Need help to tour the mainland coast ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed to CZM in April and would like to take a day and head over to PDC and then down the coast toward Tulum just to see what it looks like now. Does anyone know a good way to see the mainland coast without renting a car ?

It has been years since I've done it, last time was in the early 1990's and the road out of PDC south was just a small 2 lane country road with only a couple resorts around Akumal and nothing else all the way to Tulum. I'm sure I will be very surprised by the changes.

I don't really want to rent a car for the day, unless there is no other way, but would rather do like on CZM when touring the island and hire a car or taxi for the day so I can rubber neck and take some pictures and make unscheduled stops to look around. I don't want to take a tour type of thing.

I'd just like to head down to Puerto Aventuras, Tulum and just work back up the coast looking at some of the resorts along the way that we can see from CZM on a clear day, then take the ferry back over at the end of the day. It would be nice if someone has done this that can point me to a reliable guy or service.

If there isn't any other way, is there a reputable car rental in PDC or do you have to rent out of Cancun.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

Some here have mentioned drives they have used so maybe you'll get that info ok...

If there isn't any other way, is there a reputable car rental in PDC or do you have to rent out of Cancun.
There are many. Those close to the ferry dock are pricier I think. I use EasyWay. It's a few blocks walk, but great price including insurance.

Another option is to walk up to the taxi stand in front of the bus station in PDC, and arrange it with a cab driver to hire him out for X amount of hours, this will be considerably more than renting a car and doing it on your own, but it will allow you to "look around" and take pictures as you go. You will be more than surprised at the changes, it's nothing like it was in the early 90's, night and day really...

IF you decide to rent a car, read the Top Questions on gas station scams and police extortion/bribes in the Top Questions section of the Trip Advisor Playa del Carmen forum.

Thanks guys.. Much appreciated advice.

I did a couple Google searches and came up with this.. looks pretty interesting and exactly what I was looking for.

Has anyone had any experience with this company.

Playa del Carmen Private Driver and Tour Guide

Last edited:
AZScubadude,
I used the local buses that run along the coast hiway. Many locals use them to get to work in the resorts. You can find them by walking up from the ferry pier and a few blocks to the north on the north side of the square. White vans with A/C.

AZScubadude,
I used the local buses that run along the coast hiway. Many locals use them to get to work in the resorts. You can find them by walking up from the ferry pier and a few blocks to the north on the north side of the square. White vans with A/C.

They are called the collectivo if that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom