near drowning due to regulator failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I've actually had to do some work, and it interfered with my social time on SB........haha.

Worst 6 weeks of your life, eh? :)

Must be in networking.... If it works, nothing to do until the next major project. If it doesn't no sleep until it works.....

R..

diverDano:
Just curious....what would have happened if this happened at 80 ft????

you can't let yourself panic. just wait for twenty or thirty seconds,
and you'll be able to breathe again

what to do:

1. get your buddy's attention

2. keep your depth

3. put backup reg in your mouth

4. keep tyring to breathe until you can

(worked for me)

diverDano:
Just curious....what would have happened if this happened at 80 ft????

Food for thought....

Get a reg that works (Use your second or ask for one from your buddy :D), focus on getting breathing under control. As long as you've got breathing gas, the rest is details.

barbara:
I started to choke and to cough out the water. When I did inhale again, nothing but water! Thank goodness I'm a seasoned diver and my training kicked in. Even though I was choking and kind of freaked out, I did not go into full panick mode. I stopped, thought and hit the purge button, which enabled me to get enough air to cough out and clear my larynx. It was hard to breathe because my air way was spasming a bit.

well done to manage the panic, I haven't had this happen in scuba (yet).. but had enough times swimming & accidently breathing in water to know the feeling!

I once got back a reg after being serviced and did not try to inhale off it with the air cut off to see if it leaked. I had the air on and inhaled and found it breathed real nice. You know, did not make that funny noise that regs make when they were working properly. As an inexperienced diver I jumped into the river. My first breath nearly drowned me, I sucked in a lungfull of water. I was in shallow water and came up choking. I opened up the reg and found no exhaust valve. It had never been installed. Then the LDS tank monkey tried to sell me one for $2.00. I have not used that shop since. I always breath a reg before diving it with the air off to check for leaks from the diaphram or exhaust. I have also had the exhaust valve on an AGA get clogged with debris when investigating a marina fire. I was able to come up and get air although it was wet breathing. I later experimented and took a Conshelf with no exhaust valve installed and practiced breathing on it by placing my hands over the exhaust tee to prevent water from entering and allowing the air to exhaust when exhaling by venting one side of the T. It could be done in a pinch but trying to remember to do it properly is the trick-Go for the octopus when you have problems.

james croft:
.... I always breath a reg before diving it with the air off to check for leaks from the diaphram or exhaust.

You know what I mean! :D

CD_in_Chitown:
You won't catch an exhaust leak huffing on your tank and watching the guage
I am not looking at the guage. I am seeing if I can inhale and get air from a reg that is not pressurized. If I can, there is a leak in the diaphram or exhaust valve or possibly a tear in the mouthpiece.

james croft:
I am not looking at the guage. I am seeing if I can inhale and get air from a reg that is not pressurized. If I can, there is a leak in the diaphram or exhaust valve or possibly a tear in the mouthpiece.

He got that. He's actually agreeing with you.

My bad. Your right, the guage check won't detect that. I thought I wasn't descriptive enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom