Need Snorkling Gear Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIteen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am probably going to be signing up to take the course some time in this upcoming week. My wallet is already hurting... But thats beside the point. The fact of the matter is, I will need to get myself the basics for the class. That means I will need Mask, Fins, Boots, Gloves and Hood. But I need suggestions!

I realise that of course fit and such will be a factor, however I also know that there can be some cheaper brands that are sworn by, and I know that the dive shop will want to tell me the diamond encrusted versions are what I require for even the lightest of diving. My budget is that this cannot go over $200, at max! The cheaper, but still safe, the better. I realise that mask and fins will make up the biggest chunk.

Thanks

I honestly dont see how you can do it, unless you scour craigslist for used gear, or Walmart.

Talk to your LDS where you are taking your lessons. See if they can give you a beginner's discount on gear and what is the most affordable gear they have for you. Almost every dive shop I've encountered gives their students a discount on their gear.

If you know the style and size already then you can scour Internet for used/open box demos. My two favorites are Scuba.com and scubatoys.com. LeisurePro is closer to you with their store in New York but have Internet sales and daily specials and clearance items as well.

Then there is always EBay and craigslist etc.

Good luck.

I realised after re-reading something that may not have come across clear: $200+/- not including class. Now thats clarified....

I spent over $300 on my basic gear at my LDS. I bought the cool stuff though, if you tell them you have a budget to meet I would think they would be willing to help you meet it. I know my LDS is good about that when I tell them what my budget for something is. That is why I bought my full set from them, they got me a good price for both me and my wife. You can save in areas such as your snorkel...why do we need to spend $45 on a plastic tube right??? :shocked2:

Aye, thats the thing, some gear I want to go über cheap on such as the snorkel, whilst perhaps not as cheap on something like the mask (its good to be able to see!)

just looking around at prices on the internet:
Tusa Liberator mask and snorkel set: $39.99
Mares Plana Avanti X3: $59.99
Mares 5mm boots: $29.99
Mares Trilastic 5/3 Hood: $34:95
Henderson 5mm Neosport Gloves: $18:95

So that's everything you want for less than $200 - and that's not the cheapest stuff, either. Masks are very personal items and I would suggest you try them on before buying. The mask I've listed above is not great, but it's a typical, bog standard, hard wearing rental mask - and there are better to be had for not much more money. Snorkel? Meh, try to get one that has a hole in both ends...!

Happy hunting,

Crowley

I recently got new stuff bc I wasn't happy with what my LDS pushed on me.

I bought online through leisurepro, their prices were less than 1/2 of my LDS's. I tried stuff on at the shop and ordered online. Couldn't be happier.

Goodluck!

Crowley: Question for you in particular: Will 5mil hood/boots/gloves be sufficient for up here in the North Atlantic?

Crowley: Question for you in particular: Will 5mil hood/boots/gloves be sufficient for up here in the North Atlantic?

For snorkeling probably. For scuba no, 7MM or Dry. If you bring a 5mm to Rockport bring a small tank you won't be diving long or deep. Here in RI below 40fsw you'll want a 7mm. It was 46F @ 100fsw off Castle Hill last Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom