need a little compressor advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone, How is everyone doing ? could someone advise on if this would work
compair/ mako 5404 block 5.7 cfm compressor it has a 5 hp motor would it be a good starter for a samll dive shop? To use like 2-3 years the upgrade to something bigger, it would be set up with 4 4500 psi tanks but only filled to about 3800-4000 psi

thank you for alll of you help
Matt

Obviously it would depend on how many cylinders you are filling per day. Those banks will only fill about 12 cylinders one at a time, 6 if you try to fill all at once. I think that you would be fine with that set up.

Look around for some more bank cylinders. T's(330 cu ft) @ 2400 psig will help.

Matt

That is a pretty small compressor. I have a shop in my area that has a 7CFM with a six bottle bank and he fills them all up to 4500 psi. Even though he is just filling class tanks and a others, he is having a hard time keeping up with the work load and will probably have to upgrade within a couple of years.

However, if you are getting that 5.7 for a steal, then upgrading in a year or so to a 10 or bigger would be more palatable. Then you can turn your 5.7 into a gasoline portable.

Because a compressor may be rated to 4500 Psi does not mean you should use it to fill your bank to that pressure. Use your compressor to fill your low bank to 3300 psi than use a booster pump to increase the bank up to 4500psi if you need it that high? this will save wear and tare on your compressor and increase its life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom