Need Help Deciding : SD800IS, SD900, A640 or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Livin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting a new digicam before my trip to Costa Rica end of Jan.

I'm trying to decide between the A640, SD900, and SD800IS or maybe even the A710IS, or something else if you have a rec?

Price is not an issue on these for me but I'm not willing to spend more then what these cost since I also need to buy an underwater case for them.

I use an Ikelite DS-50 strobe.

My "likes' for each...

A640 : AA bats, 10mp
SD800IS : Image Stabilization, small size, Digic III chip
SD900 : small size, 10mp, high-res lcd, Digic III chip

Questions / Thoughts...

a) Will the IS will help underwater?

b) Does the A640 or SD900 (10mp cams) have that much better IQ then the SD800IS?
- I want to be able to print as large as 8x10.

Please respond if you have used these cameras for land, scuba or snorkel... Thank you for any input you have!

7mp should be fine for anything shy of poster-size prints... and even then it would be pretty good. I really don't see the value of 10mp for cameras this small. A larger sensor in a DSLR might take advantage of the extra power, but the sensors on these are just too tiny. I've been seeing comments to this effect on review sites as well.

You can do 8x10 with as little as 3mp and be quite happy with the results. 4-5 is ideal, anything higher is just gravy.

I haven't used any of these cameras, although I've been looking HARD at the 800is and I have used a variety of other Canon cameras. From what I've read, and IS should give you an extra stop of usable light levels, which can come in really handy when shooting ambient light photos, and also in surge-y situations. The extra MPs between the 800 and 900 are just sales literature, IMO, and the high ISO capabilities of the 900 aren't really useable for anything you'd want to keep anyway.

The main advantage to the A series cameras, OTOH, is manual controls that will help you take advantage of your strobe. Still no TTL ability, but at least you can set App and Shutter. The SD series cameras are full auto-only. So that kinda depends on how you shoot and where you want your photography to go.

I'd skip the SD range...no manual controls. You might think this is OK for your needs, but you'll soon run into the limits and wish you had them.

The A range offers complete manual controls...if you don't want to use them, it also has full auto and a range of presets. I've been using the A series for years and think they offer tremendous bang for the buck and easily grow with you.

I used an old Sony 3.2mp cam for a long while... auto only, mostly... a little EV control but that is about it.

It worked fantastically... many ppl could not believe it was 3.2mp and thought it was 35mm on many of my pics, even when printed (professionally) as 5x7

I think I may go with the SD800IS due to the IS... I'd love to get an SD for the AA bats but they do not make a newer A that has IS, A710 use the older Digic II chip. Wish they'd update it already.

Livin:
I used an old Sony 3.2mp cam for a long while... auto only, mostly... a little EV control but that is about it.

It worked fantastically... many ppl could not believe it was 3.2mp and thought it was 35mm on many of my pics, even when printed (professionally) as 5x7

I think I may go with the SD800IS due to the IS... I'd love to get an SD for the AA bats but they do not make a newer A that has IS, A710 use the older Digic II chip. Wish they'd update it already.
Pick up a second battery and rotate the two, and you'll be quite happy. AAs have their place for some people, but I've always found them to be a pain, and if you end up buying rechargeables anyway what's the point, esp since the chargers are pretty big and bilky by comparison? The Canon charger is tiny and very convenient, too.

I look forward to seeing your shots, since I've been considering picking one of these up as a secondary, light-and-easy travel camera.

After reading reviews across the internet and my experience with a S3IS, I am convinced that Canon's Optical Image Stabilization (IS) technology is a must have feature. Canon's IS gives up to 3 stops better performance with no loss of image quality like most electronic IS systems. In limited light situations that is a big advantage.

I am looking to replace my Canon S30 (3.3MP) and will go with the appropriate Canon WP case and no strobe. I like the small package for ease of travel and to clip off on my D-ring when I don't feel like shooting.

Therefore, I have narrowed my choices to the A710IS or the SD800IS for my new travel and scuba camera. The M/Tv/A capability of the A710IS is a big plus, the AA batteries are a plus, but the larger size is a disadvantage. I love the SD800IS because of the small size, Digic III chip, face recognition, and longer movie capability, but the limited battery and no M/Tv/A modes hurts.

Any thoughts??

Same as always...the SD range does not have manual control of the aperture and shutter. This is a deal breaker for me every time.

For underwater I would head for the A series.

It depends on which is more important: smaller & the other bits you mention or more versatile with a bit more size. For me, there would be no question.

Willar:
After reading reviews across the internet and my experience with a S3IS, I am convinced that Canon's Optical Image Stabilization (IS) technology is a must have feature. Canon's IS gives up to 3 stops better performance with no loss of image quality like most electronic IS systems. In limited light situations that is a big advantage.

I am looking to replace my Canon S30 (3.3MP) and will go with the appropriate Canon WP case and no strobe. I like the small package for ease of travel and to clip off on my D-ring when I don't feel like shooting.

Therefore, I have narrowed my choices to the A710IS or the SD800IS for my new travel and scuba camera. The M/Tv/A capability of the A710IS is a big plus, the AA batteries are a plus, but the larger size is a disadvantage. I love the SD800IS because of the small size, Digic III chip, face recognition, and longer movie capability, but the limited battery and no M/Tv/A modes hurts.

Any thoughts??
Underwater, the size differential is somewhat changed by the housing issue... both cameras bloat considerably when you put them in a housing, and the SD cameras lose some of their edge. On land, however, they are incomparable.

Assuming you can afford to buy a spare battery or two, in all but the most remote locations, in what way is the rechargeable battery "limited"?

Whether or not you can live without manual modes is an issue only you can answer, OTOH. And we all know where Alcina lays on the issue. ;-) For me, the answer to this aspect is "yes, under some circumstances".

32.gif

I would not buy any "point and shoot" camera for underwater use that does not have manual controls.

There is no comparison in the quality of photos shot in the manual mode versus the auto mode.

I say this after shooting with a "point and shoot" camera for nearly five years. I started out using the auto mode and progressed to the full manual mode.

CompuDude brings up a very intersting point with megapixels. These small cameras have small sensors and may not do as good a job at 10 megapixels as at 5 or 6.

I bought a A640 to replace my A95 and used it the first time two week ago in Aruba. You can see some of the pictures I took on my site at http://diving.florent.us/album.php?nav=0000.
I love the A640, it performs above my expectations. As I use a YS-25 strobe I need the manual mode and therefore would only consider the A series. About for the small sensor of the A640 for 10 Mpixels, I was a bit concerned about it initially but after using the camera for a while now it is not a problem at all, and I I think the extra pixels are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom