Need help with ladies BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs63366

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My lady friend is looking to get a BC and she is looking at the Aeries Wahine and the Oceanic Hera Ladies. Does anybody have any experience with these? If not these what are the women diving these days? She does not like the idea of the back inflate or the BP/W since they tip you forward some if you over inflate at the surface. She is new to diving and is wanting to start getting her gear. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Kyle

Please keep in mind that it honestly doesn't matter what any of us are wearing or loving, it all comes down to what fits your lady friend properly and what she prefers. The best advice I can give is that she should try on as many different brands and styles as she can, and once she's narrowed it down, try her final 2 or 3 choices in the water if possible.

She should pick the BC that fits her best and that she's most comfortable wearing (not the BC that fits me best and I'm most comfortable in).

Oceanic and Aeris are the same company for all intents and purposes, and an excellent company. I've seen quite a few Heras in the past couple of years, so they seem to be a well loved and popular choice for women.

In a perfect world thats what I would be doing, but we are out in Japan and dont have a close dive shop to try on BC's from. She has tried on the Hera on the surface and liked that. I know that fit and trim will be different for everyone, i was more looking for how they held up and if they try to push you forward when on the surface.

Kyle

I have an Oceanic Hera. I primarily use it to teach classes in the pool. I use an Aqualung Balance BC for OW diving & travel. The Hera is a very comfortable BC. Padding in all the right places & is highly adjustable for sizing. However, the big minus on it, is that it is not the greatest of travel BC's. The padding adds considerable weight & bulk to the BC. Some things to consider about it.

bs63366, the Hera is mostly a back inflate BC (actually it is a hybrid jacket/ back inflate). These & most any back inflates can have the capacity to push a diver forward in the water on the surface, if it is overinflated (a common thing to happen with those not very familiar with back inflates, because you can not immediately feel how full the bladder is). Weight distribution & body positioning can also make a difference in how it acts on the surface. Personally I try to put a majority of my weight in the non ditchable trim pockets & just a bit of weight in the ditchable pockets for balance. When On the surface, I will only inflate the bladder enough to keep my chin out of the water. I also will lean back against the tank, as if sitting in an reclining chair. Doing this, I use almost no energy & can rest on the surface.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that it honestly doesn't matter what any of us are wearing or loving, it all comes down to what fits your lady friend properly and what she prefers. The best advice I can give is that she should try on as many different brands and styles as she can, and once she's narrowed it down, try her final 2 or 3 choices in the water if possible.

She should pick the BC that fits her best and that she's most comfortable wearing (not the BC that fits me best and I'm most comfortable in).

Oceanic and Aeris are the same company for all intents and purposes, and an excellent company. I've seen quite a few Heras in the past couple of years, so they seem to be a well loved and popular choice for women.

I am also new to diving and have just bought my own gear recently. I tried the zena, which I thought was too cool, I liked the feeling of nothing, but did not like how it pushed me forward when at the surface, I felt like I was fighting to stay up right. I bought the Hera, and really like it. I don't feel as much of a push forward, it is light and fits nice at the hips and waist. I do not regret my purchase, even tho I did not get to try it first in the water. However, I am glad that the LDS owners wife had the zena and they let me use it one day at the quarry and I found out that as much as I like the look of it and the lightness, I could not get over the pushing forward.

In a perfect world thats what I would be doing, but we are out in Japan and dont have a close dive shop to try on BC's from. She has tried on the Hera on the surface and liked that. I know that fit and trim will be different for everyone, i was more looking for how they held up and if they try to push you forward when on the surface.

Kyle

Just get one & go for it......THE ONLY way your friend will really know which is better is to try each one on a dive,basically back to back,(& that's gunna be impossible to do)......Just do it......My last 2 BCs(a Zeagle Scout & a DR BP/W) and my wife's last BC(a Seaquest Libra) were ordered over the internet without any pre trials or asking for info like you are doing----------AND we each love all of them.....Just pull the trigger on one is my opinion, probably the one she has tried on??........

Frankly, if a back inflate BC (or wing style) is pushing you forward at the surface, then it's inflated too much. When I inflate my wing style BC I simply lay back as if I'm in a recliner. No pushing face forward that way. :wink:

Again, IMO the most important thing is comfort and fit.

My wife dove a Scubapro Double Black for 15 years and swore she would never get rid of it. I bought her a Oceanic Hera and had to beg her to at least try it before I took it back. The Scubapro has been retired. She says she loves the fit and feel of the Hera and her hips don't get bruises from a weight belt.

Frankly, if a back inflate BC (or wing style) is pushing you forward at the surface, then it's inflated too much. When I inflate my wing style BC I simply lay back as if I'm in a recliner. No pushing face forward that way. :wink:

Again, IMO the most important thing is comfort and fit.

Yes, tried that, deflate some, but could not get it right and could never get to the point of laying back. But your right, comfort and fit are the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom