Need help with drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good info, guys - Thanks! :)

If I can throw another question in the mix -- I've "heard" (through reading through SB and asking questions) that DUI doesn't do a very good job sealing their seams. Would you thow in thoughts on that, too, please?

Seaworm,
it's important to try a couple drysuits first. I only tested DUI at the DOG day, but really loved the TLS (didnt even try the compressed neoprene, just by carying it dry !).
Try to find someone who could let you try in a pool, or rent one (assuming you have the !@#$ c-card).
I've seen DUI TLS350 with likely hundreds or thousands or dives, used by instructors or so, and the way they look is just quite impressive.
Many people diving a lot seems to use DUI and WhiteF, sometime Bare.
I ended up with the TLS350, and looked away when I gave the Visa.
Stock size are little cheaper and probably fit. It is ok to be little tight.

Now, beyond the suit itself, there are other key things to decides: boots, zipseal and gloves, pockets, knees/protection, and most important item: undergarment. A lot to study and to spend:eyebrow:

Seaworm,
it's important to try a couple drysuits first. I only tested DUI at the DOG day, but really loved the TLS (didnt even try the compressed neoprene, just by carying it dry !).
Try to find someone who could let you try in a pool, or rent one (assuming you have the !@#$ c-card).
I've seen DUI TLS350 with likely hundreds or thousands or dives, used by instructors or so, and the way they look is just quite impressive.
Many people diving a lot seems to use DUI and WhiteF, sometime Bare.
I ended up with the TLS350, and looked away when I gave the Visa.
Stock size are little cheaper and probably fit. It is ok to be little tight.

Now, beyond the suit itself, there are other key things to decides: boots, zipseal and gloves, pockets, knees/protection, and most important item: undergarment. A lot to study and to spend:eyebrow:

But does it leak?

I can give you my experience with Bare Trilam HD Tech 2009 model (it was teh year when they have changed the suit material and my suit has the serial number 16 - one of the first). I currently have about 150 dives on it. Overall I have no problems with the suit. Here are the comments about it:

- Though the outer material looks tougher than the others it is not in fact exactly so. The outer synthetic material de-threads easily. At the places where something rubs against it like harness , BP etc. The threads start sticking out. Besides if you rub it against some hard objects it de-threads easily again.
- In some places especially at bends the outer layer peels off the mid layer.
- The seams are ok so far but when I was replacing the boot I saw that the boot peeled off in the places where it was glued to the tape running over the seams So the only water isolation remained was the tape running around the boot .
- patches fell off half way after the first 20 dives.
- The seam is rubbing against dry zipper in the top left part damaging the membrane material. The seam is placed in the place where the harness sits over it. IT is absolutely not necessary and the only function of it is just to hold the patch.
- the exhaust valve is placed in the wrong place

- if you ever decide to go with Bare do not use their stupid feet measuring carpet as it gives you the wrong sizing (I was measures as 3XL instead of L)

OVerall it is an OK suit but I wish I had bought DUI CLX instead. When we were ordering the suit for my wife we just decided to go with DUI CLX

Good info. I am also start looking into dry suits.

One drysuit I found, Mares Ice Fit, even costs less than some wetsuits. I am sure if it really is dry, it will better than any wetsuit for cold water. Yeah, it doesn't look that good tho.

But does it leak?

My 10 year old CLX-450 finally leaked last year, but not at a seam. I've a leak at the shoulder dump valve when set to auto/light resistance. Rolled the valve to manual and viola, no leak.

This suit has been all over the country, through over half a million miles of airline travel plus loads of road miles as we drove to various locations. averaging ~50-75 dives a year.

A drysuit is a significant investment, and rarely will a recreational diver own more than one. Therefore, we're often adamant about supporting our personal choice of vendor. Decide what your personal priorities are, and that will guide you to the best choice.

P.S.
Valves are a wear part and need periodic service/replacement. This is normal for any drysuit.

P.S.
Valves are a wear part and need periodic service/replacement. This is normal for any drysuit.

Thanks, Mike!

The DUI is the one brand that people have consistantly reported as springing a seam leak -- but those same people have had their suits for 'a long time'.

I'm not seeing that same complaint in those with suits purchased in the last ~2-4 years . . .

seaworm, give a good hard look at a white's fusion before you decide on something else.

i fell into a new-old-stock andy's (person custom ordered it, never took possession, andy's went out of business, shop wanted to get rid of it) that fit perfectly & i love, but if i were buying from scratch, i'd really *really* look at a fusion. they are tougher than they look, very flexible, & easy to learn in.

My Choices were DUI/Bare and don't think you can go wrong with either Suit. Both have been making them for many years and Stand behind there Product. The thing I liked about Bare Is that Things standard on there suit cost extra for the DUI. Such as Heavy duty wrist/neck seals/Kevlar knee padz. It was alot of that. I could have gotten the DUI easilly afforded it. But The suit for me did not justify spending an extra 800.00 for the Name and in my opinon thats all it was. My girlfrind and I both have the same suit and Love it. Two of our frinds have the Signature DUI custom and they like they're suit even though they are not as happy with the fit as they like. Another friend has Bare and love it no problems. So it's really personal choice. But either brand in my mind will Last you for years. One other thing that BAre offers DUI does not Is a

"Lifetime warranty on all Seams and workmanship"

From the site

Lifetime Guarantee - A Warranty Done Right
At BARE we take our commitment to product quality seriously. Our drysuits in particular are legendary for their durability and longevity with many of our customers getting a full lifetime of use out of their BARE drysuit before passing it on to a friend or family member. This has allowed us to offer something that no other drysuit manufacturer has been able to do: a Lifetime Guarantee on seams and workmanship.

Much more than a warranty, BARE is the first and only drysuit manufacturer to offer a Lifetime Guarantee. Except for normal wear and tear, misuse or negligence, BARE will honor all claims against seams and workmanship for the life of the drysuit worldwide. Even if you’re not the original owner, you’re covered.

In a category where the next closest competitor only offers a 7-year warranty, we think you’ll agree that the BARE Guarantee says something quite extraordinary about the quality of the people, materials and technology that goes into each and every one of our drysuits. We stand behind our workmanship like no one else because you deserve a product like no other.

Back
Top Bottom