NDR: Urgent help needed from someone who can write in Spanish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebes11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to know how to correctly write the possessive "Jose's". I don't know the rules for the accent mark over the e and the possessive apostrophe. I have a printer waiting on the answer!

If you post the actual sentence I can translate it for you. (de Jose) with accent on the last e is the correct form of the possessive case. No need for apostrophes in Spanish.

I don't think you would use 's like in English. It would be de Jose or of Jose.

If you post the actual sentence I can translate it for you. (de Jose) with accent on the last e is the correct form of the possessive case. No need for apostrophes in Spanish.

Yeah, I figured that out! I decided to leave the accent off the e so it wouldn't get confusing. The sign is in English, not Spanish, but it's a Spanish name. I've named my tiki bar "Jose's Cantina" and was just trying to get the Jose part right (Jose was the name of my dog.....Jose Cuervo Golden Retriever was his whole name.)

Here is the first draft of the sign:

mid_587-B95ACBBB4B7D452188A89EDC74DCB629.jpg

I have to disagree with you there. Both Jose and José are correct in Spanish, but they correspond to different pronunciations (stress in the fist syllable or in the second). If, however, the site is named after the tequila José Cuervo, then the second is the one to use, at least in Spanish. I was under the impression that in English you never accentuate the Spanish names --- otherwise you would write México and not Mexico.

Cheers,

Itziar

I think he means the possessive apostrophe (Jose's) that we use in English as opposed to the accent that is used in Spanish.

Back
Top Bottom