Need instructor to work on buoyancy and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How cool is this?! I'm excited and I'm not even invited

I asked about working on skills here right after I got certified, and was told to just have fun for awhile. I found that to be great advice! My bouyancy wasn’t anything to speak of right after certification. Hyperventilating totally throws everything off - when something happens that you weren’t expecting, the tendency is to gasp or fill your lungs. Then buoyancy changes - a lot! Once you get comfortable, that happens less and less and it gets easier to manage buoyancy.

Proper buoyancy is about controlling how much air is in your lungs (among other things) and if you’re panicking about anything, it will be very difficult to manage buoyancy.

That’s my experience, anyway. I’ve got about 37 dives, and on good days/dives, I touch my inflator and dump valves very, very little. Of course that changes when I get out of horizontal position, but that’s what I’m working on next.

I asked about working on skills here right after I got certified, and was told to just have fun for awhile. I found that to be great advice! My bouyancy wasn’t anything to speak of right after certification. Hyperventilating totally throws everything off - when something happens that you weren’t expecting, the tendency is to gasp or fill your lungs. Then buoyancy changes - a lot! Once you get comfortable, that happens less and less and it gets easier to manage buoyancy.

Proper buoyancy is about controlling how much air is in your lungs (among other things) and if you’re panicking about anything, it will be very difficult to manage buoyancy.

That’s my experience, anyway. I’ve got about 37 dives, and on good days/dives, I touch my inflator and dump valves very, very little. Of course that changes when I get out of horizontal position, but that’s what I’m working on next.
That is a very good point that is worth emphasising. Like most hobbies, skills improve with time and practise. Even "just diving" type practise will help as you get more and more comfortable with what you are doing and why.

One of the awkward things about buoyancy is the slightly delayed reaction to any change - it will take a second or two after adding or removing air for the effect to be felt. That makes it a lot easier to over adjust as you think it hasn't had any effect instead of waiting a few seconds and finding it did exactly what you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom