Need more advice on the Philippines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I need your help again! As you all know, I was considering doing my DM course in the Philippines. More specifically in Malapascua. Well it's coming down to me actually being able to pull this off and talking with other members here, I've started wondering about a few things and need the expert advice from those of you who have dived Malapascua and also from others who have experience else where (all this stems from too much good diving in too many different areas).

Basically, I'm wondering if a 4-5 week stay for the course might get me bored of the island and the diving there. Yes any diving is good diving...:D But, I have no idea how Malapascua diving compares with the other renowned places to dive (other than what some have told me; but I want others input also) such as Bohol, Cabilao, etc... etc...

This said, I also know that a dm course will have me pretty busy and leave me little time to be bored...:D:D Just as many of my dives will be Workloaded dives, and then the actual fact I've been to the same site before becomes less relevant.

One of the factors I liked Malapascua was the chance for large pelagics (sharks, mantas, etc....) combined with the small stuff. Also, the lodging options were quite reasonable (I could probably get something for around 200$ for the month) which is also important. 4 weeks at 25$ a day would really add up!!!!

So basically, those who have dived Malapascua... How did you like the diving relative to other places in the Philippines? I know Bill22 prefered malboal... How about the others? Do you find there is a big difference in quality of the diving? Also, what do you think of the idea of spending 4 weeks on that little island?:D

In your oppinion, should I be considering other options for a DM course? if so, where, and why? And is there reasonable lodging possibilities?

Ah, I'm sure I'm forgetting more questions, but I'm sure you can pretty much see what I'm getting at. Any input from the PPDers would be greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance!!:coffee:

Do your DM in PG. I recommend a more experienced instructor if you want to be challenged. Start with the folks at the DIVE DOJO (Ethei Robrigado) if you are interested in learning the skills and the business. If you want to live cheap then you will need to go Small La Laguna and then you would use the guys at LLBC or Aisa Divers......there is nothing wrong with Atlantis either. If you want to live cheap and not get wrapped up in the business part then go to Sabang Inn. That will keep you busy for about 21 days if you are prepared. If you are really sharp and know the material you can complete your DM in about 14 days. Anything less and you are cheating yourself.

Thanks BadyD for your advice! I've been reading up on the diving at PG and it does seem enticing. Also, as you said, busier places will give me more experience. I definetly need to look into the places you've mentioned... Damn all these great places to dive!!! Why can,t the Philippines only have 1 good sport which would make my decision easy?:D:D:D

Is Puerto galeras very touristy? Hyper commercial with lots of people everywhere? Or is it more low key? Lots of diving traffic? Just wanting to get an idea...

Thanks again!

PG is a bit crowded at times. Busy is good for a DIVEMASTER candidate. When going PRO it is important to get the "FULL MONTY" of the business. Whoever you use make sure to coordinate your room and board. Most of the owners are connected to rentors/landlords through other contacts. If you set it up early enough you will get a better price. Just let us know who you want to use.....I recommend the DIVE DOJO if you can get the instructor. They are small enough to get the full taste of what it takes to be a working DIVEMASTER. Just let us know.

I would say Puerto Galera too,
you can get your place to stay for 200$ too.
There is great variety in the diving, even sharks at sharks cave.
I would go with Frontier scuba there(I am just back from there)-Rick the English owner is greatly experienced in Tec and Rec(10,000 dives), personable,and friendly. He will give you a great price.
It is a smaller shop-(never more than 6 divers on a trip).
XC is the divemaster and also greatly experienced(8,000 dives) and a great instructor.

wherever you go have a great time!

malapascua is a fine place to dive. it has a lot of things to offer to my manifold dive moods lolz. but seriously there's some nice diving in malapascua. but accommodation at that duration can really be a problem :(

Damn it all! I'm getting so confused...:shakehead::shakehead: I never thought choosing a location to do a DM internship would be so hard...:11doh:

Malapascua is still atractive to me because of the large pelagics I love... But I'M now really wondering if 1-The internship will not be as good for me because of lower diver traffic, 2- Less dive sites so not as interesting in the long term (I'm also wondering about the general quality of the diving as some, such as Bill22, have reported it not as good as other areas of PI), 3- very isolated and laid back which might launch me into a depression if I don't manage to keep busy. I seemed to have my mind made up, but now Im questioning myself even more (Thanks Bady D! This is partly your fault :D:D:D:D:D)

PG sounds great (especially verde) with lots of operators (which should have decent diver turnover and give me a better internship), lots to do when not diving (although I suppose this will be limited due to the workload). But from what I've read (and please correct me if I'm wrong), less pelagic oriented... I'm also affraid it might be a bit too crowded, kind of like Cozumel or the Caimans, which would be a big turnoff for me... Is this founded?

Now, I'm also thinking of Bohol. I'm trying to read up on it a bit, but not finding as much info as for PG. It seems to have a bit more "pelagic" component than PG (once again, correct me if I'm wrong). Can anybody help me out with this area? How is the diving compared to other spots, such as PG and Malapascua (for those who have been). Any recommendations on good dive OPs to do a DM internship with in Bohol? Recommendations on cheap/ decent accomodation? This area would definetly have more to do outside diving... But that's not all that important as long as I can find something to do if I'm bored... Is it heavily loaded with tourists?

I'm really really sorry for all the questions I'm asking! I've been soliciting your help and oppinions for ages now. You all have been a tremendous help to me so far (even if I'm more confused than ever). The possibilities are just so vast... And I'm trying to make the best choice possible...:shakehead: Finding an area that would suit my likings, and my budget. And then finding a decent place to do the internship. It's all turning out to be harder than I expected. Thanks for understanding... And helping!:coffee:

Don't worry about PG being crowded. There are 3 beaches that you can stay: Sabang (busiest), Small La Laguna (not so busy), Big La Laguna (laidback). So you can stay at whichever beach suits your liking and take your DMship at which ever beach suits you. It is about a 20-25 minute beach walk from Big La Laguna to Sabang.

The girl I chatted up who was taking her DMship there was staying on small la laguna. Not too quiet, not too hectic. I reco you check it out. The place she was staying was a cottage in Sunsplash resort but she was taking her DMship on Sabang (can't remember where). Sunsplash resort is pretty cool - the cottages are located in a green courtyard hidden from the beach path so it was definitely a nice little piece heaven all to yourself. edit: then we went to go party at point bar, a 5 minute walk.

I did a week of diving around the Verded island. I post about my experience here:
Puerto Galero Questions - ScubaToys Diving Forum

Damn it all! I'm getting so confused...:shakehead::shakehead: I never thought choosing a location to do a DM internship would be so hard...:11doh:

:

On a scale of 1 to 10, all your choices are 9s or above. You can't go wrong in the Philippines amigo. The worst it will be is wonderful.

Hank, do you even consider the diving at Malapascua to be a 9? And you've been there?

Just curious...

Thanks guys for your continuing support!

On a scale of 1 to 10, all your choices are 9s or above. You can't go wrong in the Philippines amigo. The worst it will be is wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom