Need recommendations for our summer dive trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abby Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New to the forum after getting on some other forum that blew up my phone with travel agencies.
We have not been to Cozumel in many years
We are looking for a hotel and good dive shop.

Maybe a place that has a pier so we can get picked up? Our favorite place was the Fiesta Inn and we used the dive shop onsite or "Dive with Martin"
We want the option to choose a reputable dive operation.

Mid June, five persons, two experienced and three younger divers. Is it still safe to walk at night? I have heard crime is up and Lion fish down?
Thanks~
Abby

Last edited:
There are numerous posts on this forum...usually at least one a week about "Where to stay" and "Who to dive with." A search, or simply scroll through the posts will bring at least a weeks worth of reading.

Where to stay depends on what you like... We don't like the all inclusive resorts on the South end of the island. We stay in town at Casa Mexicana. Nice rooms, included fantastic breakfast buffet, $70 a night ish, and within walking distance of almost everything we enjoy. La Perlita take a cab, but we walk most everything else.

Who to dive with? again, what do you like? We dive with Aldora because they pick us up at their dock about a half a block away from the hotel and they use steel 120 tanks for longer dive times. They also have at least 6 boats so you are grouped with divers of the same skill level. If you are diving with new divers, that wont matter as much.

Christi with Blu XTsea and Dave with Aldora are huge supporters of this site. Both run top notch operations. We have dove with Dive with Martin and Blue Magic and have nothing but good things to say about them. Tres Pelicanos has a large following on this site too.. Primary differences will be cost, tank size/type, pick up point, pick up time, # of boats, surface interval location, snacks on the boat, # of divers per boat, surface strategy (as a group, timed, or as you hit 700 psi) and several other minor differences as well.

You really cant go wrong on Cozumel as long as you stay with an op using smaller boats with no more than 8 divers. There are some cattle boats operating so I would stay away from those. If you are diving with a group of at least 4, you might consider chartering your own boat through any of the operators listed in this post. We did that with DWM on our first dive trip with our daughters and it worked out great. I believe the going rate is $400 ish plus tips.

Its not hard to find great dive operators in coz, its hard to find the operator that works best for you. Luckily, that just means trial and error (not really error...), several trips, and meeting lots of great people and making new friends.

I also saw your question about crime on the lionfish post. there is a similar post last week. We have walked everywhere in Cozumel and never felt overly concerned. I'm naturally wired a little paranoid anyway but have not had a situation that I was apprehensive about. I still would not get in a beat up van with a sign that said "Free puppies, candy, ice cream, and beer" on the side of it....ok...maybe depending on what kind of beer. I would say that the crime rate per capita is much lower than the main land. Probably much lower than Jamiaca, Honduras, or the DR. Keep your senses about you, don't do anything overtly stupid, (pass out on the sidewalk with your purse next to you) and stay with someone when walking and you will be fine. Like anywhere else, don't look like an easy victim. Assholes are everywhere, but our experience in Cozumel is that by and large the people are very warm and friendly. I have too many stories to support that to include here. We like it so much we plan to move there for the better part of the year within 10 years.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Wow thanks for the information! I used to spend a lot of time in Cozumel before I had my son. It's been a long time so thanks for the much needed an update.
I really appreciate all of the responses. Any places on the North side or is it South? There was a hotel we stayed at maybe the El Cozumeleno?
Something away from the hustle and bustle, a smaller place with an ocean view? And a pier, do most dive operations pick up from that area? On our last trip we had to take a taxi to the marina at about $20 bucks maybe more? Depending on the driver. Again thanks so much.

I havent heard a word about crime being up on Coz.

My go to op is, and has been for a long time now, Tres Pelicanos.

Aldora and a couple of others on here get good reviews consistently as well, but Tres is like diving with family (well the part of the family you like anyway lol)
What's the major difference of the two? I heard of Aldora but not Tres Pelicanos, but it's been awhile.
Thanks so much for your recommendations.

Aldora and a couple of others on here get good reviews consistently as well, but Tres is like diving with family (well the part of the family you like anyway lol)

Are the boats big or six packs? And do they pick up from the north hotel zone?

Concur with JayFarmLaw-- Trying to read between the lines and discern your desires, I would recommend one of 2 things: Casa Mexicana as mentioned by Jay-- both Aldora and Blue XT Sea pick up from an adjacent pier near the hotel. Another option is to stay at Hotel Plaza Cozumel - Cozumel - Mexico - this hotel is 1/2 a block off of the beach and has a really nice rooftop pool with unobstructed views of the ocean and sunset. Rooms do not have ocean view though. Breakfast buffet at this hotel is on par with Casa Mexicana's outstanding breakfast buffet. Hotel cost is less than Casa Mexicana. If you choose this hotel, then you could still dive with Aldora or Blue XT Sea and it will be a 2 block walk to the pier that they pick up from or you can walk 1 block away to the Cozumel Diving, Cozumel Scuba Diving, Cozumel Diving Packages, Lessons, Snorkeling, Blue Magic Scuba dive shop and they will transport you for free to the marina and their boats and back again. I will be back down to Cozumel next weekend. On this trip, my wife and I will be staying at the Hotel Plaza Cozumel for 9 nights with breakfast included for $500 (taxes included) and we will be diving with Blue XT Sea. Like Jay, I can highly recommend these 3 operators and Tres Pelicanos. They all have small and fast 6 pack boats.

Concur with JayFarmLaw-- Trying to read between the lines and discern your desires, I would recommend one of 2 things: Casa Mexicana as mentioned by Jay-- both Aldora and Blue XT Sea pick up from an adjacent pier near the hotel. Another option is to stay at Hotel Plaza Cozumel - Cozumel - Mexico - this hotel is 1/2 a block off of the beach and has a really nice rooftop pool with unobstructed views of the ocean and sunset. Rooms do not have ocean view though. Breakfast buffet at this hotel is on par with Casa Mexicana's outstanding breakfast buffet. Hotel cost is less than Casa Mexicana. If you choose this hotel, then you could still dive with Aldora or Blue XT Sea and it will be a 2 block walk to the pier that they pick up from or you can walk 1 block away to the Cozumel Diving, Cozumel Scuba Diving, Cozumel Diving Packages, Lessons, Snorkeling, Blue Magic Scuba dive shop and they will transport you for free to the marina and their boats and back again. I will be back down to Cozumel next weekend. On this trip, my wife and I will be staying at the Hotel Plaza Cozumel for 9 nights with breakfast included for $500 (taxes included) and we will be diving with Blue XT Sea. Like Jay, I can highly recommend these 3 operators and Tres Pelicanos. They all have small and fast 6 pack boats.

That's sounds good for a solo trip. But with 3 boys we need a small place so I can corral them. Any advice on the other end of the island?
Thanks

Last edited:
What do you mean by "corral them?" You don't want them wandering around downtown and want to keep them localized?

We have five divers possibly six, if we don't charter a boat how can we be sure that we can maybe have a semi private boat. I'm a very experienced diver and my boys scare me as they have no fear. Steel tanks are a plus as my kids are air hogs. We will get them a refresher course. We have been diving in cold California waters and a few trips to BVI. We stayed at Marina Cay which was great as we can keep all the kids in one area. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom