Need dive shop for cruiser next week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alisonjones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be on a cruise ship next week, stopping in Grand Cayman on Wednesday from 10-4. Yes, I know: it's a busy week in GC, and my ship's arrival is later than dive boats like to leave. That said, does anyone personally know of a shop that's willing to accommodate cruisers? Many thanks!!

Some options I posted recently:

Carnival Splendor - Jan 3-8. Possible Jamaica and Grand Cayman Dives - Help?

Tight window on both sides but if you can find a single PM boat dive thats doable - they leave around 1PM - 1/2 hr. ride or less plus 45min or so dive - you could be back around 3. All the shops I mentioned are an easy walk from the port.

Stingray City is a fun shallow dive also. 1pmish departure from a marina 15mins. from Georgetown (cab), maybe a 15min. boat ride plus they'll call the dive around 45mins. Many of the shops keep a boat in a Sound marina just for it. It's all about the ray encounter though, it's a mostly sandy bottom with a few reef patches that's 15' deep. Note I'm referring to the dive not the Sandbar snorkel excursion your ship likely offers also - often they call it Stingray City also.

Also factor in that you're tendering off - so are the other 4-5 ships likely in port that day.

Try Off the Wall first - I've read they have accommodated others similarly.

With your window, Turtle Reef is pushing it, there can be traffic congestion going up Seven Mile Beach road.

Last edited:
Man thanks, Steve. Good info!

These ops serve the cruise ships, but check regading your timing. IIR, Eden has late morning dive times.
Off the Wall
Divers Down
Lobster Pot
Don Fosters (more a cattle boat)
Eden Rock

You could do shore dives at either the Turtle Farm or Sunset House, That way, you can establish your own timetable, and you won't have to risk being late back to the cruise ship.

Second vote for shore diving at Turtle Reef from Macabuca if weather permits and you can get up there without much traffic. Ask the cabbie (if you take a cab) to take Easterly Tibbets instead of West Bay for part of the ride up to Macabuca to avoid some of the SMB traffic. You can call ahead to see if diving is possible to avoid the trip up there if the water is too rough. If not, do Sunset House. If you shore dive, you could probably get in more than one dive. The 10-4 time frame would be tough to get in more than one boat dive. Turtle Reef is one of my favorite dives on the island. Beautiful mini wall!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom