Near drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add:

1. Were you diving on a dive arranged through the ship? I ask this because cruise lines are pretty good about vetting the dive operators they use and I'd be surprised that the line would use an operator that did not have O2 aboard.

2. As far as a skills issue, as I read the original post, you took a lung full of water when the regulator failed. If that is what happened, it is a lot different than just not getting air. However, with experience you will learn to breath in such a way that even if you get a mouth full of water, it won't become a lung full. The basic concept is that a long, slow, controlled inhale both maximizes the exchange of gas, extends your air supply and protects against lung fulls of water.

One very important aspect that, IMHO, needs to be better communicated in modern OW classes is panic management/avoidance. I started diving with no octopus, no bcd, no spg -- just unreliable J-valves. I'm not saying the old days were better. I'm saying equipment configurations in the old days gave you fewer options on how to address an emergency. Because the options where so limited, there was a strong emphasis on keeping a cool head at all times.

Having a bcd, spg's, dive computers and more than one 2nd stage is a positive evolution that does make modern diving safer. Unfortunately some trainers/equipment retailers neglect to give panic management/avoidance the emphasis that it still deserves. Arguments I've heard for this is that equipment these days makes diving safer and there is no need to scare the customers. Mentioning panic seems to run counter to the idea that "scuba is safe". The reality is, however, that scuba is only as safe as its practitioners. If the practitioner is not prepared to have the right frame of mind to overcome an emergency, then no amount of modern, safe equipment will make scuba safe for that particular practitioner.

I'm sorry if I sound negative or lacking empathy. That is not my intent. I am glad you came out fine and I do hope this incident does not push you away from scuba.

Did the regulator fail after a little while you were at 35ft or after only few breaths?

I've heard that you don't always see octos on rental regs in the caribbean/MX. My OW class covered air sharing a little bit and we practiced it once, but it probably should be covered more. If you didn't have octos, you and your husband should have been sharing his primary as you ascended. Think I will get one of my dive buddies to practice this with me before next season for my own peace of mind if I'm ever in that situation.

Also, are you sure your tank had air?

So glad you are ok and thank you for sharing the experience to help other new divers learn.

My husband did assist with his octo but that wasn't the issue, my lungs were filled with saltwater and it was of no help. I do agree that practice is necessary for emergency situations and I am a new diver.

My husband did assist with his octo but that wasn't the issue, my lungs were filled with saltwater and it was of no help. I do agree that practice is necessary for emergency situations and I am a new diver.

Did the even start soon after you descended or did you breathe a bit?

The failure occurred just a few minutes after we got to the bottom. The dive instructor and my husband did manage to get a regulator in my mouth and purged enough air in to get me to the top. In retrospect there are so many things I probably should have done differently, and it is easy to say what you should do, but in the moment you think you might die. I do own a regulator but we were flying so we were trying to limit the baggage we took. In the future I will definitely take my own equipment, ask about oxygen and make sure conditions are right or I just won't go. I am anxious to get back in the water but I still have a cough and get short of breath easily. Hopefully that will clear up and I can get back in the water soon.

You should probably have a chest x ray and have your primary care physician listen to your lungs. If there is still reactive airways, I would hold off on diving. You can always dive later, but take the time to let it settle down. The dry air can be irritating to the lungs. It is great that you are so willing to continue diving!!

Bob

Who was the dive operator with no 02 on board? Just curious.....

Wow, that was a close call, with your lungs full of water no wonder you panicked!

With your lungs full of water, I'm not sure going for the octopus or buddy air sharing could help you. Praise God your around to tell the story.

I thought that regulators were designed that should they fail they will 'free flow.' Does anyone know if that is correct?

Sincerely, Finbob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom