Need S. FL pools for diving practice info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heya,

I'm looking to practice a few stage bottle techniques (trim, etc.), plus whatever else I can complicate, that I really don't want to take the time up on a cattle boat, nor a friend's boat, to complete. The deepest private pool I know of only goes to about 7' (nope, I don't know any of the rich folks down here yet - bet they'd have deep pools though).

Are there any diver-friendly pools in the S. Florida area (15 to 20 feet deep would be great, but 10' is cool) that would let me step in with a few tanks to play around?

Best,

MD

The old Divers Unlimited has a pool with new owners.They used to let me try out all kinds of gear there. It's on Pines just east of University in Hollywood. Give em a call.954-98S-CUBA.

Tamiami Pool in Miami will let you go in sometimes. It is 12 or 14 feet.

You're wasting your time in a pool - plus in an awesome deep pool like the Swimming Hall of Fame, what manager in his or her right mind is going to let some unattended Boy Scout with lots of loose tanks hanging off him get near the easily-destroyed pool and submerge for hours?
Dryfit your gear at home - that will also give you plenty of time to pose in front of your bedroom mirror all kitted out striking Dramatic Dive Poses. Then go on Jerry's boat at Parrot Island on one of his shallower dives and mess with your gear there in 40' or so. There's a DM who can help plus Jerry will be down there watching all this as well.
Do a lot of mirror work first though so you don't look like Homer Simpson Diver too much the first dozen times you rig for offshore deco diving.
Pools are for playing -> I never even taught in pools - all ocean, all the time.

Tom Winters:
You're wasting your time in a pool - plus in an awesome deep pool like the Swimming Hall of Fame, what manager in his or her right mind is going to let some unattended Boy Scout with lots of loose tanks hanging off him get near the easily-destroyed pool and submerge for hours?
Dryfit your gear at home - that will also give you plenty of time to pose in front of your bedroom mirror all kitted out striking Dramatic Dive Poses. Then go on Jerry's boat at Parrot Island on one of his shallower dives and mess with your gear there in 40' or so. There's a DM who can help plus Jerry will be down there watching all this as well.
Do a lot of mirror work first though so you don't look like Homer Simpson Diver too much the first dozen times you rig for offshore deco diving.
Pools are for playing -> I never even taught in pools - all ocean, all the time.

Thanks Tom,

I've already posed for the neighbors by lying on the front lawn. I dug a hole or two to account for the valve-end of the deco tanks, what with me displaying a perfect horizontal trim for those concerned and all. I turned the sprinklers on for that tactical wet-gear look, too.

My next plan is to simulate current by laying on the roof of my truck whilst I have the local paperboy drive it on I-95 at 65 MPH. I'm thinking I could use helium to get my safety sausage to actually deploy in an upwards direction.

Any other redneck diving tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks Renee and Marc, that's just what I was looking for. :wink:

Well Dave, the mirror stuff kinda implied doing your Jacques Cousteau French Navy Commando Eh Monsieur Prepare to Die routine INDOORS and not for public consumption, but then again, I don't live in Broward county so public performance dive art is perhaps more appreciated there. In southern Palm Beach, you would get Baker Act'ed in a heartbeat. Since you're already purportedly certified, you just need a couple of hours dry positioning, torqueing, manipulating, and tweaking the nearly infinite number of adjustments that deco bottles require. If you have to do this in your front yard, do sell tickets and keep the sprinklers off since the harnesses will be easier to adjust dry. Jeff Weinsier from Channel 10 News would also be interested in covering this story. I know that it took me a lot of hours to dial in my deco bottles' fit but then again, there are so many more experienced armchair divers on this board that I could never hope to emulate.
Secondly, without training in trimix deployment, you are liable to make a critical overinflation mistake on I-95 and achieve liftoff. In yours and surrounding neighborhoods, people enjoy recreational shooting at the Goodyear blimps and low fliers from Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport. You are almost guaranteed to get perforated unless you do this on the 1st or 15th of the month when the checks are cashed and the aim is a little off. Or you could staple a BSO sticker to yourself so they might think you were a new aerial crime-fighting tool or maybe a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie wass coming out.
I suggested Jerry's boat since at anchor in 40 feet of water on a sand patch, you can rig, adjust, dump weights, add weights, set your trim, and do all manner of experimentation in the sand without damage to yourself or the reefs or someone's concrete-surfaced pool. You can also do this on your own - I'm not sure any deep pool is going to allow a non-instructor to play with deco bottles unsupervised. Even instructors would have to have most likely named the cooperating pool as an additional insured to gain access. Again, I may be wrong about this.
Jerry is very cooperative about stuff like this, and you could probably get the DM-of-the-day, especially if it's Mike, to dive with you and help with any adjustments or observations. Again, just my suggestion on how to achieve the most effective training in a real-world environment.
IMHO, swimming pool training prepares one to dive in swimming pools.
Lake Boca is another place to do this type of experimentation if you can find a boat that will allow you to get within 100 yards of it.
That might be a problem for you these days, Oreoman...

I'll keep that in mind.

I thought about doing this on my own, but hauling the extra tanks(s) & gear over the beach for a beach dive didn't sound too appetizing. I'll probably end up doing that, though, if the pools are so against divers ... diving. Heck, it'd probably be easier to haul it all for a beach dive (overweighted, dropping weights and gear on a sand area as need be) than it would be to haul it all into a pool.

Wish my teaching salary made it as easy as you suggest chartering boats should be; but it don't, so it ain't - hence the original question asked here. As I'm not too worried about completing the different skills I want to practice, I don't feel I need - nor want - a DM babysitting me for configurations I should be able to figure out on my own. To paraphrase you - If I can't do it alone, I don't belong down there, and deserve to die - right?

We're not talking about rocket science; it's diving with an extra tank, or perhaps two tanks, on the same BP/W config... worse case scenario is I breathe the air out of the aluminum tanks to make 'em bouyant/less negative to float up, or just use my Rec Wing's lift to get me to the top and kick in. Just doesn't seem worth wasting a good boat trip over for a little fun practice.

Or isn't this supposed to be fun?

And that would be Martini Man to you, Aloha Lobster boy.

Cool!!
Hey... Do you guys know each other or is this a true pissing contest?
(One of the better might I add!)
Later guys! Marc

I thought that this thread had earned a well-deserved thrombosis and passed away, but apparently, people in Broward county do not let the dead lie dormant very long.
Instead of looking for a nice swimming pool to smash with all your tanks, why not utilize one of the many conveniently located Broward county drainage canals for training? The conditions would be ideal for cheap, low cost training with NO charter boat OR exhorbitant $4.00 parking fees. Plus it's freshwater so no rinsing is necessary after the dive, although you may want to remove some of the algae since the bus drivers may get a little bent about the weedy Rasta people getting on the bus.
Most of them are conveniently located next to major arteries, so you can take the bus to your canal of choice. This is great since most people in Broward county don't seem to own operating vehicles these days.
This also solves the problem of people in dive gear cluttering up our beaches. Imagine a nice tourist family heating south to spend some serious money vacationing and being confronted with a bunch of grunting, sweaty people in black rubber suits heading for the water.
What is this "Martini Man" stuff also? Is there new dimension to the man who defines the term "Lounge Lizard"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom