Need help with sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clay357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We did our first ocean dive today. It was also our first boat dive. Had an incredible time, but would have been much better if I had not gotten terribly seasick. Please help me with any info on what works for you or some one you know.

Thanks for your help,

A very excited rookie.

Get some Bonine. It's like Dramamine only you don't have to take it as often, usually one dose every twenty-four hours. A friend that gets sea sick easily takes a dose the day before going on a boat and then another every morning during the dive trip.

A couple other things that help-
look out at the horizon not at the deck
some people have luck eating food that contains ginger (e.g. ginger snaps or ginger ale)
if you start feeling nauseous after the boat stops at the dive site, get in the water as soon as possible

markr makes several good points.

Some people find that real ginger works pretty well to hold seasickness at bay. If you go this route, make sure that the candy/gum/food has real ginger in it and not artificial ginger flavoring.

It's also worth trying self-hypnosis, "pressure" points, staring at the horizon, positioning yourself on a part of the boat that's more stable, avoiding diesel fumes at the back of some boats, and getting fresh air on deck. I try to get all of my dive gear set up prior to the boat even leaving the dock. I also avoid large or greasy meals prior to boarding the boat.

I use meclizine (Bonine). Others prefer Dramamine. There are a few different formulations of Dramamine. Check the box for the specific active ingredient. There are some options that require a physician's prescription, e.g., scopolamine.

When considering an anti-seasickness med, the most important thing to test out beforehand is the side effect profile. Dose with the candidate med on a day when you're not going out on a boat. Go about your day doing your normal routine. Keep an eye out for dry mouth, dizziness, or a general mental "haziness." Obviously, discontinue anything with more serious side effects. Beware of any interactions that the drug may have with other medications you may be taking.

I always feel better once I finally start the dive where I don't have to deal with continuous up/down or rolling motions. FWIW, I've yakked before boat dives or during surface intervals...and been perfectly OK on subsequent dives. I really hate surface intervals where the boat remains anchored -- much better if we are moving to another site elsewhere.

We did our first ocean dive today. It was also our first boat dive. Had an incredible time, but would have been much better if I had not gotten terribly seasick. Please help me with any info on what works for you or some one you know.

Thanks for your help,

A very excited rookie.

:bounce: Yay, another NC Wreck Diver is minted! Congratulations.

Where did you dive? If it is any consolation to you, you are not alone. People who brag about not ever being seasick here are mostly lying. Even most of the captains take Bonine. The issue is not only the waves/waves intervals that you are traversing, but how LONG of a ride it is out to the dive sites. I never have a problem with short rides in Florida or elsewhere.

Because I never know when we are going to have good conditions and when we are not, I always take bonine. Take one the night before. Take one the morning of. And I would advise doing this sometime when you are not diving to see how it affects you before you start doing it as a pre dive regimen. Remember that once you are queasy, it isn't going to work to take it then. I've tried that when the forecast was good and the seas kicked up after we were out, and it doesn't work. Now, since I realize I am not going to be able to predict what happens on any given day, I take it all of the time.

Most of the crew and DMs will tell you not to have protein in the am before you dive. It is harder to digest and if you get seasick, will be more likely to come up than something less challenging to your stomach. So I have oatmeal, toast, cereal, something like that. I also bring salty crackers and a very simple sandwich with just a little protein for the SI, like a PB and J. That plus the bonine problem seems to have worked for me. Oh, and something gatorade like.

I doubt you will have much problem if you do these things, but if you do, see the advice previously given. Also pay attention to whether or not you are sensitive to smells, like diesel fuel. I am. And keep trying to drink even if you are sick as dehydration and deep diving do not mix.

See you out on the wrecks?

Oh and by the way, if you find yourself miserably seasick but otherwise OK, TRY to get in the water and dive! You will feel much better in the water than you will on the deck of a rocking boat while everyone else is diving. Plus, we will give you grief if you don't man up after yakking.

But of course, if you truly don't feel good about doing a dive, you get to thumb without question.

My seasickness seems to come from clogging of my sinuses. It is also mental. Allergy, I get seasick. Cold, I get seasick. Someone else gets seasick, I get seasick. Someone even mentions that I always get seasick, I get seasick. I had my sinuses scanned - all is OK.

For trips lasting 2 or more days, I use the Scopalamine patch. I currently take time released Sudafed a couple of hours before and may use Afrin also to clear my sinuses. Have not really had much problems the last few years. I used to eat soda crackers so I would have something to feed the fish that did not hurt coming up. Also no sugar, soda pop, or greasy food.

I think I also have a prescription for Bonine.

Just got back from a liveaboard with the bride, who gets sick sometimes. She didn't take anything before we left port because she knows everything. Once she realized things were going poorly, she took a Bonine, which she immediately threw back up. Luckily, for me, we (I) had also gotten Scopolamine patches for her. She put one behind her ear & things got better for her, thus improving my situation exponentially. Funny how that worked out. She did well on the lee side of the islands, needing no help for seasickness but before we set out for home a patch appeared behind her ear. I've heard good things about Bonine, but you need to take it ahead of time, it doesn't work well in the toilet :). If I were you I'd keep both handy, Bonine the night before & the patches in case things go South.

We dove the Sherman with Coastal Scuba out of Myrtle Beach. They were incredible. Seas were 4-6 feet on the 35 min. trip out. Got a little rougher while we were out.

We dove the Sherman with Coastal Scuba out of Myrtle Beach. They were incredible. Seas were 4-6 feet on the 35 min. trip out. Got a little rougher while we were out.

Well that was a good initiation. Much more than that and you wouldn't have gone out. I dive mainly out of Morehead and Wilmington, and in Morehead, the rides out are 2 hours plus. You'll be fine, just need to sort out how you want to prepare to not be sick next time.

several very good suggestions have already been made. just wanted to give little more detail on some.

over the counter rx is either bonine/dramamine. are essentially the same. word of caution, most common side effect is drowiness. as others have said, use at home to see how it affects you before you try to scuba.

avoid heavy, greasy meals prior to leaving and before scuba in general. crackers, toast, (carbs in general) are great sources energy and easily digestible. also good for neutralizing stomach acid. also get good night sleep before the trip and make sure you are well hydrated before leaving dock. also avoid alcohol in excess night before.

non drug therapy are wrist bands for motion sickness in general. work on acupunture point on wrist that is supposed to help with nausea. they are elastic bands with small plastic dot in the middle. you can look for them in any pharmacy.

a doctor can prescribe scopolamine. comes in patches but need 30 minutes before they are effective but last up to 3 days. very handy if on live aboard dive boats. also comes in pills which you can take every 8 hours or so.

while on boat don't go indoors. try get comfortable on deck where the boat doesn't rock as much. also stay away from the engine area since fumes may may sensation worse. i pod or similar on trip may help take mind of nausea but don't close eyes on deck. if not available then always talk to fellow divers.

good luck next trip. fun and safe diving to all.

Back
Top Bottom