Need advice on diving policy at Beaches (Turks & Caicos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. My husband and I will be at Beaches Turks and Caicos in two weeks. From what I've read, the policy there is if you haven't dived for a year or so, you can't dive unless you've done a pool skills test, which usually pushes you back a day or even two (since we arrive late afternoon, we'd likely miss the first day's test). Since we're only there for four full days, this is a concern to get as much diving as possible.

However, I've read that if you have dived within the last three months, this requirement is waived. So, if we booked a dive with an outside operator the morning after we arrive, I'm assuming we'd be cleared to return to Beaches and also dive the very next day? Has anyone been there recently or have any thoughts on whether this is a reasonable plan? (I've heard the outside operators are better, anyway, so we're willing to pay a little extra for that experience.)

Thanks!

I have heard they changed their policy. When we were there a few times, several years ago now, EVERYONE had to get in the pool, to demonstrate basic skills. EVERONE. Period.

I have heard they will now wave this if you have current/recent dive record. You could do a quick refresher locally, and take that with you? Why not call/contact the operator at Beaches, T&C and ask?

Did anyone get a answer to this direct from Beaches -- I'll be there for a family vacation in August and figured I get a morning of diving in on one day.

If I recall it was you needed to have dives loved in the last 6 months. If not you had to do a pool refresher which is right behind the shop. Everyone had to do a quick dive briefing about the island and their operation. 10 min at the most was spent on this.

We go every year in May and they are always taken back by my answer. "when was you last dive" them.... "Sunday" me....

To be honest I booked another op but never used them because the dive op was very good. If your looking for some extreme stuff you will not find it here but safe relaxing dives. We paid extra for all the night dives and a trip to west Cacios which was worth every penny! You can make it as good or as bad as you want it be but if you give respect you will get it back.

FYI...they will take tips just be cool about it.

If I recall it was you needed to have dives loved in the last 6 months. If not you had to do a pool refresher which is right behind the shop. Everyone had to do a quick dive briefing about the island and their operation. 10 min at the most was spent on this.

We go every year in May and they are always taken back by my answer. "when was you last dive" them.... "Sunday" me....

To be honest I booked another op but never used them because the dive op was very good. If your looking for some extreme stuff you will not find it here but safe relaxing dives. We paid extra for all the night dives and a trip to west Cacios which was worth every penny! You can make it as good or as bad as you want it be but if you give respect you will get it back.

FYI...that will take tips just be cool about it.

I am with you. We went there at least 3X, and I dived every dive they offered while I was there. They do run a good tight op, and the wall dives are really fun.

The pool thing only took a few minutes, and then I put my name on the list for the next days boat. Even if the boat is listed as full, I would always show up early in the AM. Beaches is Alcohol AI, so many "divers" fail to show on time, (at least in my experience) so I never failed to get a space on the morning 2 tank trip.

Don't they only offer a night dive on Weds? And they had a minimum of 5 divers, and while it is an "extra" dive, which they charge extra for, and the crew does not actively push the night dives, I always hustled up enough divers when I was there to get that dive going.

There used to be one giant grouper that would shadow us on night dives. If you spotlighted a blue tang, suddenly this huge shadow beside you opened it's mouth, and "presto" no tang!

Was there this past summer. Take computer or log book to show that you have dove in the last 6 months. hey wave the pool seession and you sit through a ten minute briefing on Beaches and boat policy. Sign up for every dive. Be ther early and ready to go. IF your on stand by stand right next to the window. As soon as somebody doesn't show say I am ready to go. Usually the employees don't like to hold the boat up. Last dive I did there I saw a Manta Ray in the first 30 seconds underwater. I also saw three turtles and 5 different sharks all on the same dive. And I have video to prove it. They group you by skill level and all dives are guided. If you get a good guide look at about a 40 minute dive. Boats are ok nothing special. Very nice resort, would go back in a second. Have fun

Below is the official word I recieved from Sandals/Beaches watersports management:

Regarding your email request; NB: The under mention are need to know information. It is straight forward, and also standard throughout Sandals/Beaches Resorts

• Certified diver who have dive within 6 months can go straight to a dive, once he or she clear medical and show proof of dive e.g. Logbook with stamp authenticating the dive/s & depth. Dive Computer
• All diver/s that have not dive in 7 months and up must do a pool assessment of 4 skills.
• Certified diver/s that has not dive up to 18 months must do a refresher at a minimal cost.
• All diver/s below Dive Master Level must do a shallow dive before they (diver) can go on any deep dive.
• All diver/s that complete the shallow dive satisfactory will be able to do both deep and shallow dives daily
Once the requirements are met all certified divers can dive twice (2) per day seven days per week if they (Diver) so desire.

All participants certified or non-certified diver/s MUST fill out a medical questionnaire before he or she can participate in recreational diving. This information is in case a medical clearance from a doctor may be needed for any medical condition including medication being taken. See (Sandals All Inclusive Caribbean Resorts & Vacation Packages | Wedding, Honeymoon, Couples Only) to view medical statement

Back
Top Bottom