Need dry suit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detsgtdavis

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a good use dry suit. My problem is which material should I go with Neoprene or a shell.

I live in North Carolina where the water temp in the quaries are around the high 40's to low 50's in the winter.

I was thinking a shell would be a better choice for me because I could then wear undergarments as needed for warmth. Or would a compressed neoprene 2mm or 4mm be the better choice.

As for the type of diving I am doing now is local dives. No wrecks or caving yet, but I am looking at starting once I get some more experince.

Love to hear what y'all think.
I did find a White compressed 4mm for about $400 slightly used and was given a price of $850. for Dive Concept 2 mm new. Feedback would be would be helpful.

I see way more shell suits in NC than neoprene. That said, if budget is your primary concern than you can get into a neoprene suit for less.

Rich

I love the lightweight packability of shell suits, specifically the new Hollis suits. To me, they are more comfortable.

A few of my friends, however, prefer the added warmth of the compressed neoprene.

If at all possible you need to be able to try one of each and decide what you prefer.

If you end up like many people diving dry much more than wet, even in warmer water, a shell drysuit will be very nice.

I remember diving some wrecks off NC in 75-degree water. Air temps were below 70. Light insulation made for great mobility and comfort in my shell drysuit both above and below the water.

I don't own a wetsuit anymore and use my shell suit even in 80-degree. The mobility is wonderful.

Dave C

I dive a White's Catalyst. A shell. I can appreciate your question as one problem with buying a drysuit that I found frustrating, is that you don't know what you don't know yet...

In my opinion, crushed neoprene is much closer to a shell than neoprene... it is more durable than neoprene, does not have as much the buoyancy of neoprene, and isn't as warm as neoprene. So I am considering your question to be between "real", "uncrushed",neoprene vs any other shell type - trilam, crushed neoprene, etc. (There are different befits in terms of stretchability and comfort among these, but that is a separate issue.)

One question to ask yourself if you are considering Neoprene is: do you need the additional warmth and insulation it will provide? I'd suggest you likely do not, but please understand that is simply an opinion. I dive in Ontario Canada and warm undies are generally great for all I do - If I need the addition of neoprene for warmth, the water is getting too crusty... and at depth when neoprene is getting compressed... there isn't that much additional warmth IMO.

I personally think the negatives of neoprene - specifically the buoyancy swing you experience, the extra weight you need to sink it, and the inability to lighten the temperature insulation for warmer weather, makes it less desirable.

Having said that.... MANY people wil argue benefits of neoprene and you will likely see a few in response to this :wink:

have fun shopping!

I found a great deal on a Whites 7mm neoprene drysuit on e-bay and am very happy with it. I have not tried a shell drysuit, the price difference made the choice easy for me.

Thanks for all the feedback. Budget is a great consideration for me, and if I am going to invest any money in a dry suit I want to get every beneifit I can from it. One I can get the most use out. So it sounds like a shell suit may fit me better. It should allow me to dive dry year round and be comfortable.

So for now lets say I should buy a shell. My next question is should I buy a twin shell, tri laminate so on so on. At least I think I read something about twin shell suits. I have also read some forums on here and deco about some of the shells do not hold up to well. I have read so much my head is starting to spin.

Thanks again for everyone who replied. It helps really does help!!

Uncle Joe's: I am going to be up your way in May. My wife is from MckeeSport and we will visiting some of her family. I was on the internet last night trying to find some local places to dive in the Pitt area. I may have to come your shop to check it out.

bottom line most the major manufactures have great suits my self love my DUI TLS350 and heard allot of talk about whites fusion suit , which I have whites replacing after a 2 yr ordeal with a local dive shop. for top end look at DUI ,Whites, Diving concepts.if in raleigh do see laura at gypsy divers,and see scott at down under neither will steer you wrong. or email me well meet and I show you both suits even go to quarry if you want there in mid 50's right now.

which I have whites replacing after a 2 yr ordeal with a local dive shop.

I'm pretty sure the Fusion hasn't been out for two years. Did you mistype?

Before ending up with my BARE CD4 Pro Dry I tried a DUI CF200x which was very comfortable to wear on shore. However it didnt keep me as dry as it should and the owner has had the same problem since the suit was new. On shore the DUI suit was a fair bit more comfortable than my CD4 is, but in the water I dont really feel much of a difference. I do most my diving in water temps from 0-20c and in that range the CD4 is quite ok. However, when its 25+ celcius and sun, it gets quite hot quite fast if youre wearing it on shore..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom