Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not so sure about the tip for four when you pay for four but only go out as two. There are half as many tanks to load, half as many tanks to unload, half as many weights to loan out, half as many divers to keep track of. Otherwise a group of six should tip for four as well.

Except that the DM, who is probably working for tips only, spends the same amount of time working for less money. They could probably do better driving for one of the ride-sharing companies or waiting tables for that time. I don't mind tipping more for an empty/nearly empty boat.

We don't need a DM and I told the Dive Ops as much. I've set hooks for Kevin and Dave in Boynton on the Castor.

A dive operation which is open, up front and honest and explicitly says: "we will need X people to run". Is being honest.

A diver who deliberately books multiple charters on the same day with the intent to cancel all of them but one, is NOT being honest. Even if he follows the 24-hr cancellation period.

It is amazing to me that certain individuals are unable to make the distinction between the two. People seem to have less and less respect for ethics and honestly.

Also, the comment that a charter that must cancel due to low booking or mechanical or staffing issues, will automatically leave the divers who have booked hanging is NOT true (in many cases). I know a lot of reputable charters that will go out of their way to find an alternative booking with a competitor when they, themselves must cancel.

A dive operation which is open, up front and honest and explicitly says: "we will need X people to run". Is being honest.

Go ahead and check a few websites especially around Pompano which is where I'm hoping to dive next next week. You'll see a schedule with booking software that allows them to take your money to reserve your spot and there's nothing whatsoever about minimum divers to run. I know that there are minimums because I always ask. Because I've gotten shut out of dives on perfectly good dive days for that very reason.

A diver who deliberately books multiple charters on the same day with the intent to cancel all of them but one, is NOT being honest. Even if he follows the 24-hr cancellation period.

Also, the comment that a charter that must cancel due to low booking or mechanical or staffing issues, will automatically leave the divers who have booked hanging is NOT true (in many cases).

The half dozen Pompano and Boynton Ops I spoke to said nothing more than "We'll let you know the day before". Sometimes as late as the evening before, when it's too late to book elsewhere.

Nothing to do with being open, upfront, and honest. Everything to do with maximizing my chances of diving after traveling and incurring significant expense to get there. I'm abiding by their policy of canceling outside of the minimum window, and as long as I do so there is nothing wrong with my strategy whether I book with 5 dive Ops or 500 dive Ops no matter what the reason.

Everything to do with different goals. Divers want to dive, dive Ops want to make money. Where there's overlap, everyone's happy. Where the needs diverge is where opposition and conflict occurs.

So what if I book 2 weeks ahead and ultimately cancel 2 days out. They're no worse off than if I never called at all.

Is that yours with the one negative review that says you've got a bad attitude? I think it is.

Uh, that dive shop is literally 300+ miles away from me. You got the wrong site genius.

..., most of the boats magically have enough locals jumping on that the trip runs.....
As an example......This morning 12 spots sold out in 4 hours for a 2 tank trip tomorrow in Jupiter. I barely got on the boat,,,but I'm going diving with all the lemon sharks that are here !!

Uh, that dive shop is literally 300+ miles away from me. You got the wrong site genius.

The review says Leesburg Florida. Just like the link in your signature genius.

Capture.JPG

See the difference is, in the last 24 hours everyone here thinks that you're a tool. But for the last 10 years everyone here has known that I'm a tool so they're not surprised.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom