Need Help With Aga and equalization!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireman15

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am about to join my Department PSD Team and I went out with my captain and a few other people to see what it's like to dive with our Aga masks. I love the fact that its full face but I ran into a problem as I descended. The first twenty feet swallowing was enough to equalize my ears but after that the squeeze was on. I never have had this problem with a normal mask because I have the ability to pinch my nose and clear my ears. I tried the jaw side to side and nothing, i tried the tongue to the roof of my mouth and swallow same result. In order to clear my ears I had to stop my descent, ascend a few feet and swallow really hard then I could continue on down but it was a total struggle. I know that our masks have a nose piece that can be adjusted and Ive been told if you adjust it right you can then push on the front of the mask hard enough to clear your ears. I start my PSD classes on the 10th of July and really don't want to have problems during the class. Just wanted to see if any one you experienced guys have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Use the nose block inside the oral-nasal cup - use it to block off your nostrils and blow, try to stay far ahead.

You may want to take a look at overloading yourself as far as taking the PSD courses and doing them in FFM/ Dry or whatever. If you can take the PSD course in normal rec gear, it may allow you to focus on some of the core PSD skill sets, and then when you are comfortable transition to FFM (there are cert courses for FFM that may be of value to you down the road).

Teams in my area develop and build on the PSD course foundation, then integrate more advanced skills (ie FFM) for higher level courses and situations. Keep in mind we are all learning and adding to our tool box... becoming operation versus a technician level takes time. Go at a pace that is safe and comfortable for you.

The nose block on the AGA has three slots around the base- you can adjust the position up or down as needed to block your nose.

To equalize- push up on the chin of the mask till the nose block actually contacts your nose. The nose block is positioned correctly when it does not touch your nose with the mask in normal position and it just barely contacts your nose when you push up.

If the nose block wont reach in the highest position get a small piece of thick neoprene and glue/tape it to the top of the nose block.

i would spend time on a reply but tc is rite the nose block should sit just below the nose and with a slight upward pressure the plug should seal if uo have to beat up the mask to get it to fit then thats to much

on a side note where was your frist dive on the ffm pool or open water. it should have been pool and you would get the training needed for a good o/w experience thing about it what if you failed to clear and burst you ear drum on the frist dive. your psd careere would be over before it begun.
not knocking your actions just being the mother hen i am stay safe see you in the water

I had to build a little higher nose block for my "little" snoz. Take a piece of neoprene, preferably skin 2 sides, and glue it on with neoprene cement. After it's dry, you can trim along the outside of the plug with a razor knife. It gives a little more play with the adjustment of the plug up and down.

With some practice you'll find it's not hard, just place a horizontal finger under the nose area and push up fairly sharply.

Jack

One other "trick" as it relates to making a larger nose block...

If you purchase another nose block you can cut the "V" off and have a flat surface that will glue to the base your primary nose block. That way, instead of having a block with three adjustment slots, you have one with six. This creates a nose block that can be used by other teammates and can be sanitized easily, in the same manner as other nose blocks.

Best of luck with your training!

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

Another quick note. If you place a ziptie through the hole in the nosepiece and around the rear of the nosepiece, wraping around the metal wire, it will keep the nosepiece from falling out while diving.

Of course this is best if you are issued your own gear. I think its easier to get a good seal against your nose when you do this. It removes a little play.

Our new OTS masks actually have different nose piece adjustments for thicker and wider noses (about 4 different pieces). The plug only has two adjustment levels and then you add the piece of your choice. A much improved mask over-all, btw.

But it seems like these new pieces should fit the older Aga mask, You might want to call and ask about them.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom