Need Recommendation for PADI Divemaster course in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom:

Many places and a great location to do your DM.

Dive Friends (new PADI 5 Star Resort and IDC)
Buddy's
Capt Don's Habitat
Toucan Dive at Plaza Resort
Eden Beach - Wanna Dive
Many others

Thanks Dan!

Yes, there are many options. That's actually why I was looking for a recommendation. Other than just scouring the various websites and sending emails to the shops, which I've been doing, I was hoping for some input from folks who have used some of these shops for instruction, to get an actual recommendation, or warning.

Any thoughts?

Also, I see that some shops offer an 8-day class (that's about how much time I'll have) and others offer a 3-6 week program. I'd love to have a couple of months in Bonaire, but I'd lose my job... Is it really possible to get the full DM certification with one of these shops in 8 days? I ask because some are labeled "instruction only" and that makes me think I wouldn't actually get the certification.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks!

Tom,
Seems like Deja Vu... this was asked before. I have NO first hand knowledge but dove with Carib Inn this past March. Gary is the instructor there and personally really like him. If I was taking any dive related course
I would try and get him as my instructor. Unfortunately Rick is another person highly thought of at the Black Durgon Inn but he is no longer on the island. but again Gary at the Carib Inn was/is a super guy.

Tom..I suggest you write an e mail to Chrissie at Buddy Dive at Belmar. I'm sure she can answer your question.. She's a great instructor and I've referred numerous folks to her & have heard great reports back.
Best of luck to you.
diving@belmar-bonaire.com

I don't mean to hijack the thread but why are you considering getting your DM cert? If you are just wanting the card then Bonaire is fine but if you intend to become an active DM working with students, a quickie course in a very easy diving enviroments is really not the best approch. You and your students would be much better served if you take an extensive course in the enviroment you intend to DM in. I know Bonaire very well and have been an active DM for the last several years so I have a feel for what is involved. A quickie course with a few experienced divers as "students" in Bonaire is not going to perpair you for being a good DM with real students in MD or pretty much anywhere else in the US. At our LDS, on average a DM takes 6 to 12 months to complete and we work with at least 2 full OW classes, an AOW and rescue class with real students. If you are looking to improve your dive skills, that is not what DM is about. It is about solving problems before they get out of hand, making a class run smoothly, working with students and to some extent teaching, not skills. As a DM you need to present a high level of diving skill as an example to your students of what a skilled diver looks like. Your skills should already be at a high level before considering DM (not saying yours are not, just making a point).

Herman, thanks for the feedback. You make some very good points that I agree with and hold as well.

Right now, I'm trying see "what I can do". I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience. Before I would even consider helping with OW classes at my LDS, I would first intern for a full season with my LDS owner/instructor.

In 2008 I got PADI and SSI Master Diver. In 2009 it is NACD Cavern, PADI Wreck, SDI Solo, and TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures. For 2010 it's TDI Extended Range and PADI DiveMaster, and yes, for 2011 it's PADI OWSI in Utila. Hey, I'm a planner.

Anyway, still looking for someone that did their DM in Bonaire and can give a recommendation.

Herman, thanks for the feedback. You make some very good points that I agree with and hold as well.

Right now, I'm trying see "what I can do". I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience. Before I would even consider helping with OW classes at my LDS, I would first intern for a full season with my LDS owner/instructor.

In 2008 I got PADI and SSI Master Diver. In 2009 it is NACD Cavern, PADI Wreck, SDI Solo, and TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures. For 2010 it's TDI Extended Range and PADI DiveMaster, and yes, for 2011 it's PADI OWSI in Utila. Hey, I'm a planner.

Anyway, still looking for someone that did their DM in Bonaire and can give a recommendation.

I can recommend getting in touch with Augusto at Buddy Dive..personal friend of mine.BUT I do recommend doing your DM course at the LDS that you ,may plan to use the DM certification at.The LDS may not appriciate that you took the course elsewhere and now want to work as a DM for them.Most LDS prefer to "grow" their own DMs..very unusual to have one taught elsewhere be used in any capacity unless they can bring something to the table that will work for them.Same goes for where you do your IDC..

Oly,

"LDS may not appriciate that you took the course elsewhere and now want to work as a DM for them"
As I said... I don't have any plans to work for my LDS. If, in the future, that would change (highly doubtful), I'm sure that it would be after adhering to whatever guidlines/supplemental training my LDS and I would agree to. As far as I understand, as an independant business, my LDS has full control over hiring.

"Same goes for where you do your IDC.. "
Now as far as an IDC goes, I really don't follow. I certainly don't want to work for an IDC, and my LDS is not an IDC. Can you help me out on this point?

Thanks!

(Herman, now I think we can consider the hijack to be complete. I'm proud to continue the fine tradition of internet board threads.) :D

Last edited:
Tom,
Just to followup on gary. Last March there was someone finishing up his divemaster cert and I think helping Gary or Gary was helping him. Anyway sounds like similar circumstances as this person was not sure if he would ever really use it,just a goal. Anyway talking out of school here as this was all peripheral to me and clearly more involved. I am lucky I am still able to blow bubbles :).

Back
Top Bottom