Need Help With A Project On Camping And Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This applies to pretty much anything that comes up in life...

nah, life sometimes requires the use of bailing wire as well.

Best fancy camping gear I ever bought was a small Jetboil camp stove with the French press attachment.

i always oogled the jetboil stuff at REI, but that $$$$. $120 for a single burner small capacity cup seems crazy UNLESS you're backpacking it in / out where every cubic inch and ounce of weight matters.

if you're car camping, you can get a collapsible two burner camping grill for $130 ish, or go super cheap and get one of those $40 two burner colman camping stoves. toss in a $10 ikea french press, and dollar store kettle and you can make coffee as well as have some pretty respectable cooking power.

How's this for an idea. Camper in the front dive gear in the back.

i would not want to try and park that pretty much anywhere!

last year and a half we tent camped for quarry scuba trips out of an 03 focus hatchback (you'd be amazed how well it worked once the rear seats were completely removed!). few weeks ago a '88 Chevy g20 conversion van showed up on craigslist for a song and fit the bill perfectly. carries all the gear without issue, packs easy, and the fold down bed is fairly comfy. still addressing some camping requirements like bug netting and privacy screens / insulation, but will be taking the inaugural quarry camping trip in 3 weeks or so! the only foreseeable 'want' is to replace the fold down bed with a platform bed for a bit more room, but that’s relatively straightforward.

before someone asks, no, there will not be any free candy available in the van.

also seen a few the smaller enclosed trailers used for sleeping in. just toss in a gear rack and a cot, and you're good to go. not splendid living, but gets the job done cheap and effectively.

my home shop, Underwater Phantaseas in Lakewood, Colorado, has been doing a camping/diving weekend for many years. You should email them for their promotional and planning materials. E mail staff@underwaterphantaseas.com.
DivemasterDennis

I love camping and diving.
I had an annual dive camp party that I did for 12 years.
What started as a very simple spartan affair ended up as a full blown bash with 50 to 60 people in attendance. We ended up with a full blown gourmet commercial kitchen, proffesional chefs showing up, a tiki bar, seahunt movies at night projected on a white sheet that was hung on the side of a motorhome, commercial BBQ, it was crazy. It was a multi person effort to be able to pull it off but they were loads of fun.
Some tips I have from my experiences would include:
For cooking we used camp chef stoves available at Costco. They put out a huge amount of heat and require a 5 gal propane bottle but for preparing large amounts of food and using flat griddles nothing beats them.
Get lots of cutting boards and knives. I used to go to garage sales and find all my camping kitchen untencils including some of the best knives I own. I also found a bunch of stainless bowls at a salvage place. I always find stuff that is heavy duty and unbreakable for camping. I collected a whole series of cast iron skillets and also found a huge one (biggest they make). Wok pans are also great and they're cheap, I found some good ones at Wal Mart.
Get a couple huge boiling pots to heat water for dishes etc. we used rubbermain dish washing tubs and used the campsite table bench as the place to do dishes.
For wetsuits I made a PVC hanging rack that was colapsable, but later I found it easier to just keep using the wetsuit and gear continuosly the whole trip and just clean everything thoroughly when I got home. The secret is to dive so much that your gear never gets a chance to dry out and get crusty.
We ended up going to a campground for the last 4 years of the party that had water and power in every campsite. I always used a tent, and the nights on the coast can get really cold and damp even in the summer, the fog can roll in and it an be one drizzly miserable time if you're not ready for it. I finally got tired of freezing my ass at night so I went to West Marine and got one of their boat cabin heaters which are designed to leave on inside a boat for weeks at a time unattended, and they are totally safe. They are almost silent and have a thermostat so you can set the heat. I put one of those in my tent and was never toastier! I even left it on during the day and all my stuff stayed warm and dry, including the tent. Each site had a power post so I just ran a cord to my tent.
All our coolers had metal clasps and caribeeners or pad locks put on them due to marauding raccoons at night. All our food was purchased at Costco.
We bought all sorts of food like tri tip, ribs, chicken, all the breakfast food like lbs of bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, etc. you have to eat when you dive especially in cold water. And then there was all the seafood we got. The party actually centered around abalone diving and eating a lot of abalone. But there was always other stuff like scallops, rockfish, lingcod, crabs, urchins (uni), and other stuff.
Also a good supply of firewood is always nice. Just when you think you have enough bring some more. Firewood goes fast.
And last, bring some good bourbon to sip when you're around the fire at night.
Some of the best times in my life were dive campouts and sitting around the fire with friends after a day of diving.

Last edited:
I bought my Soul in January of 2014 and registered for OW in February so I got lucky lol. My wife doesn't dive so if its a shore dive she usually stays right beside my gear so thats nice. If She didnt go with me I'd gear up at the car and leave everything in the car. At least leave the tank. I live in Tennessee so I don't shore dive much 95% of my diving is in local quarries and rivers so I unload everything and never have problems.

When it comes to camping though it is the best you can keep everything together and locked up.

Side note, my 50 gallon (not sure about the 25 but it should work) has a super durable lid, I actually stand on top of mine when donning my wetsuit or taking it off to avoid getting sand or debris all over it.
Ah I see, you did get lucky! I will probably lock my stuff up in my car unless it is staying near someone on the shore that I know. I definitely do not want to lose anything I bought so I will be pretty cautious.

For camping I am the only one in my tent and it has a lot of extra room so I likely will actually bring the bin into the tent. I'm not sure how feasible that would be if I had the 50 gallon, but the 25 should be no problem. Either that or I tie it to something and lock it there if possible :).

I like your idea of standing on the lid, but unfortunately I don't think it would work as well with the 25 gallon. While I don't think the lid would have a problem holding me, there just isn't enough room to stand there without me easily falling off. I'll probably instead bring a towel or something that I don't care much about and put that down like a matt and change out of the wetsuit on that.

You always have to be aware of sun and air temp. when leaving a tank in a car. They have burst disks now to prevent exploding, but if one gets blown I guess that tank is out of action. If necessary, I would advise all windows cracked for a cross breeze, and place tank out of direct sunlight. Full tank probably more risky than near empty. Car in shade from trees a lot better if possible.

You always have to be aware of sun and air temp. when leaving a tank in a car. They have burst disks now to prevent exploding, but if one gets blown I guess that tank is out of action. If necessary, I would advise all windows cracked for a cross breeze, and place tank out of direct sunlight. Full tank probably more risky than near empty. Car in shade from trees a lot better if possible.
Yeah this is a worry I have with leaving the tanks in the car. The tanks are expensive so I don't really want to just leave them outside sitting under a tree while I'm diving, but at the same time I also don't want them bursting while in my car.

Sometimes it is hard getting the car in the shade as throughout the day where the sun is will change and a shady spot can become sunny. I've been thinking if I need to put them in the car I will probably just have them in the trunk or backseat and like you said have the windows down a little. Ideally I just don't have a case where I need to store them in the car, but I guess you never know when you may need to :/

I've been in or around the diving industry in (hot) South Florida for 36 years and have yet to hear of a tank exploding from being in a hot car. In fact, I've not even heard of any blowing a burst disc. Not to say it doesn't happen but if it does, it's really rare. You can always pile some towels on top of the tanks to keep them out of the direct sun.

I've been in or around the diving industry in (hot) South Florida for 36 years and have yet to hear of a tank exploding from being in a hot car. In fact, I've not even heard of any blowing a burst disc. Not to say it doesn't happen but if it does, it's really rare. You can always pile some towels on top of the tanks to keep them out of the direct sun.
My trunk has no windows in the trunk so no light would hit the tanks at all. So I think I'll probably put them there. And I'm in Ontario so it probably isn't as hot as Florida either :).

The problem with keeping a tank in the trunk of the car is really about getting it filled. If the tank is empty and hot then you take to be filled, you are going to get a crappy fill. The compressor is going to heat the air as it gets pumped into an already hot cylinder. When you hit the water and in loses all that heat, you are going to find that you are diving with a 2/3 fill.

I usually keep the tank in the trunk and put a towel/blanket over it to keep it insulated from the warming air in the trunk. A burst disk could go, but is unlikely in my NE climate.

The problem with keeping a tank in the trunk of the car is really about getting it filled. If the tank is empty and hot then you take to be filled, you are going to get a crappy fill. The compressor is going to heat the air as it gets pumped into an already hot cylinder. When you hit the water and in loses all that heat, you are going to find that you are diving with a 2/3 fill.

I usually keep the tank in the trunk and put a towel/blanket over it to keep it insulated from the warming air in the trunk. A burst disk could go, but is unlikely in my NE climate.

I do keep mine wrapped in a blanket, but I have been actually doing this to keep them from banging around against each other when I drive. I guess it serves two purposes now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom