Need advice on readers for my scuba mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
I had laser surgery on my eyes last fall. It worked wonders for my far vision...but now I can't see close up! I wear reading glasses topside, and need a good solution for trying to see the images and setting on my DSLR underwater. I tried getting those removable readers, but my mask (a Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin) is too big a lens for those to work properly. At a recent dive show Sue Drafal said she has one lens with a reader and the other is normal, and her eyes adjusted after a short period of time. Not sure if that's the way to go...another friend said she had readers ground into her lenses, but that cost $300-400. Is there another alternative I haven't thought of?

Would greatly appreciate any imput from those who have this same issue!

a mono CTL(system) might work.......btw, ain't it good to be over 47+(or so)...lol...

EDIT:, I would ask your eye doc for some help in this case.....

Oh yeah...love getting older! Wish they made an underwater version of the Hoodman Loupe I have for my DSLR topside- that would be perfect!

Not to sounds stupid- what's a CTL system?

I will ask my eye doc...he might have a good idea. Thanks!

Oh yeah...love getting older! Wish they made an underwater version of the Hoodman Loupe I have for my DSLR topside- that would be perfect!

Not to sounds stupid- what's a CTL system?

I will ask my eye doc...he might have a good idea. Thanks!

sorry---I meant 'a contact lens system'(ctl) ie get fit with a(prossibly) single contact lens for near only in your nondominant eye-----might work....

Thanks for the link adurso. WIll check with my eye doc, and if that doesn't work out this might be a good option!

Thanks for the link adurso. WIll check with my eye doc, and if that doesn't work out this might be a good option!

There are several manufacturers out there. I prefer the readers to a single contact lens, keeps it simple for me.

I also had my eyes lasered a few years ago; I was wearing bifocals back then, my doc gave me the option of undercorrecting one eye, but the simplest solution was reading glasses on the surface and magnifiers in the mask.

Good luck

I have also seen where they attach a small round magnifier to the inside of the mask. It's placed on the lower section of the lens to peek through when you want to read a gauge. It will be out of your line of site so as not toblock your normal vision. I believe it can be attached to any mask. They use a clear adhesive and it is permanent.

Your mask has premade lens for it... I thought it would not work that well, but if you put a reading lens in your trailing eye, on the surface I don't even know I am seeing with only one eye.. and under water, just have to have what I want to read on the reading side. Works really well, and I have put my very expensive prescription ground mask as my backup...

Very important to know which is your lead and trailing eyes, do it wrong and you will not see on the surface....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom