Need advice for new BP/Wing setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helgo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
greetings, looking for advice on new BP/Wing setup for diving in tropical waters like Cozumel.
Experienced diver, DM with 500 dives. Normally 6lbs weight; I typically don't need to put any air in BCD for these dives!
I want something sleek, light, comfortable and durable.
And yes, it has to be RED.

OMS-Mono-Wing-IQ-Lite-Weight-Pouch-Web__92151.1481824891.png
ow-08-40rd.jpg
owb-01-04ulrd.jpg
p-8393-hogarthian-dive-wing-backplate.png

So I have done hours of reasearch and narrowed it down to:

Oxycheq Mach V 18lbs wing with SOFT backplate.
OMS IQ LITE 27lbs also with SOFT backplate
POSSIBLY the HOG travel plate / harness

PICS above. I realize ppl bash various brands for whatever reasons.

any advice? I lean towards the Oxycheq

Last edited:
I use the HOG in the PNW for cold water diving as well as for warm water trips with an OMS stainless back plate and simple harness. Simple is good!

Steel backplate, one piece harness. The travel weight is marginally greater, but you don't need to add much, or any, lead. An 18-30lb wing will be fine for general tropical, warm water diving.

I use an Oxycheq 18lb. wing without issue when diving in board shorts and a rash guard to a 5mm. It's VERY streamlined in the water, I can be fully inflated and you can't even see the wing. I would go to the larger end if I were instructing as I'd probably be carrying extra lead.

Steel backplate, one piece harness. The travel weight is marginally greater, but you don't need to add much, or any, lead

+1. My "Caribbean travel gear" is a SS backplate and wing. You do lug a few more pounds in your luggage compared to an aluminum plate, but I love not having to add much weight while diving the floaty aluminum 80s.

thanks for the input, yes i have read about this much vaunted "Freedom Contour Steel backplate". doesn't help me, can't find it for sale anywhere on the Internet.
Still sounds like ppl are pointing the Oxycheq 18lbs wing. Maybe I'll just get both the Quick adjust harness as well as the simple harness.

as to the steel backplate: ok, considering this possibility, but BIG weight difference between that and the soft Oxycheq or OMS backplates! The Oxycheq is only 255 grams!!

Last edited:
One more suggestion. I also like the red but keep in mind that it's red only on the surface :)

tecline-donut-15-for-a-single-cylinder-complete-set-travel-set.jpg

yes, aware of that, one my pairs of fins is a red Mares XStream.
The TEC-LINE above looks great, but I'm in Canada, can;t buy it in North America?
but your suggestion of a simple red wing with black harness and steel SS is GOOD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom