let’s go back to a little old school. :wink:

“Bottom Time” is the time it takes from the surface until you start up. Whose tables they are makes no difference at all. The times may be different but the procedure is exactly the same.

“Decompression time” is the time from leaving the bottom until you reach the surface. This could be seconds or hours. You can not make a dive without decompressing, period.

“Total Bottom Time” is from surface to surface. That includes everything from the time you went under until you get back to the surface.

The NDL tables cover “Bottom Time”. And ALL depths and times, past a published number, get rounded up to the next number in line. One foot over goes to the next ten feet. One minute over goes to the next higher time.

Does that help clear things up?

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Let’s go back to a little old school. :wink:

“Bottom Time” is the time it takes from the surface until you start up. Whose tables they are makes no difference at all. The times may be different but the procedure is exactly the same.

“Decompression time” is the time from leaving the bottom until you reach the surface. This could be seconds or hours. You can not make a dive without decompressing, period.

“Total Bottom Time” is from surface to surface. That includes everything from the time you went under until you get back to the surface.

The NDL tables cover “Bottom Time”. And ALL depths and times, past a published number, get rounded up to the next number in line. One foot over goes to the next ten feet. One minute over goes to the next higher time.

Does that help clear things up?

Gary D.

Gary,
I'm not trying to start an argument with you so please don't think I am.

And again, you're quoting Volume 2, Chapter 9, Section 3 of the US Navy Dive Manual almost verbatim. All I'm saying is that the NAUI tables use Total Dive Time. Not Bottom Time as defined by the US Navy.

This way they can have similar numbers to the Navy tables and still be vastly more conservative. Just look at the top of the card that Ice9 posted. It says MDT, Maximum Dive Time.

Personally I prefer the Navy tables and I use them almost exclusively to plan all my deep dives. While the NAUI way is much less complicated, it's way too conservative for most of the diving that I do.

IwakuniDiver:
Just look at the top of the card that Ice9 posted. It says MDT, Maximum Dive Time.
So you're saying that a dive to 130ft has to start and be finished in 8 minutes?

OK...that's 4 minutes 20 seconds for the ascent....

...a couple of minutes to get down....

...safety stop?

So how much time can you spend at 130 ft?

Don't you think that that would put NAUI WILDLY out of synch with EVERYONE else who seems to give 10 minutes from begin descent to leaving the bottom?

Kim:
So you're saying that a dive to 130ft has to start and be finished in 8 minutes?

OK...that's 4 minutes 20 seconds for the ascent....

...a couple of minutes to get down....

...safety stop?

So how much time can you spend at 130 ft?

Don't you think that that would put NAUI WILDLY out of synch with EVERYONE else who seems to give 10 minutes from begin descent to leaving the bottom?

Yes Kim, that is what NAUI, not me, is saying.

You have to remember that deep diving is not what the NAUI tables are intended for and have been heralded as the most conservative recreational table around. I can't, and won't speak for the rest of the certifying agencies since I have had little to no experience in dealing with many of the others but I have a LOT of experience with the NAUI way of diving.

I won't sit here and say that I use those tables anymore because I don't. But I still carry a NAUI table with me in my BC pocket. And I won't say that I always agree with the NAUI way because while I firmly believe in practicing safe diving, I don't think being too restrictive is a good thing either.

IwakuniDiver:
Gary,
I'm not trying to start an argument with you so please don't think I am.

And again, you're quoting Volume 2, Chapter 9, Section 3 of the US Navy Dive Manual almost verbatim. All I'm saying is that the NAUI tables use Total Dive Time. Not Bottom Time as defined by the US Navy.

This way they can have similar numbers to the Navy tables and still be vastly more conservative. Just look at the top of the card that Ice9 posted. It says MDT, Maximum Dive Time.

Personally I prefer the Navy tables and I use them almost exclusively to plan all my deep dives. While the NAUI way is much less complicated, it's way too conservative for most of the diving that I do.
No argument on my part. Just read it for yourself. It is identical to the Navy, they just use different terminology but it means the same thing.

http://www.techpro-printing.com/padi/Naui_divetable.htm#terms

Gary D.

IwakuniDiver:
Yes Kim, that is what NAUI, not me, is saying.
Well - I'm not trying to fight with, or embarrass you at all but in the interests of the truth (as others are reading this thread as well), and to make sure there are no misunderstandings, I've asked a NAUI instructor to visit this thread and comment.

I'm not NAUI trained but it doesn't feel right to me. I have to agree with Gary....I suspect that there is a terminology issue involved here....but heck...I've been wrong before! :D

Holy crap everyone I, and many others in the Scuba Locker here in Iwakuni owe a lot of apologies to a LOT of peolpe.

The terminology used in the NAUI tables leaves a lot for interpretation, most specifically, the ADT (Actual Dive Time) and MDT (Maximum Dive Time).

Sorry everyone.

Scott

IwakuniDiver:
Holy crap everyone I, and many others in the Scuba Locker here in Iwakuni owe a lot of apologies to a LOT of peolpe.

The terminology used in the NAUI tables leaves a lot for interpretation, most specifically, the ADT (Actual Dive Time) and MDT (Maximum Dive Time).

Sorry everyone.

Scott
Well...look at it like this......now you can get much longer dives using NAUI tables than you all thought you could to start with! :D

IwakuniDiver:

Sorry everyone.

Scott
You don’t have to apologize to anyone. It was just a misunderstanding that started with a training agency trying to develop their own verbiage. :cheers:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom