Need Info on Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know if this is where I should post this, but here goes.

I plan on diving some remote places this summer (and in the future) that are 3 to 4 hours from the closest dive shop. I really would rather not have to rent 12 tanks to be able to do the diving I want, especially since I want to keep them for 3 -4 days because I want to hang out and do other things after I dive a couple days.

So I'm thinking it would be really cool to have my own compressor, but know absolutely nothing about them!

I have a motorhome with large basement storage I was hoping I could install one in and take whereever I go.

Can anyone tell me what is the smallest compressor available and how much I can expect to pay for it? How big and how heavy would it be? How do they work, what runs them? (I'm sure it is electricity, but would a generator be strong enough?) What type of upkeep is needed for them, etc?

Any info you could tell me would be very much appreciated. :07:

Just a thought...

You might consider owning multiple tanks. That would be much less expensive than a compressor unless you dive a real lot.

MikeFerrara:
Just a thought...

You might consider owning multiple tanks. That would be much less expensive than a compressor unless you dive a real lot.

You are probably right, but that would mean alot of tanks. Right now we are a diving family of 4 and next year the twins will be certified, so that will be 6 of us. If we want to dive at least 4 dives each that's 24 tanks. :11: That's a lot of tanks to haul around! See my problem? LOL

I think you can get a small compressor...3 cu ft/min or so for around $3,000

Max air, Bauer and some others make some small ones.

There's one that I've heard real good things about but I can't remember the name. Genesis baught one of them.

Expect at least 3 to 5 horsepower to operate a small compressor. Does your motorhome generator have enough wattage to run it. If not than gas or diesel would be the next option. Diesel would run the cost of purchase up. 3 to 3.5 cubic feet per minute is about average for a small portable compressor.This will fill an 80 from empty in 22 to 28 minutes depending on ambient temperature and humidity. Both high slower both low faster. You can see from this that filling a large number of tanks will take a number of hours and you will have to monitor the operation. I carry a 3.5 cfm gas powered compressor with me. The most tanks that I have had to fill at one time is 6 to 9 which takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours. You will need to change the filter and the oil every so many hours. I like the freedom the compressor gives me. I can even take it on a boat. I have been filling my tanks myself for 35 years. If you have question feel free to send me a private message.

Captain

I would suggest looking at rix industries.

Thanks all for your replies. I have checked out Max Air and Bauer. Both similar, anyone have any preferences.

RIX looks great, but probably a lot more expensive. I have a call in to them so hopefully they'll return it soon.

Anyone else care to share their likes, dislikes, etc.

Captain, I will probably need to go with a gas powered. I don't think my generator is big enough. It doesn't say HP on the side but maybe one of these figures tells what HP it is.

Amps 54.2
KW 6.5
AC Volts 120

Thanks again, and I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

I have been looking at Bauer and Airetex, both in the 3 to 3 1/2 cfm range both around 100 pounds, both have gas and electric models. The gas are around $300.00 more than electric. Airetex is less than Bauer, both are in the 3k range.

I agree with Mike in that you can buy alot of tanks and air for that money, and then also agree with Captain about the freedom. With all the dive shops in my area closing it is getting hard to get air fills and cramps the diving style. Which is why I am looking.

Mike

We have two traveling compressors, one 3.8 cfm (?) Bauer and a 6 cfm Rix the Rix is much quieter and allot less maintenance. Whatever size; get a manifold with 4 tank whips. Setup and equalize 4 tanks then let it go, it is much easier than watching one tank at a time which also fills the tanks hotter. We have the compressors mounted on a boat and both use the same 12 hp diesel motor it is setup to run them at the same time but usually runs just one. I would marry a Rix 6 to a 7.5 hp power source as my first choice. The Rix are also smaller which may be a consideration for you.

Your 6.5 KW generator is can run a 3 horsepower compressor but you will have to shutdown large electrial users like air conditioners while running the compressor.

Captain

Back
Top Bottom