Need opinion: Blunt or Pointed tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superkingkong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey guys,

i guess this question has been asked many times, but can't find one...

i need to get a knife, but not sure which one to get. i've got a bc knife, but want to get something bigger to be mounted on my leg :p

need your sincere opinion please. which one do you prefer? what are the pros and cons you can think of? :)

thanks.

You are less likely to injure yourself or harm your gear with a blunt ended knife. A sharp point is only likely to be of use if you plan on killing. I suppose it would be more useful in fending off an attack but that rarely works even in the movies.

I dive with a blunt tip on my leg and EMT snips on my BC.

Pete

well, it's just that i can't decide :)

if i get a blunt tip knife, i might think of, what if some pirates or sharks attack me? i need to defence myself.

if i get a pointed one, i will be thinking.... what if i accidentally cut of my hose, suit or bcd .... someone hose, suit, bcd .. maybe not in a normal situation, but in a panic situation...

arrgh.. please help me :D

A lot of pointed tipped knives end up being blunt point tips in the long run . . .

the K

Remember that a knife is often not the best tool. Snips or a line cutter are much more effective if you run into a web of monofillament line. Diving around Boston that is probably your biggest hazard.

Your biggest use for a knife will probably be as a tool to open clams and befriend fish. A blunt tip can fill that role.

Pete

Wish I could give you the perfect answer....but I cant!!! Really depends on what you are using it for! Stabbing, pointy knife....opening and prying, blunty knife imoh!!

Remeber, if you go for a decent knife you will have a blunt tip, line cutter, sharp edge and serrated edge all in one peice of equipment.

Aqualung and scubapro both do you that integrates all these features

I like the blunt knife because you can dig with it or pry open things as well as use it as a cutting tool.

hmm... thanks for the great opinion of yours...

i guess i'll go with blunt tip :)

superkingkong:
hey guys,

i guess this question has been asked many times, but can't find one...

i need to get a knife, but not sure which one to get. i've got a bc knife, but want to get something bigger to be mounted on my leg :p

need your sincere opinion please. which one do you prefer? what are the pros and cons you can think of? :)

thanks.

Blunt tip is safer for you and your gear.
If you really need to stab something, with sufficient force it can be done even with a blunt tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom