Need recommendations on Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyleterry

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on wreck diving in Lake Erie. I live in Ohio, so I would prefer something on that side of the lake. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Kyleterry & Detroit diver
Have you both been down to Gilboa Quarry in Gilboa Ohio? It is just West of Findley off of I-75. They just sank a Grumman Gulf Stream turbo prop. Mike the owner is going to put a couple web cams on the plane so you can dive the quarry even when not there. Take care Jeff Greatlakes diver.

Detroit Diver

Me and four friends have been calling around reguarding some charter info up on Sanilac shores area. I talked to dave at Huron Scuba in ann arbor and he directed me to a Gary Binieki. Have you ever heard of him or dove on one of his charters? Jeff; Greatlakes diver

Hi Jeff,

Actually, I'm going to Gilboa for the first time in about 2 weeks-taking a drysuit and nitrox class. Their web site shows the plane during it's sinking.

I don't know of Gary Binieki, but I'll ask around for you. Are you looking for his phone number, or just general info about his charters?

Hey there detroit diver.
You can go on there website and see arial views of the quarry which show the plane at its new resting spot. As far as Gary, I was just wondering if you had dove his charters. I talked to him last night and we have set up a run out to the Regina and I think it was the Mary Alice B. Looking forward to it. I guess I will know what I want to know in a week. talk to ya later.. Jeff, Greatlakes diver.

Hey detroit diver
I finally made it to Sanilac Shores. The trip went flawlessy. We met at fathom four dive shop at 8am and then to the boat. Loaded up our gear and we were off. First we dove the Mary Alice B which was an awsome dive. Great vis and even went in the piolet house to drive the boat. Then we headed to the Regina which was again an awsome dive. We landed on the keel just forward of the prop and the rudder, then to the lake bottom where we headed out to the debris field. There was 18 bottles of Heinz Katchup still sitting where it landed back in 1913. The smoke stack was impressive but not nearly as impressive as the cargo hold. They didn't want anyone to go inside but I was diving with one from the charter so they let me go just inside. Even though it was a small ship at only 250ft it sure seemed huge. We bacially dove the after end up to the break in the hull and then ended the dive. Plenty of time to look around though. We did dive on the "Huron Explorer" chartered by Garry Binenki and they were very helpful and informative about the wreck site. He is the one who located the wreck back in 1986 though. Anyway I thought I would give you a heads up as to what we did. Cant wait to head back over and do the bow. By for now. Jeff Greatlakes diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom