Need snorkling tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Feeling pretty stupid posting this but here it goes.

I am having issues with my Divemaster 800m swim qual. I have tried 3 snorkels so far and by the end of the first 100m I feel like I am going to hyperventilate. I spoke with the Lead instructor yesterday and he suggested breathing in through mouth and out through the nose to eliminate dead air.

Will be trying this tomorrow, but would love some extra ideas to test out?

I really have never used a snorkel more then a couple minutes max in my life, I threw my last roll up one out, after 5 years of sitting in my BC pocket. Types of snorkels I tried this week where the Atomic SV2, Cressi something, and a generic brand, which was the best of the bunch.

Thanks,

I maybe should not reply, because I really dont know, but hopefully you don't mind me sharing this thought:

I never had a reason to do a timed snorkel, but I definitely have gotten winded snorkeling out to dive. I am then trying to not go faster than what I can sustain... and do deeper breath instead of faster ones to try to have a better fresh air volume vs used air volume per breath.
With most snorkels having a similar air volume I am not quite sure why you think changing snorkels would really make much of a difference (as opposed to changing what you do).

You feel like you "hyperventilate"... what do you mean? Just like getting winded or really like too frequent short breath?
If that happens as you go faster I would think you need to not go that fast. Max speed for "duration" is what you can sustain with real breathing ... or?

You feel like you "hyperventilate"... what do you mean? Just like getting winded or really like too frequent short breath?

Its like being on a real bad or poorly tuned regulator, I feel like I have to use all my strength to breath in a little air.

I snorkel 1 mile in the pool twice a week for exercise (and work on my kicks). I use an AquaLung Impulse 3 snorkel. I tend to take big deep breaths, and I don't have any issues getting enough air. I go at a pretty quick pace.

When snorkeling I have never had trouble breathing. Doing a surface swim after diving is way different - I really notice how much harder a snorkel breathes than a reg. I would swim slower.

You might try reaching out to Tsetudo for advice; he is a member of this forum and the author of the Cayman snorkeling guide at the link below. He may be able to advise you.

Tsetudo’s Cayman Snorkeling Guide:
http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom