Need advice-re:Cenotes in Northern Yucatan Peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to explore the Cenotes in the Northern Yucatan Peninsula.

If I use Merida as my "base", I am under the impression that it's about a 2 hour drive to the Cenotes, whereas if I use Uxmal as my base , the Cenotes are much closer.

If so, are there other things to do in Uxmal? Any suggestions as to locations and hotels will be greatly appreciated.

Sy

If so, are there other things to do in Uxmal? Any suggestions as to locations and hotels will be greatly appreciated.

Sy

We stayed at Hacienda Uxmal a few years back when touring the Mayan ruins in the area. It was fine for a night. It is a pretty big place, and they cater to tour groups, so it was either really full or empty. There is also the Lodge at Uxmal, which I think was originally built to house people during the excavation of Uxmal. It is a few minutes away from Hacienda, and I think they are both owned by the same company, Mayaland. We had dinner at the the Lodge.

As for stuff to do in the area, there are lots of Mayan ruins :) I don't remember seeing much of anything else.

Hi Sy!

If you are interested in diving cenotes I would recommend to stay in Tulum. This area is also known as Cave Country. The area is filled with holes in the ground that lead to underground rivers. Some of the most spectacular cave/cavern diving in the world is within a few minutes of the town center. The beaches here are baby powder white and there are very few people on them. On the north end of the town, you will find some amazing Mayan ruins right on the beach.

If you are interested in cavern diving in this area let me know and I will be more than glad to help you plan your vacation.

Warm regards from Mexico!

Karla

www.bluelife.com

Hi Adam,

I did some reading last night and got the impression that there are several Cenotes within an hour of Merida. That would be more convenient because I will be flying right into Merida and there are lots of things to do in that city.

I would consider Uxmal for a day trip. Is that practical?

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Sy

We stayed at Hacienda Uxmal a few years back when touring the Mayan ruins in the area. It was fine for a night. It is a pretty big place, and they cater to tour groups, so it was either really full or empty. There is also the Lodge at Uxmal, which I think was originally built to house people during the excavation of Uxmal. It is a few minutes away from Hacienda, and I think they are both owned by the same company, Mayaland. We had dinner at the the Lodge.

As for stuff to do in the area, there are lots of Mayan ruins :) I don't remember seeing much of anything else.

The cenotes near Tulum are world class with cave and cavern snorkeling/diving options for all skill and certification levels. Dos Ojos Cenote is world famous and a must do while in Tulum. I stayed at a budget hotel (EL Crucero) within walking distance of the Tulum Ruins and beach and a 3 minute cab ride to town.
It's a no frills place with a restaurant/bar and a great location. The reef is a 20 minute swim from shore so strong swimmers advised!

Hi Adam,

I did some reading last night and got the impression that there are several Cenotes within an hour of Merida. That would be more convenient because I will be flying right into Merida and there are lots of things to do in that city.

I would consider Uxmal for a day trip. Is that practical?

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Sy

Glad to help, Sy. Yes, I think a day trip to Uxmal is worth it if you like Mayan ruins. It is an impressive site. I'm pretty sure there are bus tours from Merida that go to both Uxmal and Kabah in a day.

I know there is active exploration going on up in the Merida area -- Curt Bowen's group has dived some cenotes there, and German Yanez has, too, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think there is any active infrastructure for cave diving up there like there is in the Playa/Tulum area, and the cenote are deeper, too, if I remember what I read. But Curt (of the former Advanced Diver Magazine) or German would be two people you could contact to find out.

He posted first on General Travel, and I suggested he would get better answers here. Most of us want to send him to Tulum it seems, but he is going to Merida - and I hope someone here knows about diving those cenotes.

I was surprised to find a few sites that do offer scuba diving in nearby holes. This one lists 4 that they go to, along with prices significantly higher than I remember paying around Tulum. certified scuba diving in cenotes | Yucatan Connection

Back
Top Bottom