Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every Florida captain reading this just made a note in their customer profile software to put you on their list of "Boat's Full, but call back the day before" list. You know all the captains talk to each other right??

You're not kidding. If I was still running a boat he would not be allowed on it ever again.

I think dive boats should go with as little as 1 diver even though they lose money. It's good customer service for one, it builds loyalty for two, and it's a service that most or all dive ops do not offer which would set them apart from the rest.
What a ridiculous ask! How about this: I think you should work for free at your job 1 day a week - does that work for you? Somehow, I doubt it...

Dive Ops need to make money to stay in business so they can’t cater to your selfish needs. As others have suggested - just pay for the other 2 spots if you don’t have 4 divers and everyone wins - dive op meets their min cost coverage requirements and you get to do your dives.

You're not kidding. If I was still running a boat he would not be allowed on it ever again.

I'd like to see your response if you were about to get on an airplane to fly to a tropical dive destination and the gate agent said "sorry @Superlyte27 there aren't enough passengers to make it profitable so we canceled the flight. Have a nice day."

Currently my first choice is Pompano Dive Center, I gave them my CC number to book, and I plan to call them outside of the 24 hour cancelation window. If they don't have minimum divers I will cancel and then call SFDHQ with whom I am also booked, but not with a CC, and do the same. Then it's on to Loggerhead in Boynton who said they'd do a wrek trek of my choice, but again only if they meet minimums, and my last call will be to Starfish in Boynton with whom I gave my CC number as well.

I'm not canceling "last minute" and I'm not going to pay an additional $300 for 4 divers for the day, that's a bit much for me. 2 maybe but not 4, if I've got no other alternatives for diving on those days.

It's complete hypocrisy and a double standard as well as bad business for a dive Op to reserve the right to cancel me up until the afternoon of the day before simply to avoid losing money, but not be ok with me canceling them 24 hours before, because they don't have enough divers and/or they have a policy in place that is likely to result in me losing a few dives for which I've traveled over 2000 miles.

There are lots of businesses that stay open on days that are known to be slow, even though they might lose money because they put customer service first, including dive ops in other locations that promise to go with as little as one diver because they figured it out.

At the very least, a dive op who has the policy shouldn't even offer dives on days that they might not be able to deliver on. Easy enough to say "we're not diving that day" rather than "well we might". Or don't do any of those things but expect that phone to be ringing just outside the cancelation window for a status update and a late cancel by a diver who is scrambling to save their hard earned vacation.

I'd like to see your response if you were about to get on an airplane to fly to a tropical dive destination and the gate agent said "sorry @Superlyte27 there aren't enough passengers to make it profitable so we canceled the flight. Have a nice day."

You do realize that airlines cancel flights all the time? It happened to my relative last week. Instead, she picked up a flight the next day. The other difference is that airlines are multi-billion dollar businesses. I've yet to meet the dive operator with the same revenue. Most are mom and pop operations just scraping by. Don't believe me? Go look in the keys and see how many operations go out of business. Some of these places are running by the skin of their teeth. A bad season could wipe them out. You want them to take the risk and lose everything? How bout you take the risk and stand to lose a few hundred bucks.

Please, please please.... don't ever call me looking for anything. You're exactly the type of person I try to avoid at all costs.

Go look in the keys and see how many operations go out of business. Please, please please.... don't ever call me looking for anything. You're exactly the type of person I try to avoid at all costs.

Maybe they're out of business because of their lousy policy and bad customer service. Sure, what's the name of your company- I promise never to call, you'll never get a dollar out of me or any of my dive buddies.

What a ridiculous ask! How about this: I think you should work for free at your job 1 day a week - does that work for you? Somehow, I doubt it...

I own a small medical office. We're open on days that we know will be slow, and not necessarily profitable because that's part of running a business.

Sure, what's the name of your company- I promise never to call, you'll never get a dollar out of me or any of my dive buddies.

Dodged a bullet there. :) The name is in the signature line. We've been in business for 45+ years. Same ownership, same location. We've done just fine without you or your buddies. LOL

You do realize that airlines cancel flights all the time?

Your statement is wrong and misleading. Do a Google search on "do airlines cancel flights if not enough passengers" and you will quickly realize how wrong you are, which makes your argument null and void.

Flights are rarely canceled when there aren't enough passengers and if and when they are, they rebook passengers on the next available flight. That's not what a dive Op will do with their screwy policy of 4 to go. They simply cancel and don't care if you find another boat to go on.

Dodged a bullet there. :) The name is in the signature line. We've been in business for 45+ years. Same ownership, same location. We've done just fine without you or your buddies. LOL

I checked your website. I would never have reason to dive with you, as I'm already trained and you dont run a dive boat.

You also have 3 terrible reviews and one bad, all recent and all about canceling divers and not refunding their money.

No surprise there.

Billy Ocean Underwater Adventures (Key West) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Lol, that's not my site. Lol

That dive shop is in S. Florida, like really far south. As south as the US goes. Did you happen to click on the link to my shop? Probably not since we ONLY have excellent reviews. Lol

Your statement is wrong and misleading. Do a Google search on "do airlines cancel flights if not enough passengers" and you will quickly realize how wrong you are, which makes your argument null and void.

Flights are rarely canceled when there aren't enough passengers and if and when they are, they rebook passengers on the next available flight. That's not what a dive Op will do with their screwy policy of 4 to go. They simply cancel and don't care if you find another boat to go on.
Airlines don't cancel as they need to locate the aircraft where they need it to be for the next flight/next days schedule - there are ripple effects through their network when flights get cancelled. This is a REALLY bad analogy to a small business dive op having a min passenger requirement to run a dive trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom